Who meets on a military facility?

Started by Tubacap, June 26, 2007, 01:44:31 AM

Tubacap

I am starting a new squadron in my area, and am considering using a National Guard facility for it.  The NG seems very welcoming to the idea, but getting 24 hour key access is the last sticking point. 

What do other squadrons do for this around the country?  Getting on a major base would seem easier because you could get through someone at a security checkpoint, not an unattended lock.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

jimmydeanno

My old squadron was HQ'd on an AD AF base.  They were very accomodating, providing 2,400 square feet, in a prime spot right next to the BX.  The only issue you should have, if at all, is with aircraft.  If you have an aircraft stationed at the base, on the tarmac, there is the possibility that your aircraft could be denied permission to take off and land during specific times.  For some reason, the F-15's don't like to slow down for little guys...

My current squadron meets on a ANG Base, and has an aircraft stationed there.  Since the runway is used for both commercial and military flights, the time restraints aren't present (unless something really bad happens).

Either way, no matter how much you try or have for a relationship with the military, when it comes crunch time, you may be denied access to your facilities or flights.

The relationships with the military in both situations have been wonderful and the personnel are more than accomodating.  If you can work it out, I would - it'll save you rent and give you a semi-permanent location that looks/is pretty legitimate.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

captrncap

We use a Army NG Base but it has 24  security as they are active. Therefore we don't have a problem with access.

The security guards are not ANG but very open when we need to "pop" in to get files, etc.

We are only able to meet once per week.

MIKE

Previous unit meets at an Army Reserve Center and has it's own office on site and use of classrooms, drill hall etc.

I visited a unit briefly while attending college in New Hampshire that met at a Marine/Naval Reserve Center.  It was a very nice facility... The difference being that the unit had to bring most everything back and forth to meetings as they had little if any space of their own... And they shared what was there with the Sea Cadets which met on the same night in some of the same spaces.

When my current unit moved we looked into using an area Army National Guard Armory, but it didn't seem like they had any room for us and we would have had to pay to have someone on site while we were there.

But from my experience at the Reserve Center, I think military facilities are ideal... Especially for units that wish to have a decent Cadet Program... On the other hand, airports are overrated.  I think State Directors should work hard to get and keep units installed at area military facilities... And get the CAP units to earn their space by providing assistance to the other tenant units on site.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Quote from: Tubacap on June 26, 2007, 01:44:31 AM
  The NG seems very welcoming to the idea, but getting 24 hour key access is the last sticking point. 

That is always an initial issue.  I highly recomend that you have the PAWG Executive Director walk over to the PA DMVA and sit down with one of teh Guard leaders sometime.  Tell him that you need access 24 hours a day.....and a signatory and control letter needs to be drafted up for your and the NG Units CO signature. 

Not a big issue!  It will take the heat off of the NG Officer in charge of the armory.....if something goes missing while you are there at 3 in the AM! 

PM me and I can give you contact info if you need it!
What's up monkeys?