Improving CAP, what can we REALLY do?

Started by NEBoom, June 05, 2007, 07:24:59 PM

RogueLeader

Just don't promise more than you can deliver.  Nothing can kill more programs is that you lose credibility to the clients.  Also, be very clear about your capabilities.  If you say you can do photo recon and transmit very quickly, you had better tell them what is realistic for what quickly means.  If the photos of a mission add up to 175+ megabytes, it's going to take a while to send, and that's after interpritation.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 08, 2007, 03:09:14 AM
3) remember that we're here for the good of the organization and its members, not for personal advancement

Ok, I have to pull the BS Card on this one, this is purely romantic view, there is not a person on the planet who does not want, or at least dream about being something more until there is nothing more to be had, so if you delete the last 4 word of that statement it was true.  You can all go on dreaming about being the next Maj Gen or whatever and keep working on your stuff just keep others in mind, and try not to step on my fingers on the way to the top!
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davedove

Quote from: J.Hendricks on June 08, 2007, 07:53:55 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 08, 2007, 03:09:14 AM
3) remember that we're here for the good of the organization and its members, not for personal advancement

Ok, I have to pull the BS Card on this one, this is purely romantic view, there is not a person on the planet who does not want, or at least dream about being something more until there is nothing more to be had, so if you delete the last 4 word of that statement it was true.  You can all go on dreaming about being the next Maj Gen or whatever and keep working on your stuff just keep others in mind, and try not to step on my fingers on the way to the top!

That's a good point.  Maybe it should have said "not JUST for personal advancement.  There's nothing wrong with personal advancement.  I try to get all I can, but I like to think the different classes and such help me to serve the other members and the organization.  The key is to give the other members as much attention as you give yourself.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ZigZag911

I believe the Core Values of the USAF express it very nicely: Service Before Self.

There is nothing wrong with seeking to improve yourself, to advance in CAP, to aspire to higher levels of command.

I suppose it sounds rather idealistic....but the exact problem with this organization right now is self-centered careerism and cronyism.

So, Lt Hendricks, be as cynical as you wish, and disagree to your heart's content, but kindly refrain from describing my views as BS!

jb512

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 08, 2007, 05:48:02 PM

I believe the Core Values of the USAF express it very nicely: Service Before Self.

There is nothing wrong with seeking to improve yourself, to advance in CAP, to aspire to higher levels of command.

I suppose it sounds rather idealistic....but the exact problem with this organization right now is self-centered careerism and cronyism.

So, Lt Hendricks, be as cynical as you wish, and disagree to your heart's content, but kindly refrain from describing my views as BS!

Hmm.  I think that one should aspire to be where they are the most comfortable and qualified to be.  If you have the natural ability to be a Maj Gen, then you'll be one.  By doing your job, getting your promotion requirements done as they need to be for yourself, and helping others get the overall job done, you'll progress.  If you need to be a 2d Lt your whole career, then that's where you should stay.  Helping and commending others when they need it just makes you a better leader anyway. 

The self-centered people stand out, and it does more harm than good in the long run.  They're starting to stand out a little and people do take notice.

Maybe I'm a bit idealistic, but I'll tell it like it is.  If someone doesn't truly deserve to be in a position, then why let them continue...  Put someone there who can do the job and let them build on it.

Nick Critelli

OK...now that we have that out of our system....let's get back on topic. 

What can we "REALLY" do to improve CAP.

As in my prior post, I believe the best thing we can do is to keep everyone on focus as to how we are going to meet our customer's needs and what they can do to help.

People sign on to CAP for various reasons but somewhere at the core you will find service to their community.  They take the time from their daily life to put back in to their community. A vast majority of people don't and don't care.

True they may like the bling, or the cloths, or this or that but the core reason they belong is service.