Rediscovering Maj. Gen. John F. Curry

Started by Smithsonia, July 21, 2008, 02:19:20 PM

Smithsonia

alamrcn;
Cap News Now had a piece in Dec. Click here: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays_features.cfm/colo_wing_salutes_curry_1st_cap_national_commander?show=news&newsID=6541

My plans for Curry pieces are pretty straight forward. I will continue this thread. I will post all my research material
both here and at the History Site described above. I will continue with the research. I will urge others to contribute to the research. At this point the research is so extensive that I think this site is the best place to publish that research. Here are 25,000 words on the Good General Jack. If a cadet cannot glean a story here there's nothing a Volunteer story will add. All of this material is for the benefit of our members and for the taking.

I am trying to move us away from our hoarding tendencies and more towards history as sleuthing, discovery, and revelation. Folks have asked me about a book. My answer is maybe when the research is done. They've asked me about a screenplay... only if Gary Sinese is available. I've been asked about mongraphes and articles too. My problem with all of those urges is that it cuts short the research. It ends the quest. I have more Jack to uncover and until I do and in this thread is the best there is...
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Gunner C

Always riveting, always a revelation.  Unfortunately, Gary has already volunteered to play me in "The Green Berets 2". . . (sorry, couldn't keep a straight face on that one)  ;D

tdepp

Quote from: Smithsonia on March 08, 2010, 06:47:10 PM
alamrcn;
Cap News Now had a piece in Dec. Click here: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays_features.cfm/colo_wing_salutes_curry_1st_cap_national_commander?show=news&newsID=6541

My plans for Curry pieces are pretty straight forward. I will continue this thread. I will post all my research material
both here and at the History Site described above. I will continue with the research. I will urge others to contribute to the research. At this point the research is so extensive that I think this site is the best place to publish that research. Here are 25,000 words on the Good General Jack. If a cadet cannot glean a story here there's nothing a Volunteer story will add. All of this material is for the benefit of our members and for the taking.

I am trying to move us away from our hoarding tendencies and more towards history as sleuthing, discovery, and revelation. Folks have asked me about a book. My answer is maybe when the research is done. They've asked me about a screenplay... only if Gary Sinese is available. I've been asked about mongraphes and articles too. My problem with all of those urges is that it cuts short the research. It ends the quest. I have more Jack to uncover and until I do and in this thread is the best there is...
As someone who has produced several documentaries for local public tv stations back in my TV days, I can attest that the sleuthing for historical information is the most enjoyable part of the process.  The next interview, the next dusty box, the next forgotten film canister could be the "mother load" on your subject.

Thanks again for all the digging and making it so freely available on one of our most important figures.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Smithsonia

Linear historical recollections are fine. At a certain point one must account for a couple of things
to work deeply on a biography:
1. Modern Sensibility - Does the character have a modern message for a contemporary audience?
2. The historical figure - Must be historically significant.
3. The historical significance must have a long time horizon and over time the biography codifies then builds this significance.

Jack Curry has fulfilled all of these premises at least for me and hopefully for you too. The trick now comes down to the research. A biographer has a different job than a journalist. The journalist is on a deadline. The journalist must tell the best story available within the deadline requirement. That is the reason that so much correction of initial reports falls to the follow-on reporters. In the case of Jack Curry... I am taking my time so that I get it all in front of me, I know all of the information before I attempt to summarize this life.

I've spent my career in the hot and smoking pursuit of quick deadline driven stories. For my own intellectual satisfaction, I'll take my time getting all the Jack Curry information there is left in this world before I do his monograph, biography, movie, stage play, or tell his story. He was a man in full. Wait until you see it all. But then, I can't wait either... although to be true to this intellectual exercise we simply must. 

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

tdepp

Quote from: Smithsonia on March 09, 2010, 04:05:12 PM
Linear historical recollections are fine. At a certain point one must account for a couple of things
to work deeply on a biography:
1. Modern Sensibility - Does the character have a modern message for a contemporary audience?
2. The historical figure - Must be historically significant.
3. The historical significance must have a long time horizon and over time the biography codifies then builds this significance.

Jack Curry has fulfilled all of these premises at least for me and hopefully for you too. The trick now comes down to the research. A biographer has a different job than a journalist. The journalist is on a deadline. The journalist must tell the best story available within the deadline requirement. That is the reason that so much correction of initial reports falls to the follow-on reporters. In the case of Jack Curry... I am taking my time so that I get it all in front of me, I know all of the information before I attempt to summarize this life.

Smithsonia:

Well said.  One of the reasons I joined CAP was the organization spoke to me in a similar fashion as you note about Gen. Curry.  Missions and uniforms may change but hopefully the underlying ethics of service, country, integrity, and when called upon, bravery, still power CAP, just as it did when pilots flew their single engine planes far out into the ocean looking for U-boats.
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Smithsonia

I have a copy of a Curry Document that was posted on an earlier CAPTALK thread regarding history. I am sorry to say that I have lost that members who previously posted this Curry Memo. I thank them for doing so and regret the lack of credit to them in this posting.

OFFICE OF CIVILIAN DEFENSE
CIVIL AIR PATROL

OPERATIONS DIRECTIVE)                                                                                   NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
                  NO. 4       )                                                                                   WASHINGTON, MARCH 4, 1942
AIR DISCIPLINE

1. We are at war.  The Civil Air Regulations have been modified to meet the requirements of the Army and Navy in providing for the National Defense.  It is imperative that all pilots observe these regulations to the letter.

2. There are certain areas over which no flying is permitted.  These areas have anti-aircraft defenses which are under orders to shoot down any aircraft passing over them.  Civil Air Patrol pilots are hereby directed to familiarize themselves with areas and routes over which their particular flights are to be made and conduct their flying accordingly.  It is important that all pilots navigate accurately and adhere rigidly to their flight plans.

3.  This is no time for foolish flying.  The fact that the Civil Air Patrol insignia is displayed on a plane or that the plane is engaged in an official mission does not give the pilot permission to break the Civil Air Regulations or do unnecessary aerobatics.  On surveillance and search missions, for example, the operations orders governing the missions are not a permit for hedge-hopping.

4. Certain missions, including pick-up message training, will require low flying.  Such flying should be cleared with Civil Aeronautics Administration inspectors and airport managers.

5. Failure of Civil Air Patrol flight personnel to comply with regulations will not be tolerated.  Unit Commanders are hereby directed to take prompt disciplinary action against such personnel under their command who break regulations or engage in careless flying.

6. Without thorough air discipline, the Civil Air Patrol is of no value as a flying auxiliary to the armed forces.  Develop air discipline.

By Command of Major General CURRY:

HARRY H. BLEE
Colonel, Air Corps
Training & Operations Officer

-----------------
Edit:  Document is not on pre-printed letterhead, heading is manuall typed.  In the upper right hand corner, written in pencil are the numbers "25.302".  In the lower right hand corner are the numbers "26022".
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Regarding my earlier post on the new CAP History website... we are awaiting final approval. Maj. Jim Shaw. Col. Leonard Blasovich and higher command are in charge of that matter. As such it appears that a few more weeks of review are in order.

Right now there are several thousand historical items, pictures, articles, uniforms, patches, militaria, ephemera, reviews, timelines, achievements, and stories ready to go. As you might imagine this higher command review will take some time.

Additionally we have several thousand more items to add to this website which should be ready shortly after the site is approved. I understand that there has been a recent issue with CAP material being ripped off by disreputable commercial manufacturers who produce fakes for sale on EBAY. We have an intellectual property problem that had not been accounted for previously on the site. So it will take us some time to sort this out. We need a watermark, download protocol,
or containment protocol... and this is new, but completely understandable to address this intellectual property protection issue.

Lt. Col. Mark Hess of the Georgia Wing has been lashed to his computer - spent 8 or 9 months without sunshine and gone through more history research than any one person in CAP history to make this collection available to all members.

Hopefully, we are on the last leg. To all those that have work so diligently on this project - may I say that it is and has been a great privilege to serve with you on this project. I am gratified as a historian. I am amazed as a member. I am overwhelmed as a viewer. I am tired as a contributor. I am proud, no... I am very proud as a volunteer. This will be one of the finest websites dedicated to military and volunteer history on the World Wide Web.

Announcement of its opening some time in April... is our hope.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

alamrcn

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Smithsonia

Picking up the theme of the egalitarian-side of Gen. Jack Curry, I found this quote:
"There must be no doubt in the minds of our gallant women fliers that they are needed and, in my opinion, indispensable to the full success of the Civil Air Patrol organization. A great part of the progress made in organizing civilian aviation under Civil Air Patrol has been due to the volunteer help given by women flyers."

Remember that Jackie Cochran was a big part of CAP from the beginning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Cochran

Remember that the WASPs and Wacs were given special status towards the end of the war (continuation of service credits for education) if they became CAP members, so that tens of thousands of them joined CAP, AND that cadets were welcomed after the first year and minorities from the beginning... Jack Curry was as egalitarian officer as his generation produced.

At a time in which High Schools and Colleges were segregated by race and other schools by gender. At a time of rampant racism and belligerent bigotry... The Civil Air Patrol from the moment of its inception was among the broadest minded organization, one of the most enlightened in the volunteer or military services in America, and this is a thing to emulate and be proud of today.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

tdepp

^Ed:
Thanks for the continuing insights into Gen. Curry.  He was a remarkable man for his time, and your posting is just more proof of not just his leadership skills but his humanity as well.  It gave me chills (good ones, not bad ones) reading it!

Smithsonia

Todd;
I think Jack Curry was fully human and not divine. In this I mean his imperfections were self made and not a matter of nurture or nature. He seems to have thought through matters and worked out his own way, while doing his duty and remaining rather unscathed. I submit the following synopsis:

1. Jack Curry didn't like Billy Mitchell (too loud and abrasive for Jack) Yet Jack Curry appreciated the contributions of the man and is one of only 4 officers to speak on Mitchell's behalf at the Courts Martial. After Mitchell was sacked Jack worked to implement the vision of Mitchell through service and not confrontation.

2. Jack Curry - Obviously saw Orville Wright's loss of vigor and vision and prompted the Air Corps to promote Charles Lindbergh as the icon of American Airmanship. (circa 1927)

3. (circa 1938) Jack recognized the self destructive hole inside the 3rd Reich - That the real strength of America was promotion of it's egalitarianism and that the racial divisions inside Germany and Axis Allies would eventually cause their defeat in battle. For his part Jack Curry started the upgrade of Moton Field and built the first pilot program at Tuskegee Institute.

4. Circa 1934 - Jack believed that war was coming. (The Japanese had invaded China at this point) Jack believed America wasn't ready for this war. That the Air Corps needed visionaries to prepare for war. Assembled those men at Maxwell: Olds, Chennault, Eakers, Hansell, Ent, Eglin, Kenney, Vandenberg, Wilson, MacDonald, etc, all did 2 or more tours at Maxwell under Curry. The assembling of this brain trust was a key to America's eventual success in WW2. This brain trust designed the performance components of aircraft required for war. Among these requirements came the B-24, B-17, P-38, P-40, B-25, B-26, C-17, P-47, and Curtis Commando (This time was also used to construct the building that is now CAPs headquarters.)

If Jack Curry never did a thing about Civil Air Patrol... he'd still have been worth noting. If Jack Curry had done but one of those items listed above - he'd be worth remembering. Jack Curry was a servant to the Air Corps and Air Force but he was also the father of CAP and possessor
of a great intellect. However the attributes that keep attracting me to this noble man is his character. Bright, enthusiastic, self effacing, never boastful, firm but never mean, straight arrow but never a martinet, graceful but not showy, giver and receiver of great respect, a loving father and great husband... Jack Curry was a Helluva Guy.

Perhaps my favorite Jack Curry Story has been told to me by Colorado Wing members who were cadets when the retired General was still around. Jack would come up to them after parade or memorial, he'd introduce himself as simply Jack Curry (without ever revealing he was Maj. Gen. John F. Curry), he'd ask the cadet about themselves, he'd never talk about himself or his career, then he'd say "keep up the good work." Jack would do this without a correction, offering sage advice, or giving fatherly supervision to the cadet. AND most interesting to me, without ever further identifying himself. Afterwards, Jack would shake the cadets hand and say with a grateful and appreciative smile; "Thanks for your service" and then Jack would simply walk away. Jack Curry was a real man. Jack Curry is as fine of an example of a man as I have ever found. 

If I can sum up Jack in one word... the closest word is "TRUSTWORTHY." (In all matters, at all times, to everyone) I try to live up to the example of Jack Curry. I think we can all learn his lessons. I offer his biography not just as history in review but instruction today.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

BillB

ED
Not to belittle Jack Curry, but how come he never got his third star when his students got three or four stars by the end of the war?  Just curious.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Smithsonia

BillB;
You asked about Jack having 2 stars instead of three, four, or even Five. Jack wasn't a WW2 Combat Commander. The reasons are multiple and varied.
1. He had his combat in WW1.
2. He knew how to build airbases and train people.
3. He was a little older than Eakers, Doolittle, Kenney, Hansel, Patton, Eisenhower, or Bradley - and younger than Spaatz, MacArthur, and Arnold - but old enough to see the advantage of younger men commited to field command... and finally -
4. Jack was gassed in WW1. While it didn't effect him until he was older, it must have weighed on him and been of some concern. When he retired he declared a disability. So he must have made the argument to the retirement board on some basis.
5. Finally, long before the war Jack had promised his wife and daughters that once the girls were in high school he'd retire. Instead WW2 blew up and he compromised this promise to serve 42 years in the military, remain true to his family commitment, and do his duty to his country. His daughters certainly understood but appreciated that they weren't uprooted during the war.

As such, Jack Curry went from Colonel to Major General in 14 months and didn't move again until retirement in '46. As his command grew in the number of men being trained, his command was divided once and then once again as span of control. that said, he built 25 major air bases, 135 AC and Aux fields, 5 WW2 major commands, oversaw the CAP, and 1.2 million airmen through training. I think Jack got his way in this matter. He was also offered Gen. Arnold's Chief of Staff job in '43 (Jack would've made his 4th star in that job)... but Jack turned Hap down. I think that the war had taken Arnold's vigor and Jack wanted a younger man in the COS duty too. Spaatz was committed to Europe. So one of Jack protege's wound up with the Air Corps COS job under Arnold. Besides Jack's family didn't like Washington but thoroughly enjoyed Denver.

Was Jack Curry smart about his health? Well, both men who succeeded him as 2nd Air Force Commander in WW2 (Olds and Ent) had major heart attacks while in the 2nd Air Force job and died shortly later. Jack loved and trained both of these men... I'll bet you that their deaths were a thing of concern if not guilt. Generals Ent and Olds were younger than Jack and both had WW2 combat experience. (so they were at least 3 stars when they died)
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Cecil DP

Quote from: BillB on April 27, 2010, 07:43:26 PM
ED
Not to belittle Jack Curry, but how come he never got his third star when his students got three or four stars by the end of the war?  Just curious.

It was well known policy of GA Marshall's that with very few exceptions (Patton, Ike), he wasn't appointing anyone over 50 years old to combat commands.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Smithsonia

CecilDP;
Spaatz, MacArthur and a couple more were over 50 too. Jack would've have been about 54 or 55 at the start of the war. If Jack had been 5 years younger I still think he'd have stayed in the states for the reasons listed above. But that's just conjecture on my part and nothing more.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

If you are coming to the Colorado Wing Conference in May - I'll be doing the Curry Lecture with lots of his gear on hand, including:
Stars and Wings, Flight Cap, Belt, WW1 Footlocker, pictures and stories. Most of this material has been donated to the National Archives and
won't be around long -- so come join me in Colorado Springs on Saturday May 22nd at the Embassy Suites 7290 COMMERCE CENTER DR.(09:30) for "You Don't Know Jack." Maj. Gen. John F. Curry.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

BillB

As I said I was curious.  I was wondering if General Curry's support of Billy Mitchell might have been a factor of not getting LtGen. Not being in a combat command in WW II was not a factor in general grade promotions. Material Command line was a four star position by the end of the war.
I hate the building that is now the CAP National Headquarters. When I was stationed at Maxwell, I had four wisdom teeth pulled in that building,. The Dental wing of the building is not the office of the Commander CAP-USAF.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Smithsonia

BillB;
Did being a Billy Mitchell supporter hold back Curry's advancement? No. Robert Olds, Carl Spaatz, Hap Arnold, Delos Emmons, Ira Eakers, George Kenney, and a couple more were all Mitchell devotees (professionally if not personally) All these men eventually made General. All of these men advanced more or less with their class. However, all the men who sacked Mitchell were gone by '32. Arnold, Eakers, Spaatz, Curry, Emmons, Olds, and a few more - formed a self-protecting corps that built the Air Corps. Billy Mitchell wasn't their God... however, his vision was their Bible. We can argue the personal virtues of Gen. Mitchell all day. However, Billy wasn't the character portrayed by Gary Cooper in the Movie. Mitchell was 10 times more complicated. So I think that not only was Jack not hurt but highly regarded for his measured support of Gen. Mitchell. The remaining visionaries took the Mitchell Bible through the depression into the next war. When Jack spoke up for Mitchell, he couldn't have known about the future. He couldn't have known that it would all work out. He wanted to save Arnold and Spaatz the need of falling on their swords... So, Curry's courage was not so much in defending Mitchell than in protecting Arnold, Eakers, Olds, and Spaatz... All of whom were on Mitchell's staff at the end.

Who was the Judge Pro Tem at the Courts Martial of Billy Mitchell?... Douglas MacArthur. So he apparently didn't get hurt much either.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

tdepp

Quote from: Smithsonia on April 28, 2010, 01:05:40 PM
BillB;
Did being a Billy Mitchell supporter hold back Curry's advancement? No. Robert Olds, Carl Spaatz, Hap Arnold, Delos Emmons, Ira Eakers, George Kenney, and a couple more were all Mitchell devotees (professionally if not personally) All these men eventually made General. All of these men advanced more or less with their class. However, all the men who sacked Mitchell were gone by '32. Arnold, Eakers, Spaatz, Curry, Emmons, Olds, and a few more - formed a self-protecting corps that built the Air Corps. Billy Mitchell wasn't their God... however, his vision was their Bible. We can argue the personal virtues of Gen. Mitchell all day. However, Billy wasn't the character portrayed by Gary Cooper in the Movie. Mitchell was 10 times more complicated. So I think that not only was Jack not hurt but highly regarded for his measured support of Gen. Mitchell. The remaining visionaries took the Mitchell Bible through the depression into the next war. When Jack spoke up for Mitchell, he couldn't have known about the future. He couldn't have known that it would all work out. He wanted to save Arnold and Spaatz the need of falling on their swords... So, Curry's courage was not so much in defending Mitchell than in protecting Arnold, Eakers, Olds, and Spaatz... All of whom were on Mitchell's staff at the end.

Who was the Judge Pro Tem at the Courts Martial of Billy Mitchell?... Douglas MacArthur. So he apparently didn't get hurt much either.
I find a comparison between Curry and MacArthur interesting.  Seems that Curry was not the glory hound that MacArthur was. 

Smithsonia

^^^^
Todd;
The Bombastic and theatrical Commander is time honored from Alexander, Julius Caesar, Peter the Great, Napoleon, Custer, Patton, MacArthur, Hitler, Halsey, LeMay, to Stormin Norman. The confidence they exude can be infectious and make the glory of their troops seem a personal victory.

These roosters are often appealing, charismatic characters. I am not by nature attracted to this charade. I think Eisenhower, Curry, Bradley, Mitcher, Puller, Ridgeway, Powell etc... who lead with courage but less bravado are more interesting. There is an authenticity about these humbler men. There is an American citizen soldier raised to lead that makes them accessible to me.

I prefer some modesty and sharing of the glory in my historical characters. But that is just me. Both types have been effective. Both archetypes have made history. We tend to remember the Ivory Handled Pistols of Patton and corn cob pipe of MacArthur (both of which are affectations and publicity manifestations but have been doned for purpose.) So I think of these as phony as a reality TV show argument. It is visual drama by design. To me it is as shallow as most of our uniform arguments in this forum. In other words, the actual value of the visual hyperbole is an argument without end.

That said, these bombastic publicity hounds do serve a larger purpose: To be a symbol of command and a rally flag of persona. These men are narrative characters who explain the battle from the top down. Not the bottom up. So I favor reporters, like Ernie Pyle, who take this into account.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN