Main Menu

Missions for America

Started by CAP428, November 19, 2006, 04:09:24 AM

Major_Chuck

How about...

"Have multiple uniforms, will travel with AF Mission Number".

Seriously though. I think "Eyes of the Home skies" may be copyrighted and I thought that CAP was using it for a short while.

I don't Care for the whole "Missions for America" slogan.   Do I have a suggestion to replace it? No don't.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

SIDEWINDER

flyguy06

How about the Coast Guard's slogan "Jobs that matter" I always had an issue wih that slogan. It suggests that the rest of us have jobs that dont matter ;D

JohnKachenmeister

"When you care enough to send the very best?"

Oh, wait... That's been taken.

"America's New Minutemen?"

Or, we could steal the words from the Air Force song...

"We'll be there... Followed by more!"  That would emphasize our current ES missions (We'll be there) and the Cadet program (Followed by more.)
Another former CAP officer

DNall

Eyes of the home skies I think scares the ACLU crowd, which is always fun, but problematic.

SarDragon

Quote from: CAP Sergeant on November 20, 2006, 01:55:45 AM
How about...

Seriously though. I think "Eyes of the Home skies" may be copyrighted and I thought that CAP was using it for a short while.

I don't Care for the whole "Missions for America" slogan.   Do I have a suggestion to replace it? No don't.

Not a copyright issue. It would fall under the trademark or service mark rules.

From the best I can tell, that phrase is not registered with the USPTO.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on November 20, 2006, 05:31:14 AM
How about...

Not a copyright issue. It would fall under the trademark or service mark rules.

From the best I can tell, that phrase is not registered with the USPTO.

But Congress has this strange wording in the CAP stuff in the USC - "Exclusive right to name, insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, marks, and words"

The corporation has the exclusive right to use the name "Civil Air Patrol" and all insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, words, and phrases the corporation adopts. This section does not affect any vested rights.

TITLE 36 > Subtitle II > Part B > CHAPTER 403 > ยง 40306

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode36/usc_sec_36_00040306----000-.html

Odd blanket protection that seems to go around the need to claim or register a service mark.

RiverAux

I suspect that the "adopts" requirement would actually require some official action by one of our various governing bodies for this protection to apply.  If there is a protection, that is.  Notice that this section protects our copyrights as well.  If this law protected all such words and phrases then a copyright wouldn't be needed would it?  Lawyers?

Psicorp

The "Eyes of the Home Skies" was used by CAP, I have a bumper sticker and hat with that slogan.  It does fit in well with our potential DHS missions, doesn't it?
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Major Carrales

Quote from: Psicorp on November 20, 2006, 04:27:21 PM

The "Eyes of the Home Skies" was used by CAP, I have a bumper sticker and hat with that slogan.  It does fit in well with our potential DHS missions, doesn't it?

I had one of those toy cars and it said "Eyes of the Homeland Skies"
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CAP428

Well, I'm not making the video for money, its just CAP recruiting and stuff.  So, seeing how so many people help themselves to the slogan "missions for America" and other similar stuff in such videos/promo items, I'm going to go ahead and use it and hope for the best.  If problems arise, I will deal with them as they come.

After all, I really can't see NHQ getting mad about a member making a CAP recruiting video that happened to contain a CAP slogan.  After all, thats what we should do: recruit.

JohnKachenmeister

428:

Remember the Basic Law of the Civil Air Patrol:

"It is easier to apologize afterward than to ask permission before."
Another former CAP officer

DNall

That ain't just a law in CAP.

CAP428

Very true ^^.  I work as a photojournalist and if I went around asking every person if they wanted their picture taken....jeesh, I would be out of a job.  I just snap away and say sorry if they don't like it!  ;D

pixelwonk

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 20, 2006, 04:41:52 PM

I had one of those toy cars and it said "Eyes of the Homeland Skies"

Does it crash into walls repeatedly when you put it on the floor?  :)