Main Menu

New CAP ID-Card policy

Started by Eclipse, October 26, 2010, 05:40:29 PM

DakRadz

Quote from: JArvey on December 15, 2010, 11:57:32 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on December 15, 2010, 07:40:44 AM
If properly conducted, you will have eServices long before that little plastic card.

Besides, Google provides a Wing website which generally contains the squadron numbers (and if you refer to GAWG, it does).

Also, the charter number of an encampment app (if paper form) is something you can leave blank until the next meeting.
If you have to mail it soon, call someone.

All reasons why charter number on the card isn't necessary.

Well my old commander dint tell me about eservices until I had been in a year, and GAWG does but not all the wings and it would make it easier if they just kept it on there.
There was a failure there. eServices is also described in the new member packet if I remember right.
Either way, that is not common at all. Most people have eServices fairly quick-like.

My CC even had me help one of our new cadets mother through the process- <15 min at the meeting.

davidsinn

Quote from: DakRadz on December 16, 2010, 12:19:54 AM
Quote from: JArvey on December 15, 2010, 11:57:32 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on December 15, 2010, 07:40:44 AM
If properly conducted, you will have eServices long before that little plastic card.

Besides, Google provides a Wing website which generally contains the squadron numbers (and if you refer to GAWG, it does).

Also, the charter number of an encampment app (if paper form) is something you can leave blank until the next meeting.
If you have to mail it soon, call someone.

All reasons why charter number on the card isn't necessary.

Well my old commander dint tell me about eservices until I had been in a year, and GAWG does but not all the wings and it would make it easier if they just kept it on there.
There was a failure there. eServices is also described in the new member packet if I remember right.
Either way, that is not common at all. Most people have eServices fairly quick-like.

My CC even had me help one of our new cadets mother through the process- <15 min at the meeting.

Encampment apps have to be signed by the CC before they can be mailed. Thus the charter number can be added at that time. However I would not send a cadet to encampment that could not remember their own unit number. That cadet would need a little more seasoning before I would feel comfortable sending them.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JArvey

Encampment apps have to be signed by the CC before they can be mailed. Thus the charter number can be added at that time. However I would not send a cadet to encampment that could not remember their own unit number. That cadet would need a little more seasoning before I would feel comfortable sending them.
[/quote]

I went to encampment when I was 12 (after being in CAP for about 2 weeks and being a airmen for 3 days) and it was more helpful than any other activity I have done in CAP and it would not have helped as much if I had not gone when I was new to the program. That is the difference between our leadership programs and others (Army Cadet Core, Young Marines, Sea Cadets, etc.) that CAP has them at all stages in the cadet program. In my personal opinion I think you should let any cadet wanting go to encampment go as soon as they can. And I am assuming that you have not let one go before, but I could be wrong.

EMT-83

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 15, 2010, 03:46:37 AM
Quote from: JArvey on December 15, 2010, 02:58:07 AM
Lets say a new cadet is applying for encampment or such and forgot the charter number his commander told him, the cadet will not have eservices up yet so he used to be stuck just looking at the ID card but not anymore.
Seems like a stretch. A cadet isn't going to apply to encampment or anything else without having established an eServices account.

Minor details like OPSEC and Introduction to CAP Safety...
We're back to this...

You can't go to encampment without your Curry. You can't get your Curry without eServices, because you can't promote without OPSEC and Introduction to CAP Safety (effective 31 Dec).

Horse is now officially dead.

SARDOC

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 16, 2010, 02:26:32 AM

Does this mean they can start breaking out the blunt instrument of their choice and start beating that dead horse.

HGjunkie

Quote from: SARDOC on December 16, 2010, 02:29:19 AM

Does this mean they can start breaking out the blunt instrument of their choice and start beating that dead horse.
I call the sledgehammer...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Lets say a new cadet is applying for encampment or such and forgot the charter number his commander told him, the cadet will not have eservices up yet so he used to be stuck just looking at the ID card but not anymore.
Seems like a stretch. A cadet isn’t going to apply to encampment or anything else without having established an eServices account.

Minor details like OPSEC and Introduction to CAP Safety…
We’re back to this…

You can’t go to encampment without your Curry. You can’t get your Curry without eServices, because you can’t promote without OPSEC and Introduction to CAP Safety (effective 31 Dec).

Thank you, sir! I knew there was something eServices was required for. I had to do all that online when I joined, but forgot. CRS at a young age is not a good sign... ;D

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on December 16, 2010, 02:54:52 AM
...but forgot. CRS at a young age is not a good sign... ;D

I've had that for a while now. Sucks man.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

Seems like a stretch. A cadet isn't going to apply to encampment or anything else without having established an eServices account.

We're back to this...

You can't go to encampment without your Curry. You can't get your Curry without eServices, because you can't promote without OPSEC and Introduction to CAP Safety (effective 31 Dec).

You can do OPSEC without eServices. https://tests.cap.af.mil/opsec/main.cfm Heck you don't even need to have a live internet connection to do it. As far as I can tell you can not take the safety quiz without eServices which could be a problem for some people.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

I forgot that link was available. But you still need to know your CAPID!

We set up a computer lab / testing area for those without easy access to a computer. Units without a permanent home or an Internet connection are going to have to get creative.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 16, 2010, 04:43:45 AM

We set up a computer lab / testing area for those without easy access to a computer. Units without a permanent home or an Internet connection are going to have to get creative.

http://reviews.sprint.com/5611v2/115/mifi-2200-by-novatel-wireless-reviews/reviews.htm

http://www.clear.com/devices/spot

and a bunch of smartphones can be hotspots or tethered.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on December 16, 2010, 05:01:20 AM

http://reviews.sprint.com/5611v2/115/mifi-2200-by-novatel-wireless-reviews/reviews.htm

Using a smartphone or mifi can get stupid expensive in a hurry since they have a 5gb/month cap. Clear only works in metro areas. When I checked a few months ago my area was not covered at all.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

arajca

Quote from: davidsinn on December 16, 2010, 05:10:39 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 16, 2010, 05:01:20 AM

Using a smartphone or mifi can get stupid expensive in a hurry since they have a 5gb/month cap. Clear only works in metro areas. When I checked a few months ago my area was not covered at all.
Not all. Unlimited data pack - $15/mo. Sprint. If I have a signal, I have data access.

Eclipse

Nobody but people serving torrents is clocking more than 5GB a month.

You're going to be hard-pressed to find someone on their phone more than me and I'm doing about 2.5.

Certainly cadet testing and other legit CAP use would never come close.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on December 16, 2010, 05:24:39 AM

You're going to be hard-pressed to find someone on their phone more than me and I'm doing about 2.5.

Certainly cadet testing and other legit CAP use would never come close.

I used 3gb in the first four days I had my phone. Granted that was my only internet for a week and I was playing with youtube a lot... ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Or you have a legacy account and Cradle Point device, instead. Then there's no 5GB cap.

But yeah, hence I my comment about the charter # not being on there, making it more portable. I just plug in the Cradle Point and there's internet in our building for those who don't have it, works quite well.

Otherwise the thing is vehicle mounted, so I'm a rolling hot spot anyway. I typically hit 8-10GB in the Summer months, because I'll use the thing more and have the computer on the mount in the car, too.

BillB

More and more parents are buying their kids "pre-paid" phone service. This to keep from getting those several hundred dollar cell phone bills. While pre-paid allows a smartphone, the charge for data access or even texting kills the pre-paid amount pretty quickly.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JArvey

We're back to this...

I did OPSEC through a link from a yahoo search, and I did not have to do CAP Safety for some reason.

peter rabbit

QuoteI did OPSEC through a link from a yahoo search, and I did not have to do CAP Safety for some reason.

Intro to CAP Safety was not required for Level One and the Curry until recently. Interim change letter says: All current members must complete the current introductory safety education module,
Introduction to CAP Safety for New Members, by 31 March 2011. This includes all members
that have previously completed the Basic Safety course or have earned a specialty track rating in
safety.

JArvey

Quote from: Eclipse on December 16, 2010, 05:24:39 AM

First of all my house has more than that, and my squadron has way more than that because we do cyberpatriot and we have somtimes 5 computers running at once.