Main Menu

LE-SAR Mission

Started by Flying Pig, June 16, 2007, 04:40:05 PM

Flying Pig

We spent 3 hours circling over Edison Lake yesterday looking for a fisherman who's boat sank.
The water was only about 10 feet deep where he was.  However, with us circling overhead, I was able to direct the diver to a deep trench about 50 yards from where the boat sat on the bottom. The body was located in the trench being pushed into the deeper part of the lake.
The water was about 55 degrees.  Edison Lake is in the Sierras at about 8000 ft and very remote.  Although a tragedy, I was glad we were able to locate the victim quickly to get the family closure.  The lake is filled by snow melt and freezes in the winter.  It could have literally been years before we would have ever located him.  Im not a diver, but I guess diving deep at high altitude can be pretty dangerous.

This wasnt CAP related. 

Hawk200

It's good that you see the upside. Some people think that we should only deliver good news. However, it can be said that bad news is better than none at all.

I remember a crew that found a downed aircraft one time that they weren't even looking for. Turned out it was a guy that had been missing for almost ten years. The wife and familiy had literally lived in the past for the whole time, and had dealt with all kinds of speculation over his disappearance. Once they got the news and some therapy, they were given the chance to move forward again. Most of the times, good or bad news, the family just needs to know.

Tubacap

I was just on my first mission where we did not actually have a find.  It was not very pleasant leaving that mission knowing that the person was still out there somewhere.

Good work on your find though!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Major Lord

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 16, 2007, 04:40:05 PM
We spent 3 hours circling over Edison Lake yesterday looking for a fisherman who's boat sank.
The water was only about 10 feet deep where he was.  However, with us circling overhead, I was able to direct the diver to a deep trench about 50 yards from where the boat sat on the bottom. The body was located in the trench being pushed into the deeper part of the lake.
The water was about 55 degrees.  Edison Lake is in the Sierras at about 8000 ft and very remote.  Although a tragedy, I was glad we were able to locate the victim quickly to get the family closure.  The lake is filled by snow melt and freezes in the winter.  It could have literally been years before we would have ever located him.  Im not a diver, but I guess diving deep at high altitude can be pretty dangerous.

This wasnt CAP related. 

Dam gruesome work sometimes....It is good to give the family closure. As a Diver, I can attest to the fact that high altitude diving presents special challenges. The rescue divers themeselves can become victims all to easily. Recreational divers try not to dive for 24 hours after flight, which is pretty much impossible in the conditions you describe.

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."