Blue Beret and Hawk Mountain Patches vs Reverse American Flag Patch

Started by 0, June 02, 2008, 02:44:29 PM

This is in response to that thread that got locked.  I agree that specialty activity patches like these as well as NESA and local ESA's should be returned to the right shoulder.  Now my reasoning is a little different.  Yes it shows you've been given an opportunity not everyone can get. Does that mean you're better than others not always. 

And why do I think that we should ditch the Reverse American Flag patch? As we've stated time and again in many, many Uniform Threads we are Air Force Auxillary.  The Air Force doesn't wear that patch on their uniform so why should we wear it? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

isuhawkeye

not to be a troll, but the air force doesn't wear anything on the right shoulder.  by your own argument nothing should be worn there.  not even special activities patches. 

Eclipse

Nearly every fire, police, and similar agency wears the US Flag, all the services wear it on one or another of their uniforms - we have always worn it on the flightsuit and jumpsuit.

I am proud to wear it and was happy when it was added...but...

If for some reason NHQ decided we shouldn't wear the flag there, then so be it, but then the shoulder should stay blank.

There is reasonable accommodation for special activities patches, participants always had to make a choice anyway, and very few members had anything to put on the left pocket anyway.

Wing patches - so few people participate outside their home unit, let alone their home state this is a non-issue.  In 99.999999% of the time the guy standing next to you is from the same state, and in 99.9999% of the situations where people are trying to figure out what state you are from, its because of something negative and they are trying to make a whole-state assumption.

FAIMO!

And here's a hint - those doing "real" ES work couldn't care less about whether you went to NESA, AFRCC, HMRS, or NBB. They care more about what is over the CAP nametape then on your shoulder, and even then only for about 10 seconds.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ok, I do see the flaw in my argument.  But this is something we always did.  As I recall the change to include the Reverse American Flag was as part of that entire "US Civil Air Patrol" fiasco that we've tried to put behind us.  So why not go the rest of the way and restore what was taken away?  

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

arajca

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 02, 2008, 03:05:15 PM
Ok, I do see the flaw in my argument.  But this is something we always did.  As I recall the change to include the Reverse American Flag was as part of that entire "US Civil Air Patrol" fiasco that we've tried to put behind us.  So why not go the rest of the way and restore what was taken away?  

Nothing was taken away with the flag - it was just moved. IMHO, we should leave the flag, at least for a while because of the number of chages and rechages and 'corrections' that have been made to the uniform. The current location is a much more visible spot than the shoulder was, so affords a greater opportunity to flaunt what NCSA's you've been to.

isuhawkeye

ok then put the cap tab back on the coller (army heraldry).  take away the grade from the cover.  take away the goretex.  how far back do you want to go?

red shoulder boards on the blues?

Eclipse

Army pinks!   I have members in my units who wore them, so to them "they always did it that way".   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Ya know... on some forums subverting a lock by posting a new topic is grounds for a lock.  :angel:

On topic:  The solution to this is simple.  Fix it with the ABU... no sense screwing with the BDU anymore... Obsolete it, and go to no patches, org ball caps or reversed flags per the USAF.  Fix the Field Uniform by attrition.  Change as the uniforms become unserviceable.
Mike Johnston

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2008, 03:31:57 PM
Ya know... on some forums subverting a lock by posting a new topic is grounds for a lock.  :angel:

On topic:  The solution to this is simple.  Fix it with the ABU... no sense screwing with the BDU anymore... Obsolete it, and go to no patches, org ball caps or reversed flags per the USAF.  Fix the Field Uniform by attrition.  Change as the uniforms become unserviceable.

Well I tried to side step it by bringing up a point that wasn't yet mentioned.  >:D

Back on topic:  That idea could work if we knew when we're getting the ABU. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

mikeylikey

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 02, 2008, 03:37:26 PM
Back on topic:  That idea could work if we knew when we're getting the ABU. 

2010.  Can you wait that long?  Bigger question......why have we not moved to diffrent boots yet?!?
What's up monkeys?

Mikey do you have it in writing that we can see that it's 2010?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

mikeylikey

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 02, 2008, 04:18:56 PM
Mikey do you have it in writing that we can see that it's 2010?

Verbal from the current CAP-USAF Commander.  On multiple occasions. 
What's up monkeys?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

notaNCO forever

They should change the boots now or atleast start to phase them in.

Quote from: NCO forever on June 02, 2008, 07:55:50 PM
They should change the boots now or atleast start to phase them in.

If that's the case what color?  Sage Green or the Grey?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

DC

Are the green boots in full production yet, or would a temporary switch to tan be necessary?

MIKE

Plenty of places have 'em, but they ain't cheap.

Edit: shouldn't this line of discussion be in the abus thread... Sorry for derailing the discussion, but at this point making changes to the BDU is stupid.
Mike Johnston

Eagle400

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2008, 03:31:57 PMOn topic:  The solution to this is simple.  Fix it with the ABU... no sense screwing with the BDU anymore... Obsolete it, and go to no patches, org ball caps or reversed flags per the USAF.  Fix the Field Uniform by attrition.  Change as the uniforms become unserviceable.

And that, my friends, is why I will refuse to wear anything other than the blue CAP field uniform ("Blue BDU") for field and other "BDU-specific" activities until the ABU becomes available.

As soon as the ABU becomes available to CAP, then I will switch from the Blue BDU to the ABU*

*and thank the dear Lord that I will be able to say I have never given anyone a legitimate reason to mistake me for a soldier!