Transition to 182T

Started by farsightusf2017, December 02, 2018, 04:29:37 PM

farsightusf2017

I have recently transitioned to the 182T/G1000 and seem to be having some trouble with the landings (In earlier models but later model haven't had an issue?) Does anyone have any guidance on common issues or mistakes people make when new to the 182? I flew a Q model after my PPL and had no issues so I am confused. Has anyone noticed a seat height difference between airplanes? I'm a low time pilot just shy of 200 hrs so any advice is greatly appreciated!

etodd

Slow it down. Active use of trim on final, keep the nose up.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Live2Learn

What etodd suggests plus:

Fly weight adjusted approach speeds on short final and into the flare.  Book numbers are at GTOW.

Carry a little power into the flare, then slowly retard the throttle as you round out to allow the aircraft to settle on the mains.  Some pilots like to do 'carrier landings' (also known as 'arrivals').  That isn't necessary and risks whacking the runway with your fragile nose wheel.

If you can, Find a CAP instructor to fly with and work on your sight picture.  A single flight with a really skilled DPE friend years ago made worlds of difference for my landings & other maneuvers.  Those improvements carried over to other aircraft I've flown.  You've probably already noticed that 'thar be CFIs, and thar be really good CFIs!'

Make sure your seat is always in the same place (height & location on the seat rails) before you close the door & start your engine.

Blanding

Consider that the 182 elevator is heavier than a 172, and when you reduce power on approach there may be a tendency for the elevator to sink as you now require much more effort to hold it in the same position than you would on a 172.

Practice makes perfect!

dwb

Quote from: farsightusf2017 on December 02, 2018, 04:29:37 PM
Has anyone noticed a seat height difference between airplanes?

Are you short? I use a seat cushion in the 182. I can see over the panel without one, but my sight picture (and thus my landings) are much improved with the little boost.

Live2Learn

Quote from: dwb on December 03, 2018, 05:10:27 PM
Quote from: farsightusf2017 on December 02, 2018, 04:29:37 PM
Has anyone noticed a seat height difference between airplanes?

Are you short? I use a seat cushion in the 182. I can see over the panel without one, but my sight picture (and thus my landings) are much improved with the little boost.

Check out Oregon Aero's memory foam seat cushions.  They offer about 1 1/2" of 'lift' and a little shift forward.  I use one on every flight since after 3 hours my gloots get tired.  I can get the seat into the 'sweet spot' ok in a C172 or C182 ok, but I like bit more elevation in the 200 series Cessnas.

You can also find 'em on Amazon.  https://www.oregonaero.com/accessories/softseat-portable-cushions

They're a LOT!!! better than boat cushions!

dwb

This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVYOAUY/

Gets the job done. Fits (just barely) on the C182 seat. I also use it for my kids when they ride right-seat in the C172s I rent.

farsightusf2017

Thank you all so much! Currently trying to get with an instructor and get a seat cushion and see if that all helps

mdickinson

Good advice. I can second the Oregon Aero recommendation - they are top quality. I got one 20 years ago and it's still going strong.

Here is the (somewhat thinner, cheaper, just as comfortable) cushion I use now - until 31 Dec, they are $30 for two at Costco ($33 if you have it shipped.)
https://www.costco.com/Ultimate-Gel-Comfort-Seat-Cushion-2-pack.product.100424974.html
One is in the car and used in the plane, and the other one is on my desk chair at home. (These are perfect for those of us who don't have much built-in cushion.)