My SAR gear, and stuff I intend to buy

Started by NewWaveKiller, January 22, 2008, 07:11:06 PM

NewWaveKiller

Since I plan on attending the Hawk Mountain Winter Ranger School - West, I needed to complete my SAR gear. Currently, I have:

The clothing and footwear requirements
Pistol Belt
Orange Vest
Watch
Knife
Compass
Coins for phone
Whistle
Lighter
Spoon
Leather Gloves
1 quart canteen
Canteen Cup
The food requirements
Toilet Paper
Duct Tape
550 cord (100 feet)
Locking "D" Carabiner
Flashlight w/ spare bulb and spare batteries
Three trash bags
Case for carrying matches
Signal Mirror
Sleeping Bag
E-Tool

I plan on buying the rest of the equipment I need from U.S. Cavalry, The Hock Shop, and from The Hawk Mountain BX.

Here's what I intend to buy:
3- day Pack (http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=10305&TabID=1&CatID=5)

From Hawk BX: (http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/equipment.htm)

Orange Hard Hat
Safety Goggles
Nylon Webbing
Headlamp

From The Hock Shop: (http://www.thehock.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=5&cart=491567

Poncho
Small First Aid Kit
Matches
Sleeping Pad
Butt Pack
2 quart canteen
Cover for 2 quart canteen
ALICE Y Suspenders
M-16 Magazine Pouches x 2
Compass/First Aid Dressing Pouch

From somewhere else:
Surveyor Tape

Now, my reasoning for posting this thread is I want some opinions if I'm getting the best possible deals, and if I'm getting stuff that I'll actually need. I'm on a bit of a tight budget here, as a 16 year-old (this Thursday), who just applied for a job and who will be using his birthday money for this.

Thank you.

Pennsylvania Wing
Group 6
Squadron 123
C/SSgt Rapone

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: NewWaveKiller on January 22, 2008, 07:11:06 PM
From Hawk BX: (http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/equipment.htm)

Orange Hard Hat
Safety Goggles
Nylon Webbing
Headlamp

Why do they make you buy a stupid orange hard hat when the only place you can use it is at hawk? Maybe, just maybe, they should require a white hard hat so you can use it on an actual mission... just a thought.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Tubacap

I use my orange on all missions.  Is that a state Reg that you are citing?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Tubacap on January 22, 2008, 09:11:15 PM

CAPM 39-1 Table 6-4. Wear of Badges, Patches, and Devices on Flight Suits, BDUs, Utility Uniforms and Field Uniforms.

Emergency Services Decal

centered on the front of the white helmet liner worn by members participating in emergency services missions.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

JC004

Quote from: SSgt Rudin on January 22, 2008, 10:24:01 PM

CAPM 39-1 Table 6-4. Wear of Badges, Patches, and Devices on Flight Suits, BDUs, Utility Uniforms and Field Uniforms.

Emergency Services Decal

centered on the front of the white helmet liner worn by members participating in emergency services missions.

but orange isn't nearly as silly-looking as a white helmet liner with Pluto centered on the front   :)

fyrfitrmedic

Emergency Services Decal

... and I bet that white helmet liner provides all sorts of head protection, too.  ;D
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

JC004

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on January 22, 2008, 10:54:16 PM

Emergency Services Decal

... and I bet that white helmet liner provides all sorts of head protection, too.  ;D

of course...the ones that Vanguard have are made for serious flag carrying duty.

JRChristenson

OK, let's argue about helmets on another thread and use this one to give a cadet some advice...

It says your pack has "built-in hydration system compatibility" so I think you'll REALLY be happier if you find a way to work a hydration bladder into your budget instead of canteens.

Other than that I think you've probably found some of the best bang for your buck.  I think most of us still remember living on a tight teenage budget.
Jonathan Christenson, 1st Lt, CAP
Springfield Regional Composite Squadron NCR-MO-070

NewWaveKiller

Well, I do own a 2 Liter hydration bladder from a Marine Corps mail-in deal, however, I was curious if they were still functional in cold weather environments. I think I will use that compatibility to my advantage.
Pennsylvania Wing
Group 6
Squadron 123
C/SSgt Rapone

JRChristenson

The tube insulators help, you could maybe get one of those instead of the twoquart, and just take frequent sips to keep any water from staying in the tube too long.

NewWaveKiller

U.S. Cavalry doesn't seem to carry any of those, sir. If I don't end up purchasing one, I think if I take frequent sips as you said, then I should be all right.
Pennsylvania Wing
Group 6
Squadron 123
C/SSgt Rapone

JRChristenson

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: NewWaveKiller on January 23, 2008, 01:51:43 AM
Well, I do own a 2 Liter hydration bladder from a Marine Corps mail-in deal, however, I was curious if they were still functional in cold weather environments. I think I will use that compatibility to my advantage.

Camelbak has a winter line, they are basically the same as far as the bladder goes, but the pack is insulated. You could go the cheep rout buy a 99 cent space blanket and wrap your bladder.

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

The tube insulators are available most BX's or http://www.rangerjoes.com/camelbak-tube-kit-p-2601.html

Surveyor Tape you can buy at home depot or lowes.

Safety Goggles: If you can afford it go with ESS, they aren't cheep but they are your only set of eyes. Get the flight deck series, the strap attaces in a way that makes it easy to just run threw your web gear with out having to adjust the size. it's hard to explain, but trust me it's worth it.  http://www.essgoggles.com/Flight-Deck_2_detail.html

ESS eyewear features high-impact polycarbonate lenses, which can stop a shotgun blast from 35 feet.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Michael

Quote from: NewWaveKiller on January 23, 2008, 01:51:43 AM

Make sure the thing doesn't break down on you.  Try BrigadeQM.com if you have the spare cash for the good majority of your gear.
Bill Coons, C/Capt