Air Unit made the news

Started by Flying Pig, March 11, 2011, 05:03:17 PM

Flying Pig

http://www.kmph.com/global/category.asp?c=170789&clipId=5649999&topVideoCatNo=102655&autoStart=true

Im the guy getting out of the airplane that you see for about a 1/2 sec at 1:32.  Not a bad story. 

bosshawk

Rob: good piece about your unit.  I would recognize that bald head almost anywhere.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

It is a trend setter is it not?

blackrain

I have a question on the subject of fixed versus rotary wing. Given that fixed wing is less expensive how much mission capability in the LE mission is lost if a department goes fixed wing only?
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

JK657

Flying Pig

Quote from: blackrain on March 12, 2011, 01:10:35 AM
I have a question on the subject of fixed versus rotary wing. Given that fixed wing is less expensive how much mission capability in the LE mission is lost if a department goes fixed wing only?

In our case, the airplane is more expensive.  $197 per hr on the helo vs. $236 pr hr on the plane.  Those are DOCs. Mainly because of gas prices. Safety is probably a big concern.  An airplane cant get down to roof top level or turn tight turns like what are used for a foot chase or a vehicle pursuit. The weather minimums are obviously higher for a plane.  We can launch out one mile clear of clouds at 500 AGL and patrol all day long.  Cant do that in a plane.  Same at night.  An airplane isnt going to have a spot light (Yes, I know they do have mods for it but then suck)    tactical, inserting SWAT, shooting from the helo, etc.  SAR is a whole different animal, insertions, extractions.  In my agency, on patrol we land and handle calls and land to back up ground units.  So there is A LOT that cant happen with fixed wing only.  Ive actually held people at gun point from the helicopter while hovering over the top of them until ground units could arrive.  We located a suspect hiding in the top of a tree and did just that.  When he put his hands up, he fell out of the tree >:D  He was OK though.  You aint gonna do that from a plane!!!

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 11, 2011, 05:03:17 PM
Im the guy getting out of the airplane that you see for about a 1/2 sec at 1:32.  Not a bad story.

"That Others May Zoom"