Improving CAP, what can we REALLY do?

Started by NEBoom, June 05, 2007, 07:24:59 PM

NEBoom

Quote from: NEBoom on June 05, 2007, 07:06:44 PM
Quote from: ncc1912 on June 05, 2007, 04:25:58 PM
Contrary to what our regulations and manuals would like us to believe, we do not really have the training capability that we need to bring our new members up to speed in a efficient and sufficient manner.  What does that leave you with?  Old amateurs teaching new amateurs old haphazard ways of doing things through "on-the-job" training under the auspice, "That is the way it has always been done."

I long for the day that CAP is looked upon reverently by those outside our organization (and within) with any clue about our history or what we do, but it is going to take the thought and commitment of those of us within to help change the waning perceptions.  It is going to take the actions of our "leadership" to evolve CAP into a 21st century organization with a 21st century mission and clear and distinct goals.  Otherwise, the oath and everything we currently take seriously is going to become meaningless, because we will have become obsolete.

Are the oaths (whatever form they take) really going to improve all this?  Probably not.  It is going to take leaders who are committed to the organization and not their own political agenda or legendary aspirations.  Uniform changes, more ribbons, vehicle paint schemes, more ribbons, specialty badges, more ribbons, reverse flag patches, more ribbons and new oaths reek of a hound marking his firehydrant rather than leading his pack and hunting his game.

Quote from: 12211985 on June 05, 2007, 02:45:40 PM
First you FIX THE ORGANIZATION, then establish the oath.  Jeebus!   
Indeed, but we are really waisting our time, because we are all just "preaching to the choir."

IMHO this is one of the best posts on this board in a long time (including and especially the last sentence!).  And yes, by the way, I AM wasting time on here instead of doing something productive!!   :)

But there are a LOT of good ideas out there on how to improve CAP, and a lot of these ideas can be implemented without major decrees or blessings from above.  I'd like to see all of us (myself included) spend more of our energies on here focusing on those ideas.  Who's actually tried some of the things we see posted on here?  Did it work for you like it worked for the originators of the idea?  That would be beneficial discussion, to me at least.

I lifted the above from the "oaths of office" thread in Membership.  This post got me thinking, and I figured we could all use a good discussion on this.  I've grown weary of talking about all the problems in CAP.  Let's talk solutions!!

I guess I don't want to rehash all the ideas that are out there (thought avoiding that might be difficult).  I just want to know who has tried things they've picked up on there, and did the ideas work for your or not?  If so, how is it going?  If not, what were the obstacles that prevented it?

To start off, we're in the process of a couple things here in NEWG.  We're just starting a pilot OTS program for new Seniors based on the Iowa Wing model (and I mean we're JUST starting, in discussion phase only at present).  I'm excited by the potential of that program.  The Iowa guys swear by it (but then again, they swear by everything they're doing... ;)).  I think it could really help retention.  But...it's going to be a HUGE project for a smaller wing like us.  I'll keep you all posted on progress on that as we go.

We're also trying to implement a wing CP training program akin to Texas' CTEP or California's ILP, but on a smaller scale to better reflect our situation.  I also want to couple that with the "Cadet Great Start" idea that's come out of New Hampshire.  We do have a handful of Squadrons now using the "open house" method of recruiting.  It is proving a challenge for some of the smaller squadrons to pull off effectively because they just don't have the manpower and experience to get everything done in the "first class" manner that it needs to be.  Still, they are gaining members with it by all the talk I've heard.

Results of all this are still up in the air, but at least we've managed to take good ideas from around CAP and make a plan of sorts out of them.

Who else has tried?  How far along are you?  What have your results been??

Let's use this forum to help each other out, and really try to improve CAP (yeah I know, I'm and idealistic fool...what can I say?)!!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

JC004

Focus on leadership and communication -- everything else follows.   :)

RogueLeader

About the Iowa model, it's a great idea, and it works for most.  There are some members who cannot make it to wing for six consecutive months.  The way I would do it is allow training at the local levels, but they need to make it to wing ensure that what thy learned is up to standards within Wing policy.  With this model, the personnel would not be allowed to have a full position, like Emergency Services Officer, or whichever track they want/needed.  This ensures that all standards are met, while letting the new member be active.  For an ES specialty, the member would have to attend an ES Academy to be a rated member.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Just Work the Program...

Instead of trying new models, building new concepts, trying to establish footholds in operations we have no business being involved in, etc.

Show up for meetings, execute and participate in >CAP< training, wear your uniform correctly, and stow the whining for awhile.  Its been more than a decade (if ever)  since CAP has been fully operational on a national level.  Getting to that would be the best thing we could do towards growing the program to other arenas.

If you're not flying, find a way to fly, not pounding the ground, find a way. Fully-functional programs with engaged members usually don't need recruiting events because they have all they can handle with organic growth through direct contacts and referrals.

There's always a way, you just have to be persistent. Too many of us quit after the statement, "I can't do 'x' because we don't have a 'y'". I promise you, everything we are all looking for in CAP - service, respect, cool activities, everything.  Is already there, if we'd just do it.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

Hey Dan!!

In know you are coming this was (iowa) during this summer, however I don't know if you know about the ICAPA plan we have in effect.  In essence it is a training along side the CTEP program, converted to Iowa standards.  However the ICAPA plan cannot and wouldnot stand on its own without the Wing Transition happening first.  We can create great CP programs, but the Officers have to be on board, or you are going to burn out by  doing all of the work yourself.

James

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2007, 09:11:41 PM
Just Work the Program...

Instead of trying new models, building new concepts, trying to establish footholds in operations we have no business being involved in, etc.

Show up for meetings, execute and participate in >CAP< training, wear your uniform correctly, and stow the whining for awhile.  Its been more than a decade (if ever)  since CAP has been fully operational on a national level.  Getting to that would be the best thing we could do towards growing the program to other arenas.

If you're not flying, find a way to fly, not pounding the ground, find a way. Fully-functional programs with engaged members usually don't need recruiting events because they have all they can handle with organic growth through direct contacts and referrals.

There's always a way, you just have to be persistent. Too many of us quit after the statement, "I can't do 'x' because we don't have a 'y'". I promise you, everything we are all looking for in CAP - service, respect, cool activities, everything.  Is already there, if we'd just do it.

There it is, in a nut shell!

It's not often that Bob and I are in 100% agreement...but this is what it all comes down to.  Do the program as written.  Provide the training, complete the training, do the missions.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jimmydeanno

I agree that too often we focus on the negative things and don't talk about things that we can actually do something about.

I, for one, am quite impressed with the quality of product coming out of the Cadet Programs Shop at NHQ over the last few years.  TLC, new cadet leadership books (not the re-written old books), revised CP specialty track guide, proposed orientation guide, proposed Cadet of the Month program guide, proposed Cadet uniform inspection guide, new NCSAs, online cadet progression tracking, etc.  There's more on the way too!

I, honestly, could not expect more out of our CP staff at this point, they are doing a fantastic job.  Many think that the CP is being 'watered down,' I don't think so.  CAPs cadet program is considered THE cadet program.  I for one don't enjoy re-inventing the wheel, and love to use the curriculum and guides NHQ has written.

The great thing is that programs like TLC help to clarify the multiple interpretations that our CP staff have about 'how' the CP should be run.

Here are some ideas of what we can really do:

1) Give feedback on things provided by NHQ for review.  NHQ CP staff have been extremely receptive to feedback regarding their new publications.  For those of you who don't know, they post them on this page:

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/cadet_programs/index.cfm?nodeID=6900&audienceID=4

If you have input, you can e-mail them and give it to them.

2) Recruit better: Too often we get members to join under false pretenses.  We tell them tales of glory and granger, instead of telling them how things really are.  We tell them of the hundreds of lives saved every year as if they all happened in our squadrons.  We tell them of awards and flight training, and of banquets. We tell them our squadron is home to a 3 time national drill team, even though it was in 1976-79.  But we rarely tell them of paperwork, long hours, some inadequate training. We can fix this without any effort, and people won't feel disappointed when things are exactly as you told them.

3) Thank people more: We have numerous organizations, business and individuals that donate money, time, services and equipment to our organization.  We also have people who donate their time and effort to the organization and get no thanks in return.  We can go out of our way to give more Certificates of Appreciation, or just plain say "thank you."  As I say goodbye to our members each night, I thank them for coming, and tell them I appreciate their help.  It may seem overboard that I thank them all individually as they trickle out, but I mean it, and I think they know I mean it.

We can give thank you plaques to businesses that help us, or provide us a location.  How often to we thank the people that host us?  We can do this everyday, anytime, and we don't need a regulation to be written or huge sources of funding, or even training to do it.

Just some things I can think of now, but I think they are worthwhile investments of time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Tubacap

After just talking to a disheartened member, I would say that the biggest thing to help ourselves is to thank ourselves.  We all have someone under us that works very hard at something.  Take the time to say thank you to them and that you appreciate that.  At the same time, don't get discouraged if your superior doesn't do the same to you.  If your the AOBD on a mission, make sure you tell your pilots how much you appreciate them after they get done flying their sorties, it'll make them want to do it again.

A little bit of praise beforehand goes a long way when you have to make a suggestion later!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Tubacap

I just fully read the articles beforehand and my previous post was a little bit redundant... sorry last 4 hours were on the phone with other members as my dog stared at me.  :P
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: NEBoom on June 05, 2007, 07:24:59 PM
We're also trying to implement a wing CP training program akin to Texas' CTEP or California's ILP, but on a smaller scale to better reflect our situation.

Florida Wing did something like this for a few years a while back.  It started with one activity and a very creative and new DCP.  It was known as the Florida Leadership Academy.  In the beginning it was a single course which quickly evolved into a total of 4 (Airman Leadership School taught at group level, NCO Academy, Cadet Officer Basic Course and Cadet Officer Advanced Course all taught at wing level, the COAC was considered an RCLS), though it wasn't completely finished (as far as I could tell) before the DCP that started this was whisked away to region and the incoming DCP wasn't too keen on keeping the program.

If you have any specific questions, I will actually be in Nebraska helping staff AFWAFC starting next weekend, I will see what information I can get at my wing conference this weekend.  Being a cadet back then hindered me a little from getting detailed information, all I have right know are observations from the student side.

I will also see what info I can dig up and post here.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

shorning

Quote from: lordmonar on June 05, 2007, 11:06:43 PM
It's not often that Bob and I are in 100% agreement...

Did the earth's rotation slow for just a second there?!?  ;)

lordmonar

Quote from: shorning on June 06, 2007, 03:20:08 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 05, 2007, 11:06:43 PM
It's not often that Bob and I are in 100% agreement...

Did the earth's rotation slow for just a second there?!?  ;)
No...but Satan just called the Matag Repaiman to look at the boiler!  >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SeattleSarge

Group,

This is a topic I discuss almost weekly with other members in my squadron.  Our diversity and varied backgrounds make the dicussion even more interesting.

It is easy to become discouraged with Wing Staff who are out of touch and a National program that seems senseless. 

Our answer has been to just focus on our local organization.  To make our training and programs the best in the wing.  To disregard all the noise coming from outside.  To include those who have something to offer and show those that don't participate, the door.

Many of us also participate in other organizations (Pilot's Assn, USCG Aux, County and State SAR and emergency mgmt) and bring those experiences and training to bear. 

Always looking for other ideas.....

SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

NEBoom

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2007, 09:11:41 PM
Just Work the Program...

We're on the same page here.  I'm not one of these who wants to completely reinvent CAP.  But part of being persistent and getting around all those "I can't do 'x' because we don't have a 'y'" problems is finding the ideas that work.  What I want to see/hear about is effective ways to work the program.

Thanks!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

ZigZag911

And those of us on group, wing & region staffs need to do several things:

1) live the core values
2) lead by personal example
3) remember that we're here for the good of the organization and its members, not for personal advancement

Major Carrales

The only guaranteed improvements we can make are those we make in ourselves as CAP Officers and Cadets.  That being said, the Core Values are a good place to start (psst...they're not just for Cadets) 

The next area, logically, is at the Squadron/Flight Level.  Our Units are ours to make what we wish them to be, within the Regs of course.

If you come here to this board and present an idea (and they are with in Regs) and are "hammered" by its denizens, run it in your unit.  Best Practices are forged in such ideas.  If it is good, it is likely to catch on.  Plus, it will give you "gravitas" on this and other forums.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NEBoom

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 06, 2007, 12:35:54 AM
I, for one, am quite impressed with the quality of product coming out of the Cadet Programs Shop at NHQ over the last few years. <snip>
I have to agree.  Looks like there are some good things coming on the horizon, too!

Quote from: jimmydeanno
Here are some ideas of what we can really do:

1) Give feedback on things provided by NHQ for review.  NHQ CP staff have been extremely receptive to feedback regarding their new publications.  For those of you who don't know, they post them on this page:

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/cadet_programs/index.cfm?nodeID=6900&audienceID=4

If you have input, you can e-mail them and give it to them.

This is something I think a lot of people overlook.  Plus it actually takes some effort and time, especially if your busy with other things.  You have to review proposed publications and respond on their timetable (with obvious good reason, NHQ can't sit around forever waiting for us to give input), and sometimes these things come out right at the busiest times.  Still, it's important, and we must make it a priority to have our voices heard.

2) Recruit better: Too often we get members to join under false pretenses.  We tell them tales of glory and granger, instead of telling them how things really are.  We tell them of the hundreds of lives saved every year as if they all happened in our squadrons.  We tell them of awards and flight training, and of banquets. We tell them our squadron is home to a 3 time national drill team, even though it was in 1976-79.  But we rarely tell them of paperwork, long hours, some inadequate training. We can fix this without any effort, and people won't feel disappointed when things are exactly as you told them.

Yeah, you see this happen all the time.  Just like any other task in CAP, we have to teach our people how to recruit.  Too often our members aren't prepared, and they say a lot of things "off the cuff" that are either very dated, or just plain incorrect.  You have to be prepared to be effective at recruiting.  Better prepared than most people think.

3) Thank people more: We have numerous organizations, business and individuals that donate money, time, services and equipment to our organization.  We also have people who donate their time and effort to the organization and get no thanks in return.  We can go out of our way to give more Certificates of Appreciation, or just plain say "thank you."  As I say goodbye to our members each night, I thank them for coming, and tell them I appreciate their help.  It may seem overboard that I thank them all individually as they trickle out, but I mean it, and I think they know I mean it.

The formal Awards and Decorations program can be slow and cumbersome, but it's still very important.  I've heard it said (and I agree) that we have very few ways to pay our people for their time in CAP.  Since we don't pay a wage, we pay instead with things like promotions, awards, and some other intangibles like that great "mission accomplished" feeling you get after a great CAP activity that you've spent months preparing for.

Beyond the formal Awards, I make a conscious effort to say "thank you" to everyone frequently.  I don't want anyone around me thinking I'm taking them for granted!

Just some things I can think of now, but I think they are worthwhile investments of time.

Good stuff.  Thanks for the post!!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

NEBoom

Quote from: timmed1577 on June 06, 2007, 02:58:55 AM
Quote from: NEBoom on June 05, 2007, 07:24:59 PM
We're also trying to implement a wing CP training program akin to Texas' CTEP or California's ILP, but on a smaller scale to better reflect our situation.

Florida Wing did something like this for a few years a while back.  It started with one activity and a very creative and new DCP.  It was known as the Florida Leadership Academy.  In the beginning it was a single course which quickly evolved into a total of 4 (Airman Leadership School taught at group level, NCO Academy, Cadet Officer Basic Course and Cadet Officer Advanced Course all taught at wing level, the COAC was considered an RCLS), though it wasn't completely finished (as far as I could tell) before the DCP that started this was whisked away to region and the incoming DCP wasn't too keen on keeping the program.

If you have any specific questions, I will actually be in Nebraska helping staff AFWAFC starting next weekend, I will see what information I can get at my wing conference this weekend.  Being a cadet back then hindered me a little from getting detailed information, all I have right know are observations from the student side.

I will also see what info I can dig up and post here.

Great!  I don't know if I'll run in to you while you're here, but will keep a lookout.  Anything you can share will be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Nick Critelli

Col

After four years of working this issue on an almost full time basis I can sum it up in one phrase:  KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER.  For ES/DR the customer may be state and local government; for CP it is  all of those children who could be in CAP if they had the opportunity; for AE it is your local community especially that segment that is concerned with education.  As they teach  us in marketing 101:  know your customer, determine their needs and develop a product that meets the needs. 

Other than that there is no magic bullet.

NC

sardak

Good point about knowing your customers.  Remember to keep in mind that everyone has external customers and internal customers.  Both kinds require equal attention.

Mike