Main Menu

CAP NCO's

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, December 31, 2010, 04:16:03 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Historically and currently what does the CAP NCO wear?

Do they go through the PD programs and earn the level ribbons?

What hat device do they wear?

What positions are they able to hold? Can they become Squadron Commanders?

If they so choose at a later time can they transfer to being an officer?

Are CAP NCO's able to wear the Corporate Uniforms? If so, what rank do they wear on it if any?

Eclipse

Historically and currently what does the CAP NCO wear?
Standard USAF bright stripes on all uniform varients

Do they go through the PD programs and earn the level ribbons?
Yes.

What hat device do they wear?
Same device for all senior members, but they wear the enlisted flight cap (dark blue braid)

What positions are they able to hold? Can they become Squadron Commanders?
Any and all.  Yes.
(Note, there is an question as to what would happen in the event a CAP NCO was appointed a Wing CC)

If they so choose at a later time can they transfer to being an officer?
Yes, however the clock starts at zero regardless of time in, with them being eligible for any NCO-equivelent bumps.

Are CAP NCO's able to wear the Corporate Uniforms? If so, what rank do they wear on it if any?
Yes.  Standard USAF bright stripes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

You have/had to hold an NCO rank in the military.  You wear the AF equivelant service dress rank on the sleeves of your BDUs.  If you were an E5 in the Army, you would wear AF Staff Sergeant rank in CAP.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Clarification - you can  go through the senior member PD levels and get the awards, but your grade will never change unless you're still in the military and get promoted, at which time you can get a bump in your CAP NCO grade.

Ozzy

Wasn't there a thing where CAP NCO's can't get level 5 because you need to be a Major to go to NSC and that's a requirement for it? Or something like that?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

spacecommand

CAP NCO's also wear "CAP" cutouts.

Also the blank CAP gray epaulets were designed for senior member NCO's to have their grade embroidered on as an alternative, even though the USAF doesn't do this anymore for NCOs, CAP regulations to my knowledge still allow it as an option though many just go with the sleeve insignia.

(That's what those blank gray epaulets are for, NOT for SMWOG).

AdAstra

CAP NCOs can complete Level V. According to CAPR 50-17, Attch 2, any Armed Forces Senior NCO Academy can be used as equivalent for NSC.

In addition, Chiefs are eligible to attend NSC. Two Chiefs attended the 2009 college, with great success (one was a member of my seminar), and one returned on staff in 2010.
Charles Wiest

The CyBorg is destroyed

Also - I believe that regardless of your Armed Forces NCO grade, National still lists you as an SMWOG.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JohnKachenmeister

^  True.  The Great Confuser is not set up to show NCO grades.
Another former CAP officer

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 31, 2010, 10:12:38 PM

I don't understand this in the slightest. Same with FO grades. If it can track cadet grades (didn't used to, now it does), why can't it track the other SM grades?

RiverAux

I'm sure it could, but they have chosen not to do it.  No explanation has ever been provided that I'm aware of. 

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 31, 2010, 10:12:38 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 31, 2010, 10:14:35 PM
I don't understand this in the slightest. Same with FO grades. If it can track cadet grades (didn't used to, now it does), why can't it track the other SM grades?
Quote from: RiverAux on December 31, 2010, 10:17:28 PM
I'm sure it could, but they have chosen not to do it.  No explanation has ever been provided that I'm aware of.

eServices shows NCO grades for senior members.  It has for at least a year.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Well... it has been way more than a year since I had an NCO in a unit.  I didn't know about the change.
Another former CAP officer

MSgt Van

"you need to be a Major to go to NSC and that's a requirement for it? "

If an NCO's completed military leadership training (NCO Academy, etc) that counts.  In my squadron a SMSgt and myself are complete through NSC.

SarDragon

Regarding FO tracking - the promotion chain needs to be changed first, since the Form 2 currently never leaves the unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SarDragon on January 01, 2011, 02:00:49 AM
Regarding FO tracking - the promotion chain needs to be changed first, since the Form 2 currently never leaves the unit.

The Form 2 never leaves the unit for 2Lt and 1Lt either, but NHQ manages to track those.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 01, 2011, 02:10:19 AM

The Form 2 never leaves the unit for 2Lt and 1Lt either, but NHQ manages to track those.

If you sign the form 2 and put it in the folder without sending it to NHQ, the member will never get promoted.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on January 01, 2011, 02:13:28 AM

If you sign the form 2 and put it in the folder without sending it to NHQ, the member will never get promoted.

My understanding was that there was some button-clicking action by the CC in eServices that takes care of this.

manfredvonrichthofen

I am surprised that ma blue would allow us to wear USAF enlisted rank on corporate uniforms.
I would be interested to see how that looks.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 01, 2011, 02:13:28 AM

Quote from: CAPR 35-51-5. Promoting Authority (see figure 1):
h. Flight Officer and NCO Grades. The squadron commander is the promoting authority for members assigned to his or her unit for these grades. NOTE: Flight officer grades are not recorded at National Headquarters.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret