Main Menu

Computer System help

Started by IceNine, June 18, 2007, 02:18:27 AM

IceNine

So, I just got voluntold that I was going to maintaining the unit computers.  I will want to ensure that files are updated on a regular basis but want to make this as easy as I can for myself. 

So, what does it take to burn a disk with all the files I need to update and (after the prompts) have them saved to a pre-set location. 

For instance, if I download all of the forms off of nationals  Can I burn a disk that will "put" these files in a location of my choosing when I or the various members put the disk in?

AND can I set multiple files to multiple locations on one disk?

Thanks All
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Al Sayre

I routinely burn a new CD every month with all of the Regs, Manuals, Pamphlets and Forms from NHQ.  I just make copies of it as needed.  We have some internet access problems at Squadron HQ and that's the easiest way to keep them updated.  I also keep a copy of the CD in my IC go-kit and one in my laptop bag as well.  I don't even bother storing them on the computer as it's not really worth the trouble with a fresh disk every 30 days.  The disks are so cheap now, why waste the time.  Just be sure to write the date on the disks so you know which is the most recent.  When you insert the disk, you can read the files directly, and save space on your hard drive to boot...YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Tubacap

If you have multiple computers and an internet connection, I have found a relatively new service by microsoft (I apologize) that is called foldershare.  It links multiple computers together and updates the last save date on any given document to all the other computers.  It is strictly an overwrite program and not a synchronization program though, so you have to watch out for it.   More info at www.foldershare.com

What is the exact situation?  Are you looking to have info backed up, or are you looking to keep everything downloaded?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

IceNine

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 18, 2007, 02:28:07 AM
I routinely burn a new CD every month with all of the Regs, Manuals, Pamphlets and Forms from NHQ.  I just make copies of it as needed.  We have some internet access problems at Squadron HQ and that's the easiest way to keep them updated.  I also keep a copy of the CD in my IC go-kit and one in my laptop bag as well.  I don't even bother storing them on the computer as it's not really worth the trouble with a fresh disk every 30 days.  The disks are so cheap now, why waste the time.  Just be sure to write the date on the disks so you know which is the most recent.  When you insert the disk, you can read the files directly, and save space on your hard drive to boot...YMMV

I thought about that but this is for multiple computers with multiple users and skill levels,  The second part to this is that I want to be able to go to any of the computers at any time and access the files I load without looking.  So, the disk will work If I can load the disk on all computers which will require seeing them on a regular basis, So...

Quote from: Tubacap on June 18, 2007, 02:37:04 AM

What is the exact situation?  Are you looking to have info backed up, or are you looking to keep everything downloaded?

The program you noted I think is exactly what I need, I want to keep everything downloaded Forms, Regs, SIMS programming/database, IMU etc.  And, I need to do this on 8 computers so to keep my life easy I want common use files such as those listed in the same directory name on each different PC.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

BlackKnight

We have broadband internet at our squadron HQ and all our computers are networked, so we train our members to grab the latest version of a regulation or CAP form from NHQ or our wing website.  For custom files (squadron OI's, databases, SIMS, etc.) we have a LINUX RAID file server that is the common storage location. All the local PCs connect to the file server via a networked drive assignment in Windows.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Tubacap

Be careful with putting SIMS on foldershare.  I have yet to test it, and plan to do it tomorrow actually.  I'll let you know how it works out.  As far as the IMU, that should be current whenever because it is an internet based application with a server in AZ.  As far as national inforation, I would suggest just downloading them from the national website.  If you have local level documents, then use foldershare.  That way you are guaranteed that everything is up to date.  Good luck!
NER-PA-001

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Tubacap on June 18, 2007, 05:02:09 PM
Be careful with putting SIMS on foldershare.  I have yet to test it, and plan to do it tomorrow actually.  I'll let you know how it works out.  As far as the IMU, that should be current whenever because it is an internet based application with a server in AZ.  As far as national inforation, I would suggest just downloading them from the national website.  If you have local level documents, then use foldershare.  That way you are guaranteed that everything is up to date.  Good luck!

So how did it go?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Tubacap

As usual, I got waylaid, but will be back down I think this Monday or Tuesday. I will let everyone know then.
NER-PA-001

Tubacap

Okay, so I set up SIMS for a foldershare.  The way I did it, was deleting all of SIMS off of my laptop, and then sharing it from the desktop.  When I shared it to my laptop, I created a new folder so everything transferred identically.  It worked.

Pros:
1.  Does not require a server
2.  Updates multiple computers
3.  Allows read only access to the system for multiple users
4.  Constantly updates any number of computers

Cons:
1.  Is NOT synchronization software: will overwrite all copies with latest version of file. 
2.  Will delete file off of all computers if it is deleted off of 1

So far this seems like a pretty efficient way for me to have everything in sync.  I am the guy who usually does all the maintenance on the file, so the file being overwritten because two people are working on it at the same time is unlikely.  It seems like this could save me a lot of hassle on Tuesday night meetings!
NER-PA-001