New Form 161, replaces Form 60

Started by Eclipse, June 13, 2013, 03:20:15 AM

Eclipse

Putting the health info stuff aside for a moment, I still don't understand the need for a 160 or a 60, what a waste of time.
Emergency contact info can be added to eServices and accessed if and when needed.

In a life-threatening emergency, you call 911, not mom.  In anything less, there's time to access eservices, either directly, or
via phone to a trusted party elsewhere. And since emergency contact info >isn't< a HIPPA issue, that info could be included
in CAPWatch downloads for things like SIMMS, the encampment system, etc.

In fact, just print it on the 101 card, and require >EVERYONE< to carry one, GES or no.  Stick in a quarterly, non-optional
review of the data, like safety is now, and everyone moves on.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on June 13, 2013, 04:58:33 PM
Putting the health info stuff aside for a moment, I still don't understand the need for a 160 or a 60, what a waste of time.
Emergency contact info can be added to eServices and accessed if and when needed.

In a life-threatening emergency, you call 911, not mom.  In anything less, there's time to access eservices, either directly, or
via phone to a trusted party elsewhere. And since emergency contact info >isn't< a HIPPA issue, that info could be included
in CAPWatch downloads for things like SIMMS, the encampment system, etc.

In fact, just print it on the 101 card, and require >EVERYONE< to carry one, GES or no.  Stick in a quarterly, non-optional
review of the data, like safety is now, and everyone moves on.
That makes WAY too much sense.

SJFedor

Quote from: NIN on June 13, 2013, 12:41:25 PM
Quote from: bflynn on June 13, 2013, 12:34:05 PM
Why?  is someone in CAP going to be doing a blood transfusion?  Any medical facility that does will have typing capabilities.

Agree. I'm not a medical professional, but I've been told "Don't worry about blood type on your dog tags or on the form, cuz they're always gonna type and match you before they give you any blood.."  I assume this to be true (and have repeated it to others over the years), but anybody who is in the profession want to chime in there?

Mostly true. In absolutely dire emergencies, where type and crossing isn't time feasable (such as massive trauma/exsanguination) they will administer uncrossmatched blood, typically ONeg, but Ive seen OPos used in certain situations depending on the facility and patient. Our air medical service around here carries 2 units of uncrossmatched "trauma blood" for just such occasions. (For those of you who watched "Inside Combat Rescue" on NatGeo, same deal. They were hanging uncrossmatched blood). Other than air medical, most EMS services won't carry it because it's 1) expensive and 2) not used enough to justify the cost and constantly having to throw it out.

But, uncrossmatched blood is just a stop-gap while they're typing and crossing you, and then they'll typically administer type-specific blood as soon as that's done. And they won't administer type specific blood based just on a dogtag or piece of paper, unless that piece of paper is a certified type and screen from THEIR facility. Too many bad things happen when you administer the wrong type of blood to a patient. 

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RiverAux

Yeah, I'll be filling out my info and my emergency contact info and thats it. 

Mslayton_24

I Kind of have an issue with the new forms. I, for one, have medicine allergies. So if there was an emergency and I ended up being treated with those medicines...... Let's just say I might not make it to see the next day. I think they should come up with a new and improved form. Just an idea...
On the battlefield, the military pledges to leave no soldier behind. As a nation, let it be our pledge that when they return home, we leave no veteran behind.
       ~Dan Lipinski

Eclipse

Anyone with life-threatening allergies should have a medic alert bracelet, necklace, sub-dermal chip, or even a tattoo.

I would not trust my life to a CAP form, and now with the new security requirements, getting to them would probably cause more
delay then you'd want with a medical transport, etc.

Another thing not changed is that a From 60 is still required to be on your person for ES, yet you can no longer download the 60 from NHQ.
I always considered it a PITA, but the old 60 in your pocket is infinitely more useful then a 161 locked in someones file cabinet (as is now required).

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

What CAP emergency procedures should be:

Step 1 - Call 911
Step 2 - Let me work it out from there
Step 3 - If I'm in a coma, crack out eServices and call the guy listed there (my dad)

I will not be filling out anything on this form but the emergency contact info. I debated leaving half of my NESA medical form blank too, but decided it wasn't worth fighting over. There's no reason for CAP to know all of a SMs medical conditions, medications, insurance info, etc. I'm a big boy.

Alaric

For myself I put Insurance information is not available on the Form 161 because its nobody's business