Air Force regulation question

Started by freeflight, November 05, 2006, 08:24:48 PM

freeflight

I'm new to the forum.  It sure contains a lot of information.  I have a question, while reading the post I noticed that there are references to Air Force regulations.  I was taught that members of CAP were accountable to CAP regulations, manuals and pamphlets during my level one. What Air Force regulations do we need to follow and where do we get them?

DNall

You can find AF regs online, but you don't need to worry much about them. We are as members governed by CAP regs, not AF regs. However, we do sometimes look to AF regs for guidance on some things, and sometimes they provide additional information about the relationship between CAP & the AF or effect how policy is made in CAP, and many times you won't be able to see behind the scenes from the CAP side. For the most part you don't need to worry about them. As an example of how you might find a practical use for them, the 39-1 CAP uniform manual is horribly written & makes it impossible to understand how you are supposed to wear a uniform w/o someone telling you the standards. The CAP standards though are taken from the AF & their manual is much better written. It's still not perfect, but it'll give you a lot of the missing information.

RiverAux

The Air Force regulations are useful for understanding how the AF deals with CAP and the limitations they have. 

MIKE

Air Force e-Publishing - Until they move everything to AF Portal.

AFOATS PUBLICATIONS

See also, Other Publications on level2.cap.gov for the really important ones for CAP.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

First and foremost we are bound by CAP regs - where there is a conflict (unlikely) CAP regs win.

There are several USAF regulations which are either complimentary to, or supplement the CAP regs.   AFI 36-2903, for example, which is the USAF's uniform manual, contains a wealth of information on how to wear / configure a number or uniform items not addressed / poorly addressed in 39-1. It is generally accepted that anything you can't find in 39-1, (+addendums, supplements, etc.) you can find in 2903.

The Drill & Ceremonies manual is another area where we actually use, or are referred to USAF regs, in fact, the manual will tell you to reference USAF "XXX", and that manual tells you to reference US Army's "XXX".

And for more fun, much of the Ground Team Manual and Leader Reference text is taken verbatim from the USAF survival manual.  Its about 2 inches thick, and can be regularly found on clearance at various book stores – hard bound.  Other than the back third which includes escape and evasion techniques, it’s a great resource.

Another USAF reg which we >do< lean on, and you will see referenced a lot if you interact with any military resources (bases, o-rides, etc.) is  AFI 10-2701. This is the reg that defines what is available and required by the US military in terms of CAP support for various events, medical emergencies, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

freeflight

Thank you for the responses.  You have cleared up some misconceptions.