Main Menu

New CAP ID-Card policy

Started by Eclipse, October 26, 2010, 05:40:29 PM

DakRadz

Quote from: jeders on November 04, 2010, 06:50:20 PM
Quote from: Gung Ho on November 04, 2010, 06:02:12 PM
So once you have the card without the photo and you get your picture online will they send you a new card? Or will you have to buy one at that time? Or maybe a good question is can you buy these cards?

I believe you'll have to request a replacement card, which will cost you $4. Or you can wait until you renew again.

Just something I keep seeing- the cards no longer cost $4.
"Also starting on 1 Oct 2010, members will be charged $3 each for a duplicate or replacement card.......
.....The new gray CAP membership cards replace both the old “blue” CAP ID card and the optional $4 photo ID card, which are no longer available."

Emphasis mine. Hey, that's a dollar cheaper.

SarDragon

Quote from: DakRadz on November 05, 2010, 12:14:04 AM
Quote from: a2capt on November 05, 2010, 12:07:37 AM
Well, thats why they're announcing it now and then the compliance date is over a year away. That will cover most of the membership automatically. Those others like myself who renew for longer periods will have to cough up for it.

Well that's the last time you'll have to worry about- they did away with the multi-year renewal, right?

Where did you see that? I haven't seen or heard any news on that, and I renewed for 2 yrs in March.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Quote from: SarDragon on November 05, 2010, 01:42:52 AM
Well, thats why they're announcing it now and then the compliance date is over a year away. That will cover most of the membership automatically. Those others like myself who renew for longer periods will have to cough up for it.

Well that's the last time you'll have to worry about- they did away with the multi-year renewal, right?

Where did you see that? I haven't seen or heard any news on that, and I renewed for 2 yrs in March.

Sonuva...

I deleted the email, but that was from GAWG/CC. She said that the renewals were to be limited to one year, despite the members (including herself) who made use of that option.

Happened in your backyard, sir- NB. It was even a big CT debate, and they did end up voting multi-years out.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: SarDragon on November 05, 2010, 01:42:52 AM
Well, that's why they're announcing it now and then the compliance date is over a year away. That will cover most of the membership automatically. Those others like myself who renew for longer periods will have to cough up for it.

The new commercial-off-the-shelf membership software NHQ is transitioning to does not support multi-year renewals. After 1 Jan 11, every member will be a year-to-year renewal. I read it a month or so ago, but don't have the reference at hand.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 29, 2010, 05:47:10 AM
Yeah, the cards use needs to be restricted. Only State issued Photo IDs can be used all of SarDragon's issues. The card should make it clear that it is NOT a state (or Federal) issued photo ID.

That's really not true though...You can show ID issued by most government organizations for some if those...Like a Green Card or DoD ID, Passport.   Really it's up to the bank, pharmacy, guy checking age restrictions at the movies theater  or whoever and their company policy to what they will or will not accept as valid identification. Some places will accept employer ID but you will not allowed to check in through TSA at the airport with that.

a2capt

Make sure to renew before 1-January again, then .. just to be a thorn in their G/L for another three years, 'cause mines' up next by 28-Feb, 2012. It's usually about 60 days out they send the renewals.

SarDragon

My membership expires 30 Apr 12. The 90 day window falls back to 1 Feb. We'll see what happens.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 05, 2010, 02:27:54 AM
The new commercial-off-the-shelf membership software NHQ is transitioning to does not support multi-year renewals. After 1 Jan 11, every member will be a year-to-year renewal. I read it a month or so ago, but don't have the reference at hand.

It was brought up and passed by the National Board in San Diego.  However, the new software is supposed to enable us to have our memberships automatically renewed every year if they have an authorized credit card on file.

jeders

Quote from: DakRadz on November 05, 2010, 12:18:09 AM
Quote from: jeders on November 04, 2010, 06:50:20 PM
Quote from: Gung Ho on November 04, 2010, 06:02:12 PM
So once you have the card without the photo and you get your picture online will they send you a new card? Or will you have to buy one at that time? Or maybe a good question is can you buy these cards?

I believe you'll have to request a replacement card, which will cost you $4. Or you can wait until you renew again.

Just something I keep seeing- the cards no longer cost $4.
"Also starting on 1 Oct 2010, members will be charged $3 each for a duplicate or replacement card.......
.....The new gray CAP membership cards replace both the old "blue" CAP ID card and the optional $4 photo ID card, which are no longer available."

Emphasis mine. Hey, that's a dollar cheaper.

Sorry, $3 for a replacement, not $4.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

Got my new id card today and it looks perfectly fine to me.  If there are any graphic design problems they aren't terribly obvious. 

kmbarnes1

Does anyone have a link to a picture of this new card? Or would anyone be willing to take a picture of theirs (with any private data whited out)?
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

NIN

Traded my "CAP, Retired" ID for one of these.  Never did get one of them there newfangled library cards from NHQ, the only photo ID I ever had for CAP was the old wing-issued one.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Smokey

I finally got my new card(s) today....renewed a month ago.

I don't care for the new design....the picture is much smaller and instead of  "Active Member" under the shield it now sez   "Senior Member".   Does that qualify me for the senior menu at Denny's?   I am sick of the "Senior" label.  What was wrong with "Active Member" and maybe "Cadet Member" for the kadinks?

Also the personal Characteristics are gone from the back.....hgt/wgt/eyes/hair.......that could be a problem as I know the gate guards at the AF base always flip the car over an look at the back.

Anyone know why the Visa hologram is now gone too??
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

jeders

Quote from: Smokey on November 09, 2010, 06:58:28 PM
I don't care for the new design....the picture is much smaller and instead of  "Active Member" under the shield it now sez   "Senior Member".   Does that qualify me for the senior menu at Denny's?   I am sick of the "Senior" label.  What was wrong with "Active Member" and maybe "Cadet Member" for the kadinks?
I'm 26 years old, I have absolutely no problem with Senior Member. Lets just get past this and do our job.

Anyone know why the Visa hologram is now gone too??
Cost. In order to keep the cost down, they chose to dump the hologram.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

The Hologram looked like crud after several months. Besides, who's going to want to clone CAP IDs? You can't do anything with them that someone who's otherwise stupid wouldn't let happen with a faked driver license or such anyway.
As for "Senior Member" vs. "Active Member", they don't have a classification of "Active", just "Cadet", "Senior" "Patron", "Sponsor", etc ..
..and if that Senior gets you cheap coffee at McDonalds, well.. then.. :)

tmurphy

Someone had requested a picture, so here it is:

Shame that I had -just- missed getting my picture uploaded before they issued these.

Edit: Removed my barcode as well as my CAPID
TIFFANY J. MURPHY, 2d Lt, CAP
Health Services Officer
Livonia Thunderbolt Composite Squadron
GLR-MI-183

Spaceman3750

Hmm... Those don't look too bad. I'll know more when I get mine in person. The picture I've got on eServices right now is awful though, might take a new one and order a new card someday...

jimmydeanno

I guess I'm still not clear on the "why" we need photo membership cards.  What is wrong with the IDs we have today?  Now that  I think about it, I can't say that I've had to present my CAP ID Card anywhere in the last 5 years or so.  So, what's the point?  Why can't they be something like the AAA cards?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

We have membership cards, and we have ID cards.

The former is what many folks refer to as the "library card." It is not, by itself, an adequate form of identification because it doesn't have a picture. The latter has a picture, and proves that you are you.

I have had to present identification every time I've entered a military base prosecuting an ELT search, and I use my membership card, and a picture ID to get through the gate.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Quote from: SarDragon on November 13, 2010, 07:52:05 AM
I have had to present identification every time I've entered a military base prosecuting an ELT search, and I use my membership card, and a picture ID to get through the gate.
Sort of proving  that a CAP-specific photo ID isn't really necessary. 

But, as long as the cost to CAP of issuing these photo IDs isn't way out of whack with the old library cards, I'm fine with them even if they aren't really needed.