Main Menu

Interesting Day..

Started by SAR-EMT1, June 22, 2007, 12:53:20 AM

SAR-EMT1

For all you EMS and LE types out there. I was press ganged into assisting during a hostage situation in my hometown today.
Details are availible here:
http://www.wandtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6694350
and
http://www.wandtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6694430

My home was on a block that was evacuated by police and then when the police officer saw that I was wearing an EMS shirt asked if I could go over to the CP/ staging area as they were at the time short of EMS support.
Spent the day in the hot sun in body armor crouching next to several officers until several ALS rigs arrived via mutual aid calls. Soon a SWAT team was called in and I ended up talking their helo down.

All in all, seemed to be OVERKILL from my perspective. One gunman, one hostage and over 300 Officers. :)

No one hurt and all hostages released.... but I sure was surprised to see so many news vans in this little town.  (the population is only 3000, but we had crews from all the cable networks and stations from as far away as Indiana, Missouri, and Wisconsin.)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Al Sayre

Glad that all came out well in the end!
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Pumbaa

Did you file all the appropriate paperwork before going?   >:D

Tubacap

So would that be self deployment????  We're you wearing your CAP undies as per 39-1 with appropriate booney hat?

On a serious note, it's always nice to know that there are people like you in every community
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Flying Pig

If your suspected of shooting a cop, theres no such thing as "overkill"  ;)

Mustang

Overkill?  For the cops, its like living their own [insert favorite Hollywood hostage drama]!
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "