Greetings - I'm the newbe...

Started by Rube11, August 10, 2007, 04:15:19 PM

Rube11

Hello from AZ,

Joined the CAP Talk group yesterday to find out the scoop on the current happenings with HQ CAP...and just like most of you, I'm a little disturbed.

I was the AZ Wing Liaison NCO from 1995 to 2002.  When AF converted all Liaison Office (LO) positions to State and Deputy State Director positions, I assumed the Deputy position and continued this position until all Deputies nationwide were "eliminated" through a Reduction-in-force...affecting every former NCO at   every CAP Wing that had a Deputy State Director.  NOTE:  I inherited the vacated Liaison Officer position and I was solo for "3.5 years" when this position was vacated by a retired Major.  What a valuable experience and one I enjoyed.     

Yes, I'm a retired USAF SMSgt (20 years of service) and when I retired in 95, I transitioned immediately into the LNCO postion in AZ.  Once my position was eliminated, I volunteered and was selected to become the first AZ Wing CAP Command First Sergeant--keeping my SMSgt rank (hard to give up the chevrons I worked so hard to earn in the AF only to put on officer rank--the pay did not equate!).  My primary responsibilities as I saw them was to take care of the health, morale and welfare of all AZ Wing CAP senior and cadet members.  I worked directly for two different Wing Commanders.  Due to health concerns, I needed to resign my position in Nov 04 and volunteered again and was hired in Sep 06.  I've resigned my postion again in June 2007 for many reasons...

I've developed over 10 PowerPoint lesson plans from leadership to discipline to customs and courtesies to effective communication throughout the past 12 years, and I have instructed at all levels in AZ Wing CAP; SLS; CLC; TLC; UCC, Encampments; Cadet Officer / NCO Academies and I held two-day Leadership Seminars for newly developed unit personnel.  My passion has been and always will be working with in the cadet program by assisting "open-minded" senior members understand the importance of how to effectively motivate and lead our cadets / youths in AZ.  Thanks to my almost 6 years as an USAF NCO Leadership School Instructor and 6 years working on staff at the Air Force Academy, I've learned how to effectively work with cadets, how to get the most from them and the importance of treating them with dignity and respect ... they've in-turn treated me the same way!

I'm available to discuss just about anything dealing with any subject on this CAP Talk due to my vast experience in the AF and with my 8 years overseeing all three missions in CAP (I'm a little weak in AE).  Currently I'm working as a DOD Civil Service employee at Luke AFB. 

Yes, CAP is receiving another blackeye...perception is real...and I'm confident we will get over this in due time -- the same way we've done so with past derogatory issues.  I agree with one of the previous posts to new members; what happens at NHQ should not, I repeat; should not affect what you all do at the unit level.   

And yes, CAP is still the best kept secret and our cadet program is the best in the world as long as we have senior members who are leading cadets for the right reasons; and our seniors have the experience and expertise to provide positive, motivational and effective leadership to their cadet corps or have the desire to learn the right techniques!

Just wanted to introduce myself.  I look forward to talking to you soon!

Aim High...

Del Rubi
SMSgt, USAF (Retired)     

shorning

Hawk200

Welcome, Sgt Rubi. Always good to have NCO's on board.

BTW, I'd be interested in those Powerpoint slides. I've actually got a couple of new seniors that want to learn the military C&C, and many of my cadets could use them too.

Snake Doctor

SMSgt Rubi,

Welcome and thank you for your service. 
I would love to see those PPT Lesson Plans. 
I recently started a thread "Motivation to attend Professional Development" http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2533.0
Some pretty good suggestions. Perhaps you could weigh in?

Paul
(USAF Retired)
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Rube11

Folks,

I've already received a couple of requests for the lessons I've developed...

It will be impossible to send my lessons to every person requesting them individually in the future.

I'm not a computer guru...so, who can I send these to or where can I forward all my lessons to be loaded on a server so anyone needing them can download?

I'm sure you can understand my dilemma...I should have thought this out before I mentioned it in my first post.  I'll fulfill my obligation for the two requests, however, will have to cease until we get this ironed out.  Appreciate your understanding.

Regards,

Del

Pylon

You can attach it to a post here on any CAPTalk discussion thread, including right here.  When writing a post, simply click the "Additional Options..." text below the main text-box, and you'll see how you can browse to any file or files you'd like to attach and upload to the CAPTalk server.  Members can then download them right from here.

Keep in mind, only certain file types are allowed and there is a size limit.  You can always zip multiple files or dis-allowed file types together and upload the zip.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on August 10, 2007, 07:07:23 PM
You can attach it to a post here on any CAPTalk discussion thread, including right here.  When writing a post, simply click the "Additional Options..." text below the main text-box, and you'll see how you can browse to any file or files you'd like to attach and upload to the CAPTalk server.  Members can then download them right from here.

Keep in mind, only certain file types are allowed and there is a size limit.  You can always zip multiple files or dis-allowed file types together and upload the zip.

I can probably host on the PAWG web site if the file size is too big.

Rube11

Thanks,

I think Hawkeye is going to assist...

Stand by.

Del

alamrcn

We lost our Sergeant Jeff in that restructuring slaughter too, very sad, the wing misses him greatly.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Rube11

Many dynamic Senior NCOs (MSgt thru CMSgt) and NCOs (SSgt and TSgt) were put out to pasture! 

Most, if not, all made things happen for their individual wings.

Del

Hawk200

Quote from: Rube11 on August 10, 2007, 07:40:37 PM
Thanks,

Stand by.

Del

I tried but it won't let me post Powerpoints. Don't know what to do, and I need to sign off for now.

JC004

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 10, 2007, 08:32:08 PM
Quote from: Rube11 on August 10, 2007, 07:40:37 PM
Thanks,

Stand by.

Del

I tried but it won't let me post Powerpoints. Don't know what to do, and I need to sign off for now.

If you e-mail them to me, I'll take care of them.

Pylon

ZIP it, then post.  :)

Allowed file types: doc, dot, pdf, jpg, gif, png, zip
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Rube11

Folks,

Our webmaster is now doing his magic and posting seven (7) PPT lessons on our site.

My thanks to James!

Del

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on August 10, 2007, 09:15:36 PM

ZIP it, then post.  :)

Allowed file types: doc, dot, pdf, jpg, gif, png, zip

Shhh.  I'm working on them.

JC004

Rube11

Thanks James...you da man!

Ladies and gentlemen; you will find the following lessons on the server:

- AF Leadership (very appropriate for CAP--the AF Aux)
- Building a Cadet / Senior Team (very effective when both cadets and seniors are in the audience!)
- Customs and Courtesies
- Effective Communication (newly developed and I only taught this one time--some fine tuning required)
- Enlisted Force Structure (how appropriate after reading the traffic with CMSgt C., NHQ Command Chief)  Specifically used with the cadet program at their cadet NCO academies.
- Professional Responsibilities -- very appropriate for CAP.  Helps to minimize the "Come and Play" attitude for some CAP members.
- Command Responsibility and Accountability (a hard hitting lesson for new commanders).

I've provided some of these lessons to our sharpest cadets and they have made solo presentations I'm proud to say.  I've team taught with cadets -- this is very effective.  I love to instruct so I try to present solo as much as possible.

Hope you enjoy...

Regards,

Rube11