The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: TDHenderson on January 13, 2007, 01:23:26 AM
Hey now!  Play nice...

The ACE formed by the wings of the Phoenix symbolize our three primary missions.

Aerospace Education
Cadet Programs
Emergency Services

Sorry.  I didn't know it was a Phoenix.  I couldn't quite figure out what it was.
Another former CAP officer

TDHenderson

No problem sir!  It was not obvious to me the first time I saw it either.  We had to retain elements from the previous squadron patch and that was the main thing we kept.

MIKE

Quote from: TDHenderson on January 13, 2007, 01:56:35 AM
OK, made some adjustments based upon comments received.  The squadron name is now complete on the bottom and the squadron motto in latin is on the top.  That translates to "For Our Neighbor".

Better?

Nice fix!  :)
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Quote from: TDHenderson on January 13, 2007, 01:56:35 AM
OK, made some adjustments based upon comments received.  The squadron name is now complete on the bottom and the squadron motto in latin is on the top.  That translates to "For Our Neighbor".

Better?

The only other fix I would suggest is to make the text on the arcs radial instead of all vertical. Like on the Sugarland patch.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LtCol White

I think it looks good just like it is. I wouldnt make it radial. Really nice patch.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Pumbaa

Figured I would put our patch in here..

It was designed a number of years ago by a cadet, it got approved up the chain but sat and languished for over 5 years...

The Cadet who designed it, eventually left the squadron.. (His brothers stayed and are doing very well.

Sad thing this cadet was killed in a tragic accident less than a year ago... 

As I was designing a new patch at the time not knowing about this one, I dropped my design and said we had to go and use his to honor his memory.

We are locaed in what is called the Glider capital of the world...  We have the soaring museum a few miles away, and across the runway from our building is Sweitzer aircraft who made a large contribution to the glider world. (We also have the Curtiss museum about 20 minutes away too)

Eclipse

Quote from: 2nd LT Fairchild on January 20, 2007, 11:56:15 AM
Figured I would put our patch in here..

It was designed a number of years ago by a cadet, it got approved up the chain but sat and languished for over 5 years...

The Cadet who designed it, eventually left the squadron.. (His brothers stayed and are doing very well.

Sad thing this cadet was killed in a tragic accident less than a year ago... 

As I was designing a new patch at the time not knowing about this one, I dropped my design and said we had to go and use his to honor his memory.

We are locaed in what is called the Glider capital of the world...  We have the soaring museum a few miles away, and across the runway from our building is Sweitzer aircraft who made a large contribution to the glider world. (We also have the Curtiss museum about 20 minutes away too)

I like the idea of the glider, but it gets lost in the flag.

A shield is inappropriate for an individual unit, and having only numbers
doesn't tell me who you are.

I respect the idea of honoring a member who died, but you might want to reconsider this and tweak things a bit.  You could use his elements in something closer to the USAF standards.

In this case, I can't tell what unit you're form, or even what service.

"That Others May Zoom"

flight dispatcher

Isn't the "challenge coin" prety much replacing the unit patch?

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

floridacyclist

Here's what we have so far, but it hasn't been approved by anone other than the Squadron CC

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

BillB

Gene  Make sure the 172 on the patch doesn't say "USAF Aux"
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

alamrcn

Look, no quotes!  ;D

Here is my squadron's patch...

Anyone wanna trade one of theirs for one of mine?

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

shorning

Eclipse

Quote from: Surprised and Amazed on February 02, 2007, 02:49:28 PM
Isn't the "challenge coin" prety much replacing the unit patch?

Not really, kind of hard to sew a challenge coin on a BDU blouse...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Here's what 2-1/2 years of work, and the best Chinese manufacturing can get you. We just got them from the vendor this week.

The original hand drawn insignia was designed in the mid-60's, and served first as the ILWG Group 7 Insignia, and then Palwaukee.

Few of them still exist, however the officer who drew it still has a used Grp 7 version, a used Palwaukee one, and a new, unworn leather version of the Palwaukee one.

He is still one of the most active pilots in ILWG and a 7-level CFI who looks and acts about 2/3rd's his age.

He was involved, as were most of PWK's members in the new design.

The idea was to update the eagle rescuing a downed aircraft to a more modern look and one that would conform better to the standards of heraldry.

The first shows a scan of the original center with photoshoped text (can't find the original scan).  Next is the approved art, and last is a scan of the patches.  I think they came out beautiful - the scan does not do the colors justice.

For those who want to nitpick, I will grant that having text in the main field breaks the rules.  This was an overt decision in an effort to pay homage to the long history of one of the oldest units in CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

jbkrieger

AlphaSigOU

This is the patch I helped design (with some additional input from others) for Texas Wing Group III:

QuoteThe Group III Emblem was designed in accordance with Air Force Instruction AFI 84-105. Group and wing emblems are shield-shaped, while squadron emblems are on a disc.

The heraldic blazon (the unique language used to describe heraldic emblems) is as follows:

On a shield sable with a diminutive border or, the Texas state flag in the outline of the state of Texas proper, with a Roman numeral III gules in the field argent. On upper sinister quadrant, the Air Force emblem argent, on lower dexter quadrant a triangle argent with a three-bladed propeller gules. Motto: TERTIA SEMPER PRIMORIS (Third [Group] Is Always First).

In plain English, the above means:

On a black shield with a small gold border, the Texas state flag in the outline of the state of Texas (in its proper colors [of red, white and blue]), with a red Roman numeral III in the white field. On the upper left quadrant (as worn by the bearer), the Air Force symbol in white, on the lower right quadrant a white triangle with a red three-bladed propeller (the CAP emblem). Motto: TERTIA SEMPER PRIMORIS (Third [Group] Is Always First).

The emblem design was co-authored by 1st Lt Charles E. Corway and Capt Arthur E. Woodgate. The finishing touches were the result of a collaborative effort by a Group III team.

Significance of the Emblem: The focal point of the emblem is the State of Texas which acknowledges Group III as a part of the Texas Wing and that our volunteers support the great State of Texas.  As with the flag of the United States, the blue stands for loyalty, the white represents purity, and the red is for bravery, all traits exhibited by our volunteer members on a regular basis.  The five points of the Lone Star represent the characteristics of a good citizen, which are fortitude, loyalty, righteousness, prudence, and broadmindedness.  The Roman numeral three is the official Group designation and is positioned in North Texas near the location of the Group headquarters.

Within the black background are the symbols of the United States Air Force and the Civil Air Patrol showing the partnership that exists both by congressional order and by virtue of the great working relationship that we enjoy.  The black background represents the night sky that our volunteers often work within providing support.  The entire patch is surrounded in gold representing the purity of our intent to serve our fellow man through volunteerism.

Finally, the motto Tertia Semper Primoris is Latin and translates to "Third Always First".  This motto puts forth the Group III ideal to always strive for excellence in all that we do.  Being first is not intended to denote winning but rather to lead the way.

P.S. Ace, I owe you a patch! Glad caparchives got ahold of one for the collection as well.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

While we have never made this into a physical "patch" we put it on everything.  It was designed by me until we can get a better one going...

It says it all...were from TEXAS (via the Texas wing patch lonestar), were CAP ("CAP" and the Tri-Prop) and were from Corpus Christi (via the scrolling).

I'm gonna get a contest open to see who can design a better one.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 25, 2007, 06:23:09 PM
While we have never made this into a physical "patch" we put it on everything.  It was designed by me until we can get a better one going...

It says it all...were from TEXAS (via the Texas wing patch lonestar), were CAP ("CAP" and the Tri-Prop) and were from Corpus Christi (via the scrolling).

I'm gonna get a contest open to see who can design a better one.

Nice - it should be a  a disc w/ rockers, and this could be reshaped easily...

I would also suggest going with the full MAJCOM (if it ever stabilizes), and removing the "CAP".  The wings and star are really sharp and stand on their own.  The prop-n-shield tell the world you are CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"