Wing changing Training Standards

Started by ammotrucker, February 04, 2008, 11:53:55 AM

Short Field

Quote from: Dragoon on February 05, 2008, 10:32:01 PM
[On the other hand, the rampant "pencil whipping" I see from folks who truly don't understand evaluation are just as bad in a different way.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone give a lecture on a task and then sign off every participant without actually testing anyone in the room. 

I really feel I am losing the fight on that...   I see too many sign offs by people who were never tested/evaluated when they were signed off.  They think the "Task" is simply what is on the SQTR - because they have never read the Task Guide and don't even know that evaluations are required for each task.   :'(

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

floridacyclist

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: SStradley on February 05, 2008, 07:21:04 PM
I have had a member from another Group take GTL training from me.  I did not sign his SQTR or approve his training.  He was not a qualified GTL when he left the SAREX.  The next thing I know he has the rating.  There is nothing I could do about it.  I don't know if he took more training, or got another SET to sign him off, or he just used my CAPID on e-services.  And there is no way for me to tell because as I said he is from another group.

I think the idea of the SET having to approve the E-SQTR before it goes to the members chain of command is an excellent suggestion. 

If I may ask....are you not a SET? If you are, why would you NOT sign his SQTR?

floridacyclist

I think we're seeing the difference between training and evaluating.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Dragoon

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2008, 10:35:05 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on February 05, 2008, 10:32:01 PM
On the other hand, the rampant "pencil whipping" I see from folks who truly don't understand evaluation are just as bad in a different way.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone give a lecture on a task and then sign off every participant without actually testing anyone in the room. 

OMG YES! 

My first day as a GT trainee the SET, who was also a unit CC, dragged out all his stuff, showed us, and then signed off 20 people!   :o

Yup.  Even though the task specifically states the members had to own the gear himself to pass.

This a prime example of how somebody has got to ride herd over evaluators.

arajca

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on February 06, 2008, 02:23:48 PM
I have had a member from another Group take GTL training from me.  I did not sign his SQTR or approve his training.  He was not a qualified GTL when he left the SAREX.  The next thing I know he has the rating.  There is nothing I could do about it.  I don't know if he took more training, or got another SET to sign him off, or he just used my CAPID on e-services.  And there is no way for me to tell because as I said he is from another group.

I think the idea of the SET having to approve the E-SQTR before it goes to the members chain of command is an excellent suggestion. 

How about "Failed to pass evaluation"? or "Unsatisfactory Performance"?

floridacyclist

Or simply did not evaluate. He said he trained them, not evaluated. We had a weekend of training last weekend without a single task being signed off...and another one coming up. Evaluations aren't until Mar.

I actually prefer having different people train and evaluate..you're more likely to catch bad information or habits that way before it gets validated with a signoff.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

SStradley

Quote from: arajca on February 06, 2008, 07:31:35 PM
Quote from: LittleIronPilot on February 06, 2008, 02:23:48 PM

How about "Failed to pass evaluation"? or "Unsatisfactory Performance"?

Unastisfactory Performance is the reason.  Could not navigate his way out of a small room with one door.   Thought he knew everything, consitant interuptions of the training, and each time he opened his mouth he proved he knew nothing.  He is now a GBD - go figger!
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee