CAP Manuals, Pamphlets and Regulations

Started by Major Carrales, September 11, 2007, 12:05:01 AM

Major Carrales

CAPR 5-4...

"Manuals" announce procedures and guidance for performing standard tasks and usually contain examples.

"Pamphlets" are nondirective, informative, "how-to" type publications that may include suggested methods and techniques for implementing CAP policies.

"Regulations" announce policies, direct actions and prescribe standards.

OK, so CAPM 39-1 merely announces procedures and guidance for wearing uniforms and the standards there of, containing examples.  It would then be out of like when it makes statements like "sole source" of uniform wear.  It would need to be CAPR-39-1 to have that force of law.

What's more, the CAPP's don't seem to have the force of LAW either being nondirective, informative, "how-to" type publications that may include suggested methods and techniques for implementing CAP policies.  What would that mean?  Does that mean that they are only advisory?

I really think the determinations have lost their meaning.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

They haven't really lost their meaning, the "M" and "P" gain "authority" when an "R" says so.

For instance, say CAPR 52-16 says, cadet will wear their uniform in accordance with CAPM 39-1.  BAM! Everything in CAPM 39-1 becomes regulatory in nature when used in situations dealing with CAPR 52-16.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ADCAPer

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 11, 2007, 12:05:01 AM
CAPR 50-4...

I really think the determinations have lost their meaning.

I assume you meant CAPR 5-4, Publications and Forms Management, and I have to disagree. The determinations have not lost their meaning, but up and down the CAP Chain of Command there are too many people who have decided that they can pick and choose which regulations they want to follow.

IceNine

They may not have lost the meaning but a lot of what is in them falls on deaf ears because of inconsistencies from REG-REG, REG-MAN, REG-ICL, etc.

It's hard enough to keep up with changes, especially when they are unpublished/ unannounced.  Let alone try to decipher which reg contradicts the hot off the press manual you just read.

I don't think its an issue of decreased meaning or obtained connotations, its a simple matter of exhaustion.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RogueLeader

It also has to do with the situation involved when the regs are in contradiction.  Say CAPR-A contradicts CAPR-B in section B-Sub D Sub A.  Now what is the commander to do?  He/She must evaluate the situation and say that the situation fits with A better than B so the commander would follow A.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

I should also note that there was once a CAPR 39-1 but has since been combined with CAPR 39-2 or eliminated.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Viper QA

Regardless of what the definition of a manual is in CAPR 50-4, CAPM 39-1 & the attachments to it are the "sole source" of guidance on wear of all CAP uniforms.

This is affirmed in chapter one, which states COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. It further states that deviations are not authorized.

I know some folks don't like that, but if CAPM 39-1 does not authorize it...you can't wear it!
J.J. Jones
NY-135

Hawk200

Quote from: Viper QA on September 11, 2007, 01:46:23 AM
Regardless of what the definition of a manual is in CAPR 50-4, CAPM 39-1 & the attachments to it are the "sole source" of guidance on wear of all CAP uniforms.

This is affirmed in chapter one, which states COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. It further states that deviations are not authorized.

I know some folks don't like that, but if CAPM 39-1 does not authorize it...you can't wear it!

That's the number one fight: "It doesn't say I can't, so it's OK." Prolly another reason why we have issues with some active duty folks.

People rarely try that in the military. It would get you adjusted rather quickly.

Eclipse

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 11, 2007, 01:29:03 AM
They may not have lost the meaning but a lot of what is in them falls on deaf ears because of inconsistencies from REG-REG, REG-MAN, REG-ICL, etc.

It's hard enough to keep up with changes, especially when they are unpublished/ unannounced.  Let alone try to decipher which reg contradicts the hot off the press manual you just read.

I don't think its an issue of decreased meaning or obtained connotations, its a simple matter of exhaustion.

Heh, and yet many of our members can, off the top of their heads, wiggle off who has the most yards rushing on 3 & 4 with 2 minutes left in a conference game, between former teamates or some such.

Some of this is what you CHOOSE to pay attention to, and since the ramifications are slight in even the tightest squadron, and non-existent in others, people just don't care, but when you start threatening things like "you can't fly out of uniform", they get all indignant...

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

As best I can tell they've made something a "manual" if it has pictures in it and a "regulation" if it does not.  I'm sure thats not the official difference, but its the way it looks.