Space Shuttle Atlantis arrives at Edwards

Started by Smokey, June 23, 2007, 03:45:06 AM

Smokey

While some of you know that CAP is involved in launches of the shuttle at the Kennedy Space Center, not many know of CAPs involvement in shuttle recovery at Edwards AFB in California.

Today, six members of California Wing were part of the shuttle recovery team at Edwards.

The CAWG Airvan piloted by Capt Mike Lauer (by the way an astronaut corps finalist)and  co-piloted by Capt Ted Ripp participated. The aircraft was used in a dual role.  First, the SDIS system was used to photograph the orbiter with the pictures being sent back to the command post at Edwards and to NASA. The SDIS portion was handled with expertise by Lt Col Woody McCauley assisted by Capt Bob Kirby. Secondly, the Airvan crew assisted with security after the shuttle landed. 

After the shuttle landed only TWO aircraft were permitted to be airborne at Edwards;  A Navy helicopter used as a photo platform and the CAP AIRVAN!

Leading the CAP effort was  Major Brian Stover, the CAP project officer for the shuttle recovery team at Edwards who was assisted by Capt Mark McKibben, Deputy Director Homeland Security CAWG.  IC was Lt Col Ron Butts.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

IceNine

That's awesome!  I really need to move to Cali, it sounds like.  Man IL is lame!!!
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

great job guys.

if IL is so lame come across the river to Iowa

wingnut

I have a confession
I am Capt. Bob Kirby, and over the last year I have flown over 100 hours as a Mission observer, and SDIS operator. I am a retread from the 70s, rejoining again after a 30 year retirement. I have become very disinchanted with the RED tape crap and have considering leaving. BUT! Today I and five Civil Air Patrol Officers sat in a room full of 30 Army and Air force chopper pilots, para Rescue, marine Commandos. We were part of the Space Shuttle Support Team, The General new our Shuttle Ops Support Officer Major Brian Stover by his First name (The only Officer he addressed that way several times), I had pilots come up and introduced themselves, I was overwhelmed by the respect the US Army, Airforce and US Marine Corps showed us. As we flew CAP (non combat air coverage) the US Air Force Security UH1 broke, and It was Squadron 35 Civil Air Patrol CAWG that was the only resource to provide Air Support Security for the Space Shuttle.

I was bursting with pride, we are part of a tradition that goes back to the Sub Hunters of WWII, it was the fix that I needed. OH by the way we flew the Archer. I want everyone to know our comrades in arms are becoming very aware of us and our sacrifices we personally make to be a professional volunteer American Airman, The Auxilary of the United States Air force, Not CAP Corporation

Major Carrales

Well said, Capt. Kirby....very well said!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

shorning

Grrrr....pet peeve:  it's "Air Force" not "Airforce".  Let's honor them by getting their name right.

Otherwise, good job!

sardak

This support continues a joint effort that started with the first shuttle landing, Columbia in 1981.  CAP ground teams were deployed with USAF rescue personnel around Edwards in case the shuttle missed the base entirely.

Well Done!

Mike

wingnut

Now Col Shorning
Your pet peve about someone saying airforce vs Air force is exactly what I am talking about, That type of chicken crap is what runs off highly skilled Civil Air Patrol memebers, It had nothing to do with our Mission in support of the Space Shuttle.
What it was is a petty personal "NEGATIVE" comment that after a while grinds people down  and the say; "[farg]  it and you and the self blowhard horse you rode in on, Leadership is by example, you  are trying to crap on our parade, are you a file clerk or bean counter to even notice a 'Minor typo" and make a SMart ASS comment. It was 105 in the cockpit today and after 4 hours of that my tolerence level is 0% for that.
But thanks for reminding me that for 40% of the good things we do 60% of the Chicken dudes mess it up for the rest. For your information I was in th AIRFORCE for four years and before I made E3 I had alread been awarded the highest medal for bravery in peacetime, I spent 4 months of a four enlistment in the hospital for multiple injuries recieved while on dangerous missions. For this I get $500.00/month, infact Col, by the time I was an e4 I gladly called it the AIR FARCE. Yet, I am a Loyal Aiman and  I would have still died for my country regardeles of what I thought of the Chicken [mess] Ltcol. that kept screwing up and getting people killed.

Subverting curse filter - MIKE

Pumbaa

Although this will most likely not be printed in the local media, I reworked the original post into a Press Release.  I submitted it to all my local media.

Why???

Because this is the type of press that CAP needs.  It will raise the awareness of the local media, so when I do send a local squadron release, it is more than likely to be printed.

I would suggest all POA's send this release out.  Just change the last congrats line to your local Squadron.

I would also print this as a release and put in your media pack, and the packs you give to local ES.

CAP does some pretty neat things... let them know!

ETA: I also added it to the squadron website and Group.  This *IS* a source of pride within the ranks!  And a source of recruitment too.

I have a meeting with a MAJOR defense/ aerospace industry company next week (Weds), in hopes we can use their facilities for a Squadron/Flight.  I am also seeking sponsorship for aerospace activities from them.  Ya think news like this will help!?!?! YOU BET!

>>>>>>

Civil Air Patrol Helps with Shuttle Landing

Space Shuttle Atlantis descended to a smooth landing at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., concluding a successful assembly mission to the International Space Station. With Commander Rick Sturckow and Pilot Lee Archambault at the controls, Atlantis landed at 3:49 p.m. EDT on Friday.

Unknown to many people, is the involvement of the U.S. Civil Air Patrol (CAP), the Auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force.  Not only is CAP involved in launches of the shuttle at the Kennedy Space Center, but it also has an important involvement in shuttle recovery at Edwards AFB in California.

Six members of California Wing (CAWG) were part of the Space Shuttle Atlantis recovery team at Edwards.

The CAWG Airvan piloted by Capt Mike Lauer (by the way an astronaut corps finalist) and co-piloted by Capt Ted Ripp participated. The aircraft was used in a dual role.  First, the satellite-transmitted digital imaging systems (SDIS) was used to photograph the orbiter ,with the images being sent back to the command post at Edwards and to NASA. The SDIS portion was handled with expertise by Lt Col Woody McCauley assisted by Capt Bob Kirby. Secondly, the Airvan crew assisted with security after the shuttle landed.

After the shuttle landed only TWO aircraft were permitted to be airborne at Edwards;  A Navy helicopter used as a photo platform and the CAP AIRVAN!

Leading the CAP effort was Major Brian Stover, the CAP project officer for the shuttle recovery team at Edwards who was assisted by Capt Mark McKibben, Deputy Director Homeland Security CAWG.  IC was Lt Col Ron Butts.

The Chemung/ Schuyler Composite Squadron joins the entire U.S. Civil Air Patrol team in congratulating the members of the CAWG for a job well done!

Civil Air Patrol, the official US Air Force Auxiliary, is a nonprofit organization with over 57,000 members. It performs 95% of continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions as tasked by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center, and was credited by the AFRCC with saving 73 lives in 2005. Its volunteers also perform homeland security, disaster relief and counterdrug missions at the request of federal, state and local agencies. Members play a leading role in aerospace education and serve as mentors to the more than 22,000 young people currently participating in the CAP cadet program. CAP has been performing missions for America for 65 years.

MIKE

Mike Johnston