Radio Installation in Grand Caravan Examples?

Started by a2capt, February 05, 2013, 09:48:14 PM

a2capt

Anyone got any photos of radios installed in the 7 pax Grand Caravan type vehicles?

I'm thinking about the most reasonable, least blocking location is in the caddy between the seats, even though that thing needs to move to get the spare tire down.

N Harmon

NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on February 05, 2013, 09:48:14 PM
Anyone got any photos of radios installed in the 7 pax Grand Caravan type vehicles?

I'm thinking about the most reasonable, least blocking location is in the caddy between the seats, even though that thing needs to move to get the spare tire down.

Is it sad that I saw "Grand Caravan" and thought of this:

Come on, April!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Critical AOA

Quote from: NIN on February 06, 2013, 02:22:08 AM
Quote from: a2capt on February 05, 2013, 09:48:14 PM

Is it sad that I saw "Grand Caravan" and thought of this:

Come on, April!

My first thought as well.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

LGM30GMCC

Mine as well. Got a ride in an amphibious one once.

Actually was for a CAP event.

I was in a CAP uniform, going to take one of our C172s from Grand Forks, ND to Minot, ND for a conference. I couldn't get in touch with any of the Flight Release Officers to do the brief and head on over. I was in the FBO, frustrated as could be. It just so happened a previous graduate of UND who had sold his company to Amazon was  heading to Minot. He graciously offered me a ride. Turns out his 'family aircraft' was an amphibious Grand Caravan.

As for radio set ups in it? It was pretty fantastic. The stack though was center panel primarily as I recall.

Brad

My former Wing DC (now Wing LG) has a nice mobile setup in his corporate Dodge Caravan, I'll see if I can get some pictures.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

a2capt

Here's what I ended up with:

Passed through the main grommet in the firewall, where being able to be a contortionist is an important skill.. ;)

..and wired up to the battery. There's an inline fuse on the positive line, and tapped an un-used (not-installed) seat heater position in the fuse box for the auxiliary enable.