Main Menu

AIF Binders

Started by scooter, December 19, 2007, 06:42:13 PM

scooter

Is anyone else having trouble with the white plastic binders specified by NHQ for the Aircraft Information Files. We have to replace ours almost every two months, they just fall apart because of the heat/cold/use. Fortunately we have been able to scrounge replacements but the supply is running out.

Previously we used the cloth binders with a zipper. Worked great, lasted at least 2 years or longer.

I am thinking of calling the OPR and asking if we can go back to the cloth binder and save some $.

sparks

We had the same problem with the plastic cracking. Cold winter temperatures makes the plastic brittle causing cracks to develop and covers detaching. Every time the front and rear flap is moved (opening and closing) the plastic breaks a little more. Previously wing discovered  binders made of cloth with a zippers that were almost indestructible. They were universally installed in all wing aircraft. Papers didn't blow away in the wind as easily thanks to the zipper keeping the binder closed.

If asked I'd vote to allow wings the option of using a better binder.

arajca

Quote from: scooter on December 19, 2007, 06:42:13 PM
I am thinking of calling the OPR and asking if we can go back to the cloth binder and save some $.

So ask. The worst they can do is say no.

scooter

I plan on it. I don't know if this is a local or national problem. If it is national, then there is a better chance someone will actually listen.

arajca

I'd say it's more of a regional problem. I don't think the folks in the southern states have the freeze/thaw/bake problems the northern part of the country does.

SJFedor

Quote from: arajca on December 20, 2007, 04:31:12 AM
I'd say it's more of a regional problem. I don't think the folks in the southern states have the freeze/thaw/bake problems the northern part of the country does.

Yeah, it's more like bake/bake/bake problems  ;D

Anyone tried to get a real heavy duty white binder? Ours have been holding up rather well.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

sparks

We have had an AIF which was the same size as the plastic binders but had metal piano hinged front and back covers. They didn't suffer from the extremes of hot or cold temperatures. The binders that zipped shut were the favorites because of the extra pockets that could hold other supplies like pens, pencils and even a straight edge.

Yes, it's time to submit a change request to the regulation.

ricecakecm

I just kept my zipper binders.  I put everything that they required in there.  When you  unzip the binder, the first thing you see is the coversheet.  Their DA chart is the last thing in the binder.

If they don't like it, tough.  I'm not going to drop 10 bucks per airplane a few times a year.

One wing I know put together the binders for their airplanes, then shrinkwrapped them and threw them in the baggage compartment while continuing to use their binders.