Main Menu

This is cool

Started by Flying Pig, January 02, 2008, 08:52:40 AM

Flying Pig

http://www.maniacworld.com/Phone-Salesman-Amazes-Crowd.html

I got this as an email about never judging a book by its cover.  You may have seen it, but watch how the facial expressions of the judges change from almost humorous when he says hes going to sing opera, to amazement as he actually DOES sing opera.

His name is Paul Potts.  Go on you tube and see other interviews with him.  Its a true rags to riches story.

James Shaw

I am a fan of some operas. He reminds me of a guy ame Russell Watson. With some classical training he would be even better. Thanks for the video.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Eclipse

Good on the guy - he's got this sympathetic face, and a "almost" made for television story:

Quote from: Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Potts
During the programme there was some controversy[15]as to the "undiscovered" nature of Potts' talent. He was portrayed on the show as simply a mobile-phone salesman, whereas he had in fact appeared in four amateur opera productions and in a concert for the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra[8] and had plans for a summer tour with the Orchestra.[8] Potts responded to his critics saying that he had not claimed to be completely untutored, that he had never performed any concert for pay and was therefore amateur and that the lessons he had received in Italy had been paid for from his own savings

I didn't realize the British show did their auditions in front of an audience with music, which makes them much less painful than the closed door / no music torture of the US version.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Nice video to start my day. Thanks.

mikeylikey

That show is so classy in the UK.  Over here in the States, it is so Hillbilly. 

He did go on to win if I am not mistaken!
What's up monkeys?

Flying Pig

He did win.  He already has a CD out which went #1 for that style of music and is already touring.

mikeylikey

^ Good for him.  Going from selling cell phones to making $$ is awesome!  He was very impressive. 
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

Dangit, now I've had "Nessun Dorma" stuck in my head for the last 6 hours.  I haven't been this miserable since "CAP is on the go"

mikeylikey

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 03, 2008, 05:41:56 AM
Dangit, now I've had "Nessun Dorma" stuck in my head for the last 6 hours.  I haven't been this miserable since "CAP is on the go"

Easy fix.  Step 1, Find Hard Brick Wall.  Step 2, smash head into brick wall.  Step 3, repeat as necessary.  If that fails.......rolling rock always worked for me!   ;D
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 03, 2008, 05:45:45 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 03, 2008, 05:41:56 AM

Easy fix.  Step 1, Find Hard Brick Wall.  Step 2, smash head into brick wall.  Step 3, repeat as necessary.  If that fails.......rolling rock always worked for me!   ;D

You're talking to someone who until recently devoted his life to music.  Lived, slept, and ate it.  It takes more than a brick wall and a beer to get music out of my head.

mikeylikey

^ So the boy band fell apart, and now your bitter?   >:D

Are you joining the AF.......assumption from your previous posts
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

^No, the contemporary trumpeter got sick of sitting in college classrooms, learning music theory, and generally just treading water.  And yes, I am.