Main Menu

Our Organization

Started by jb512, June 07, 2007, 02:58:41 PM

jb512

I have just re-joined CAP after being a cadet many years ago.  I've been working my way back into things and began noticing a few things that cause me a little concern.  When I found this site, I saw that many of those concerns are your concerns and they keep being addressed over and over.  Lets see if we are all on the same page or if it's just me....  I'm not jumping right into the boat complaining, I just think there are a few things that we need to clean up to get a nice shine...

1.  We are the CAP, USAFAUX.  We started as a defense aspect of the U.S. years ago and what we should focus on now.  Move forward in the areas of SAR, Homeland Security, and Border Patrol by recruiting, training, and retaining good people and weed out the bad or non-performing.  Hold the standards higher and you'll hold better people.

2.  Quit with the uniform problems already.  It looks like the uniform issue revolves around weight.  I am a very particular person when it comes to uniform and professional image, but not all good people fit into an AF uniform.  Have the AF uniforms set the standard and make ONE alternate for each version.  Make the insignia requirements the exact same for each set and have commanders enforce them strictly.  There isn't much of an excuse for having your ribbons on upside down, or a crooked nametag.  Stop changing uniform regs every 6 months.

3.  Get the regs in order.  Make a list of all of the discrepancies and change them.  When in doubt, mirror the AF regs (as much as applicable).  Quit sending out directives and memos and killing trees.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

4.  When you get your good group of people and they're settled into a job that they do well, then let them do it.  All you should have to do at that point is delegate authority to get the job done.

I'll quit for now and see what kind of pot I've just stirred.........

Flying Pig

I like it....your hired!

ColonelJack

Lt. Badder, I like the way you think!  Let's see what we've stirred here:

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 07, 2007, 02:58:41 PM
I've been working my way back into things and began noticing a few things that cause me a little concern.

Just a few things?  We call people like you "optimists."   ;D

1.  We are the CAP, USAFAUX.  We started as a defense aspect of the U.S. years ago and what we should focus on now.  Move forward in the areas of SAR, Homeland Security, and Border Patrol by recruiting, training, and retaining good people and weed out the bad or non-performing.  Hold the standards higher and you'll hold better people.

Agreed.  But don't neglect Cadet Programs, either ... it's the primary reason we still have the Air Force on our side.  (In my opinion, anyway.)

2.  Quit with the uniform problems already.  It looks like the uniform issue revolves around weight.  I am a very particular person when it comes to uniform and professional image, but not all good people fit into an AF uniform.  Have the AF uniforms set the standard and make ONE alternate for each version.  Make the insignia requirements the exact same for each set and have commanders enforce them strictly.  There isn't much of an excuse for having your ribbons on upside down, or a crooked nametag.  Stop changing uniform regs every 6 months.

Here, you are preaching to the saved, Brother.  We've all said similar things on this board over the past few months.  The problem with having only one alternate to each version is this:  if we go with the current style of Corporate uniform, we don't have one for the "fuzzies."  So the best we can do here is:  allow Corporate blues for all who don't fit AF uniforms or keep the aviator grays for the "fuzzies."  

3.  Get the regs in order.  Make a list of all of the discrepancies and change them.  When in doubt, mirror the AF regs (as much as applicable).  Quit sending out directives and memos and killing trees.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agreed 100%.  Too much of what comes down from NHQ these days seems to be an attempt to fix something that hasn't even shown signs of breaking yet.

4.  When you get your good group of people and they're settled into a job that they do well, then let them do it.  All you should have to do at that point is delegate authority to get the job done.

In a perfect world that's exactly how it would be done.  Sadly, our world ain't perfect, and what we too often find is that when people are doing a good job, their leaders may try to take credit for the work, destroying the motivation of those doing the good job.  (It happened that way in the squadron I later commanded.  I almost quit at one point when a person who shouldn't have ever been in command made life unbearable.)

Good stuff ... now let's stir the pot some more.  You never know what will float to the top.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

jb512

Agreed.  But don't neglect Cadet Programs, either ... it's the primary reason we still have the Air Force on our side.  (In my opinion, anyway.)

I don't see many problems with the cadet programs.  There are tons of things that benefit the cadets, parents, and AF.  Most of the officers I've seen running it are very involved parents who do a good job because they have an investment in it and they enjoy it.

Here, you are preaching to the saved, Brother.  We've all said similar things on this board over the past few months.  The problem with having only one alternate to each version is this:  if we go with the current style of Corporate uniform, we don't have one for the "fuzzies."  So the best we can do here is:  allow Corporate blues for all who don't fit AF uniforms or keep the aviator grays for the "fuzzies."  

This may be pushing things, but phase out the grays and relax the grooming standards for the corporate.  You'd still have to have a good hair cut, but neatly groomed facial hair could be allowed.  The navy did it for years.

In a perfect world that's exactly how it would be done.  Sadly, our world ain't perfect, and what we too often find is that when people are doing a good job, their leaders may try to take credit for the work, destroying the motivation of those doing the good job.  (It happened that way in the squadron I later commanded.  I almost quit at one point when a person who shouldn't have ever been in command made life unbearable.)

Good stuff ... now let's stir the pot some more.  You never know what will float to the top.

Jack

Thank you sir.  Glad to know I'm not the only one.

RogueLeader

You'll find that there are a lot of like minded people here on captalk, but we don't always agree.  That leads to some great, if nothing else-funny, discussions.  If you have a question, please ask and we try to do the best we can.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AlphaSigOU

L-T...

Which unit is TX-371?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jb512

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 07, 2007, 06:24:23 PM
L-T...

Which unit is TX-371?

We're the Apollo Composite Squadron in Georgetown.... just north of Austin.

IceNine

Jack

[/quote]

Welcome back first off...now on with the show

The only thing I can comment on is this.  As you move up, down, sideways and crossways in this organization just remember that CAP's only pay is the "bling" we get for a job well done so if you want good people to continue doing good reward them, commanders commendations, etc...those are designed for excellent performance with minimal supervision so in my opinion at least %30 of the membership or more should have them not just wing and higher staff, or for the less awesome but still appreciated give them a good handshake and a sincere thank you.  Don't just leave them to continue with all the authority they need.

Other than that, see one of the moderators later to get your robe and sash I think there's a spot on the top row for the choir.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JohnKachenmeister

There are uiniform issues?  I hadn't heard.
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 07, 2007, 07:40:12 PM
Really ??? I thought we started that thread yesterday ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 07, 2007, 06:47:25 PM
L-T...

Which unit is TX-371?

Ah, cool... you're in our group (Group III)! Give Lt Fischler my regards.

Contrary to popular belief, the 'Addison Mafia' doesn't run the group...  we used to, though!  ;D

Welcome aboard CAPTalk... from one former cadink to another!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SAR-EMT1

No... its the FLIGHT OFFICER MAFIA that really runs CAP.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

jb512

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 08, 2007, 03:22:24 AM
L-T...

Which unit is TX-371?

Ah, cool... you're in our group (Group III)! Give Lt Fischler my regards.

Contrary to popular belief, the 'Addison Mafia' doesn't run the group...  we used to, though!  ;D

Welcome aboard CAPTalk... from one former cadink to another!

I'll be sure and tell her.  This seems to be a good place for information and support so I plan to use it well.  Glad to be here.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 08, 2007, 04:53:00 AM
No... its the FLIGHT OFFICER MAFIA that really runs CAP.

;D

<-- was briefly a TFO (years ago) before getting 'made' in the CAP LPA.  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

L-T...

Which unit is TX-371?

Greetings from Sunny Corpus Christi, Texas (SWR-TX-026), look forward to one day working with you.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Come on now... you know the Texas Wing Map only that three cities..."Addison, Addison and Addison, Travel Agents."  ;D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jb512

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 08, 2007, 03:54:05 PM
L-T...

Which unit is TX-371?

Greetings from Sunny Corpus Christi, Texas (SWR-TX-026), look forward to one day working with you.

Hello to you too, sir.  I look forward to it too.

Anyone else going to the encampment next week?  I'll be there as a TAC officer.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 08, 2007, 05:44:51 PMAnyone else going to the encampment next week?  I'll be there as a TAC officer.

Gonna give it a pass this year, as next Saturday I'm being installed as Worthy Patron in the local Order of the Eastern Star Chapter. Major Sutton (TX Wing DCP) keeps bugging me to attend, either on staff or as a TAC.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 08, 2007, 06:28:30 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on June 08, 2007, 05:44:51 PMAnyone else going to the encampment next week?  I'll be there as a TAC officer.

Gonna give it a pass this year, as next Saturday I'm being installed as Worthy Patron in the local Order of the Eastern Star Chapter. Major Sutton (TX Wing DCP) keeps bugging me to attend, either on staff or as a TAC.

Congrats on the Installation!
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

acarlson

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 07, 2007, 07:40:12 PM

I agree... my uniform fits just fine...   :angel:
<suspiciously, glancing around for the next change   ::)   >

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

shorning

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 08, 2007, 06:28:30 PM
Gonna give it a pass this year, as next Saturday I'm being installed as Worthy Patron in the local Order of the Eastern Star Chapter.

I have no idea what you just said, but congratulations or condolences as appropriate.

bosshawk

Steve: you aren't supposed to know.  Secret organization.  You and I don't have the appropriate security clearances to know.

Seriously, glad to see CAP folks make it big in other, worthwhile organizations.  Congratulations.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777