Got denied a call sign...

Started by Stonewall, August 24, 2007, 03:21:06 PM

PHall

Quote from: mynetdude on March 15, 2008, 04:11:22 AM

I don't know about my wing or yours or anyone elses... but I have heard that some wings will not issue comms plans and would want possession of your radio so THEY can program it FOR you.  I know that donated radios that are given to the squadron have to be sent up to WG (at least in ours) then sent back down... so I don't know if this applies to personally owned radios.

That's how they do it in CAWG. Considering that just about any radio that meets the narrow band and P25 requirements is programmed via a laptop it's not that bad of an idea. That software is not cheap!

floridacyclist

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 16, 2008, 02:21:26 AM
Incidentally, I managed to shoot another rumor dead today.   I was told by a cadet that she was told that cadets in FLWG would not be issued callsigns even if they had licensable equipment.   Our WG/DC stated that this was absolutely not true; and further, a cadet over 18 who is a GTL or UDFTL is even issued the full set of Comm gear that a Senior Member would receive.

Makes sense to me. I have 3 cadets in my household with callsigns.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

floridacyclist

Quote from: mynetdude on March 15, 2008, 04:11:22 AM
I don't know about my wing or yours or anyone elses... but I have heard that some wings will not issue comms plans and would want possession of your radio so THEY can program it FOR you.  I know that donated radios that are given to the squadron have to be sent up to WG (at least in ours) then sent back down... so I don't know if this applies to personally owned radios.

Of course, we have to close our eyes when we hooked it up to our computer to program our extra (ham) frequencies in.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

BigMojo

Incidentally, I managed to shoot another rumor dead today.   I was told by a cadet that she was told that cadets in FLWG would not be issued callsigns even if they had licensable equipment.   Our WG/DC stated that this was absolutely not true; and further, a cadet over 18 who is a GTL or UDFTL is even issued the full set of Comm gear that a Senior Member would receive.

Absolutely...I had a cadet receive his call sign a week ago. I'm not sure how they assign numbers though...for example this cadet is one digit lower than I am...  ???
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: BigMojo on April 11, 2008, 12:30:40 PM

Absolutely...I had a cadet receive his call sign a week ago. I'm not sure how they assign numbers though...for example this cadet is one digit lower than I am...  ???

What ever is available at the time. People leave the program, their call sign expires, or they are "relieved" of their call sign because they way FLWG assigns them if you don't "need" one it gets reassigned.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP