Availability of info on CAP activites

Started by RiverAux, November 10, 2006, 08:12:19 PM

RiverAux

One of the more interesting aspects of being in the Coast Guard Auxiliary is their very different approach to information gathering and the availability of that information.  For example, they ask members to submit reports on the amount of time spent in any CG Aux activity just like you might report your time doing various tasks at your real job.  All of this information is fully available to all CG Auxies (and the public too, at any time). 

In CAP however it is a very different situation.  We don't bother with reporting individual times and even information on missions is incredibly difficult to get.  National used to have a list of missions, man hours, sorties, etc. posted on the web page that was updated every few months but the last time I looked it was extremely out of date.  Heck, there isn't even any easy way to get info on the missions done by my own unit much less others. 

Now, that is changing a bit with the advent of the WMIRS system.  It looks like we're gradually going to be moving all our mission management and tracking to that system and as of right now you can get a limited amount of data out of it.  There aren't very many user friendly reports yet  but maybe that will change. 

Personally, I think CAP would benefit from having a system that let CAP members find out what was going on if they wanted to know.