Cadet Flying Encampment (1969-1971) facility gone

Started by Mitchell 1969, March 05, 2015, 09:41:47 AM

Mitchell 1969

Between 1969 and 1971, Cadet Flying Encampment, License (CFEL) was held at two locations simultaneously. University of Oklahoma (Norman) and Oklahoma State University (Stillwater). About 24-25 cadets attended each session, with each location hosting two sessions back to back.

Anyway, for anyone who went to Stillwater, you might remember our quarters at "Willham Hall." Males were in Willham North, females in Willham South.

I just learned that Willham Hall was torn down in 2005.

http://www2.okstate.edu/pio/willhamdemo.html

Fond memories. I just thought I'd share.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Cindi

Thanks for the update BJJW. I am surprised it was torn down as Willham Hall was practically a new building, completed in August of 1968. LBJ was president then.

Willham Hall - A twelve story coeducational residence hall complex, the most recent addition to modern university residence at Oklahoma State University, was completed in August of 1968 at a cost of 7.4 million. In the 1,553 resident capacity, high rise living areas, rooms with year 'round temperature control face the perimeter of the buildings, each with a large window. The inner core of design features carpeted halls and study lounges, elevators, and bath facilities on each floor. Residents have enclosed access to the centrally located dining and lounge area featuring such conveniences as carpeting, color television, postal service, snack bar, grill, cafeteria, and four dining areas." FROM A 1970 POSTCARD

-----

CAP folks were such meanies back then. Making us fly almost every day in those little airplanes!

The cadets look so thin and hungry looking back in 1970, I think it was a medical condition.

Housekeeper VOR out.

Mitchell 1969

Apparently they tote it down in order to replace it. It seems thT students no longer want to live 2 to a room, restroom down the hall. It would have cost more to revamp Willham Hall than to pull it down and rebuild with modern amenities.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

PHall

Not to mention the asbestos, lead paint, aluminium wiring...

Cindi

We were there a month in 1970. Flying every day and lots of ground school, and the word was that no one had ever washed out or not got their private pilots license. I remember I planned on taking that summer off from special activities and be lazy at home before college. The summer before I got selected for IACE to  Malaysia, which was a new country to IACE, arriving there a couple months after they had declared a state of national emergency. I did get a solo scholarship but was having a hard time learning to land this old taildragger. Then I got a call from Wing asking if I had passed my FAA written, did I have a 2nd class medical and had I soloed yet. I said I had the medical and had passed the FAA written but had not soloed. Then I was told I needed to solo in two days and be on the plane to Stillwater, Oklahoma. They told me another cadet that had been selected had not passed her written, and if they did not send someone that year, they would lose a slot the next year. The only cost was $99 board and room in Willham Hall for a month. The plane ticket there and back was even paid for by Wing. Needless to say, my plans for a lazy summer never panned out.