Main Menu

Some points on Training...

Started by Major Carrales, November 09, 2006, 02:47:25 AM

Major Carrales

I was laying on my bed after a meeting and, due to what has to be mental illness and an over active imagination, I came up with some ideas on "inter squadron training."   I looked and possible problems...based true and imagined scenarios...and came up with this. 

Please comment... I am a relatively new squadron commander and hope we can "write a new book" on mitigation of TRAINING issues.  Much of it is common sense and procedure PIRATED from elsewhere, but please add to it.  Refine it...  and, most of all DISCUSS it!

When organizing training with "Sister Squadrons..."

1)      Clean Slate:  Our unit is not yoked to the mess-ups of the past.  We begin anew from this point on.  Let us work to build a solid reputation from that foundation.

2)      Resolved Organization:  We are a very motivated unit with defined goals.  However, we are sometimes disorganized in our implementation of those goals.  From now one we must be united in our objectives with other units.  This means we need to know what we need to do and who is going early enough.  Thus, we will plan.  We need to be sure that we plan to attend them and have a personal organized resolve. 

3)      Communication:  Once our plans are solidified, it will be relayed to the TRAINING UNIT in a clear understandable form.  Assume nothing...confirm it all!

4)      Unity of Command: There will be but one point of contact, that will be either The Squadron Commander or an appointed Officer (likely Ops)  From there issues will be resolved/organized and intentions/attendance will be communicated through this person.

5)      COMMITMENT : It is of magnum importance that once we commit to an action, that we follow through.  Failure to follow through marks negatively on our reputation.   There will be unforeseen things that happen but it is the RESPONSIBILITY of the CAP Officer to call in advance if there is to be a cancellation.

Have at it...
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

Well...what exactly are your "training issues"?

What are your goals for your squadron?

What area do you want to specialize in (if any)?

What are your priorities?

What are your resources?

And what are your sister squadron's answers to the questions above.

Joint training is almost always a good thing.  It brings in other ideas.  Allows you to train in the other guys back yard.  It allows you access to more or different equipment.  It helps eliminate duplication of effort and reduces the work load (I host a session then you host a session).

It also has it's draw backs...it is harder to coordinate to different schedules. It increases the logistics chain.  So member just cannot or will not travel for training.

Go for it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: lordmonar on November 09, 2006, 05:22:00 AM
Well...what exactly are your "training issues"?

What are your goals for your squadron?

What area do you want to specialize in (if any)?

What are your priorities?

What are your resources?

And what are your sister squadron's answers to the questions above.

Joint training is almost always a good thing.  It brings in other ideas.  Allows you to train in the other guys back yard.  It allows you access to more or different equipment.  It helps eliminate duplication of effort and reduces the work load (I host a session then you host a session).

It also has it's draw backs...it is harder to coordinate to different schedules. It increases the logistics chain.  So member just cannot or will not travel for training.

Go for it.

Thanks...the questions you presented I will add to a template for goal setting.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

arajca

If you are going to do multi-unit training, find which ones will be active in the planning stages. Set up a team with one Officer (not the unit/cc) from each with the team selecting one team member to be the project officer. If the activity is primarily for cadets, have one of the highest ranking cadets (not the c/cc)  from each unit also on the team and select one as a cadet project officer to ensure the cadet perspective is taken into account.

The reason for not using the unit/cc or c/cc is they are busy enough and not using them provides opportunities for other members to develop their leadership and planning skills.

Also, keep in mind that the project officer does not necessarily have to be activity commander.

ELTHunter

Our Group does a couple of Group level training activities per year which are more like mini encampments/schools in addition to SAREX's that are hosted be a Squadron but open Group wide.

The most frustrating thing I have found it trying to get the other squadrons to provide feedback as to what areas they wish to focus on.  I like your idea of a planning committee!

Our squadron has also done some joint training with other squadrons a few times. Usually with a squadron that has former members of our squadron in it, or other CAP friends.

Both these opportunities are really beneficial, and I enjoy the fellowship as well as learning from the strengths of other units.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer