Main Menu

CAP National Marketing

Started by etodd, July 09, 2023, 01:20:40 AM

etodd

Page 10 of the August AOPA magazine. Many will disagree with me, but i hate this kind of misleading advertising. 35,000 or whatever members and maybe 20(?) get involved with this mission once or twice a year. People join thinking we are all action and adventure. Then drop out after a few months when they see the typical squadron does very little adventure.

Advertising should be realistic ... not bait and switch.

JMHOs ....
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

RiverAux

Well, you've got to sell the sizzle.... Not having seen the ad I don't know if it was egregiously bad, but what would you recommend being the main point of an recruiting add in a pilot-focused magazine?  In this case we're wanting pilots to volunteer their skills with CAP and that is mainly going to be used in an ES context and in giving o-rides to cadets and for a very small number giving flight training is what they would be using those skills for. 

Based on your comment, I wouldn't think including our membership numbers would be particularly helpful in gaining new ones. 

Fubar

Here's the ad. Sorry it's zipped, the forum doesn't allow image files to be attached to posts.

The ad implies we get to fly alongside military fighters on a regular basis to test TFRs.AD.zip

Eclipse

This smacks of the Olympic videos, mag signs on the borrowed Hummer, and planes at the airshow
from 200 Miles away.
busted.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Well, I tend to agree that these sorts of extremely geographically limited missions are probably not appropriate for general ads

Now, if CAP was running a series of social media posts that were essentially supposed to be recruiting ads, I would probably include it in the mix, but it would only represent a small number of the ad versions. 

baronet68

Quote from: RiverAux on July 09, 2023, 11:58:33 PMNow, if CAP was running a series of social media posts that were essentially supposed to be recruiting ads, I would probably include it in the mix, but it would only represent a small number of the ad versions. 

While I don't control the ad content put out by the MAC team, I do know that this is part of a series of ads that each contain a different variation on a theme.  For the AOPA magazine, they are all entirely pilot focused.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager