Recruiting and Retention in the COVID era and beyond.

Started by JohhnyD, August 30, 2020, 01:01:04 PM

JohhnyD

baronet68 asked for my ideas.

Here is what my unit is doing (copied from a post by our PAO on FB):

My unit started a "Friend Raising" (Thanks to Lisa Myrick for the concept!) Campaign 60 days ago.
Once a month two members spend a day meeting in the community,
July was NCO day as we recruited NCOs through community and veterans groups.
Results?
So far two new CAP NCOs and half a dozen more in the pipeline, a $1,500 cash grant for our Simulator Lab, in-kind donations of equipment, uniforms, and field gear. Much more good to follow.
August was Schools day as we spread the word about both after school Cadet Programs and the AEM program.
Results?
Three of 11 schools visited are talking about forming detached flights after school, two of those about including CAP as an elective year after this. Grant opportunities galore!
September?
Aviation business month. We will visit as many of the business operations on and adjacent to our airport as we can in a month.
YOU CAN DO THIS AS WELL!
Why wait?

We also have a robust FB page and an engaged membership. We just onboarded over a dozen new members this month. Our YOY growth rate is at +30%. Members moving through Phase III and IV rapidly.

baronet68

Quote from: JohhnyD on August 30, 2020, 01:01:04 PMbaronet68 asked for my ideas.
You have shared a lot of great ideas and I'd like to ask a bunch of questions in the hope that we can expand on the topic so that others can see how you mix the ingredients in your unit's "recipe for success". 

Quote from: JohhnyD on August 30, 2020, 01:01:04 PMHere is what my unit is doing (copied from a post by our PAO on FB):

My unit started a "Friend Raising" (Thanks to Lisa Myrick for the concept!) Campaign 60 days ago.
  • Would you mind expanding on the details? 
  • Is this campaign for unit members to recruit friends/family or is this a campaign to recruit new members from similar "friend" organizations? 
  • What guidance do you give members toward 'Friend Raising'?

Quote from: JohhnyD on August 30, 2020, 01:01:04 PMOnce a month two members spend a day meeting in the community,
From your other posts, this sounds like two dedicated members meet with various people (or organizations) throughout the community. 
  • Are there certain personnel types you target for these meetings (e.g. CEO's, Chamber of Commerce Members, etc.)? 
  • Do your members cold-call beforehand or to they secure meetings through pre-existing social contacts? 
  • Do the two members meet together with the same people/orgs or are they working separately? 
  • How long is the typical meeting? 
  • What topics are typically discussed during these meetings?
  • Do members wear corporate or military uniforms, civilian 'Sunday Best', or casual clothing?

Quote from: JohhnyD on August 30, 2020, 01:01:04 PMJuly was NCO day as we recruited NCOs through community and veterans groups.
  • Besides obvious organizations like VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, etc. what are some other community groups that members should reach out to?
  • What advice can you offer other units on how to initiate contact with these organizations?
  • Have you had any success through the auxiliaries of these organizations (typically spouse or associate members)?

Quote from: JohhnyD on August 30, 2020, 01:01:04 PMResults?
So far two new CAP NCOs and half a dozen more in the pipeline, a $1,500 cash grant for our Simulator Lab, in-kind donations of equipment, uniforms, and field gear. Much more good to follow.
Very admirable results.  Congratulations!

Quote from: JohhnyD on August 30, 2020, 01:01:04 PMAugust was Schools day as we spread the word about both after school Cadet Programs and the AEM program.
Results?
Three of 11 schools visited are talking about forming detached flights after school, two of those about including CAP as an elective year after this. Grant opportunities galore!
  • What advice can you offer to others wanting to do the same? 
  • Some localities are reluctant to let any "military" programs into their schools.  Is your community military-friendly or were there any routes you were able to exploit (existing relations with teachers, principals, etc.) to get into the schools? 
  • When visiting the schools, was your audience primarily students, parents, teachers, administrators, or someone else? 
  • Did your members wear corporate or military uniforms, civilian 'Sunday Best', or casual clothing when meeting with schools?

Quote from: JohhnyD on August 30, 2020, 01:01:04 PMSeptember?
Aviation business month. We will visit as many of the business operations on and adjacent to our airport as we can in a month.
YOU CAN DO THIS AS WELL!
Why wait?
  • What value, services, experiences, or opportunities from CAP is your unit offering to aviation business? In other words, what are you 'selling' as the benefit to these businesses (to offer examples for others to follow).

Quote from: JohhnyD on August 30, 2020, 01:01:04 PMWe also have a robust FB page and an engaged membership. We just onboarded over a dozen new members this month. Our YOY growth rate is at +30%. Members moving through Phase III and IV rapidly.
  • Does your unit use any of the paid-ad features from Facebook to promote your activities?
  • Is Facebook your primary social media outlet?  If not, what others have you found to be useful?

Note to all... this is an open forum so everyone is welcomed to provide their input with one caveat:

My motto is 'Find a Path to Yes', which means I'm focused on finding a way to make things happen.  If you're getting ready to start typing furiously to say, "But you/we can't do (fill-in-the-blank) because x, y, and z!" then I'd simply ask you to please click here.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

JohhnyD

Right now this is a tightly centered team, the PAO, assistant PAO and unit CC.

It started as just getting us NCOs. The success combined with the PAO section of the National Conference led to the idea of FRIEND Raising as a precursor to FUND Raising came up, as did the idea of schools based units.

The first day - the NCO day was summarized thusly:

Informal AAR, NCO Recruiting Day 1, start 0615, end 1945.

Presented to 27 members of the local business community at breakfast Rotary, good interest, possible grant, will be able to return and present in-depth in the near future!

Presented 20 20+ VFW prior service, talked about the NCO program, many asked about cadet programs for their kids and grandkids, possible pilot recruits interested. Posted our NCO flyer.

Gave Army and Air NG recruiters tour of our hangar and HQ offices and classrooms, discussed needs. Air NG will be getting us uniform donations, very likely NCO recruits as well. Great connections.

Working lunch.

Tour of Army NG Armory. May sponsor our simulator lab with $1,500, offered tour of their high tech electronic training systems weapons simulators for cadets.

Dropped in to local Chamber of Commerce, never heard of us - fascinated by AE program, Cadet program and NCO possibilities, will have us back to talk to education committee and local government committee.

Presented to local political central committee, elected officials and candidates, about 75 in number - very high level of engagement and interest.

Long day, well worth it. Next month, rinse, repeat.

JohhnyD

25 August 2022 Community Outreach After Action Report

0800 Veterans of Foreign Wars CDA Coffee meeting, presented the Aerospace Education (AE) Connections in Education (ACE) program, the AE Member program and the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) Non Commissioned Officers (NCO) Program
0900 Met with KTEC (the principal, also on the board of three local school districts, including KSD, Wallace and Lakeland), presented the AE, AEM and NCO programs, he is very interested in collaboration. Specific programs we discussed included:
         A LifeFlight "fly-in" at KTEC, the Fire Marshal safety program at our Hangar, his EMT/Medical Program director was a Navy NCO who is now a RN and teaches first aid - possible new member as well as providing first aid classes.
1000 Coeur d'Alene (CDA) Chamber of Commerce, met with CEO a recent emigre from Little Rock, has experience both multi engine and single engine, very interested in our Color Guard, and other volunteer opportunities. Next is 9/25 Friday Circling Raven Golf Course perhaps a table at one of the holes? Perhaps presentations to local government and education committees.
1030 Holy Family Catholic School - Met with Principal , presented ACE, AEM and discussed the potential for after school program.k-8 school, has 2-3 teachers in mind!
1100 Met with CDA Charter Academy Principal briefly, left him AEM/NCO/ACES material - we will reconnect after school starts, he has a staff member Kelley Gleixner whose sone was Cadet CC in 1999/2000 era and findly recalls the program!
Noon - Lunch Sawmill Grill with former County Commissioner , presented all three programs. He is Board Member Greene Idaho Foundation - grant opportunity.
1315 Met with Principal at Immaculate Conception Academy, he will get permission from Priorto start the process of forming a SM Cadre of prior service members of the parish, will advise. (Full presentation of programs done at prior meetings.)
1345 Christian Center School - meet with STEM Teacher and Principal STEM teacher is already a AEM member! They are totally onboard, want to start with more AEMs, integrate activities, then an after school program and then classroom elective program!
1430 American Legion Post Falls met with Post Commander. Former Navy riverboats, former army First Sergeant, retired ISP, 500+ member will advertise our NCO program on website, total support.
1500 Rathdrum STEM Academy - brand new principal, no card, left materials on all three programs, too busy that day to meet.
1530 Genesis Prep Principal, dropped off material, very interested, too busy to meet.
1600 Classical Christian -  brand new principal, no card, left materials on all three programs, too busy that day to meet.

With proper follow up I believe we can have at least two, perhaps more, after school flights and dozens of new AE Members and an unknown number of new SMs.

Next month PAO and assistant PAO will do aviation-oriented firms on and around our airport.

JohhnyD

Quote from: baronet68 on August 30, 2020, 10:11:14 PMMy motto is 'Find a Path to Yes', which means I'm focused on finding a way to make things happen.  If you're getting ready to start typing furiously to say, "But you/we can't do (fill-in-the-blank) because x, y, and z!" then I'd simply ask you to please click here.

If we all get to YES, we all win. You increase my optimism Major, thank you!

BTW Don James tried this three years ago. It ended badly, so be careful.

etodd

JohhnyD .... I am VERY impressed. Thanks for the details.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

JohhnyD

Are there certain personnel types you target for these meetings (e.g. CEO's, Chamber of Commerce Members, etc.)?

They started with groups, Rotary, VFM, American Legion, Army and Air NG units, etc.

Do your members cold-call beforehand or to they secure meetings through pre-existing social contacts?

Both.

Do the two members meet together with the same people/orgs or are they working separately?

So far they have worked as a team.

How long is the typical meeting?

They range from 15 minutes to an hour.

What topics are typically discussed during these meetings?

NCO program, Cadet Program, AEM and the three missions.

Do members wear corporate or military uniforms, civilian 'Sunday Best', or casual clothing?

NCO day - Class B - no ribbons.
AE Day, corporate - polos.

baronet68

Quote from: JohhnyD on August 30, 2020, 11:17:39 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on August 30, 2020, 10:11:14 PMMy motto is 'Find a Path to Yes', which means I'm focused on finding a way to make things happen.  If you're getting ready to start typing furiously to say, "But you/we can't do (fill-in-the-blank) because x, y, and z!" then I'd simply ask you to please click here.

If we all get to YES, we all win. You increase my optimism Major, thank you!

BTW Don James tried this three years ago. It ended badly, so be careful.

Sometimes a "yes, but..." is required.  For example
Question: "Cadets want to fly to the Moon.  Can we do that?"
Answer: "Yes, but we will need a very successful fundraising campaign and some seriously-advanced AE classes.  Let's see what we can do."
 ;D

AirDX

Tagging on to this thread with a simple question: for a while, fingerprints were not required for a new SM app.  I'd swear there was an ICL on it. I think it was effective til the end of July. I "heard" that it had been extended to 31 August, and likely would be beyond that. Was it? Are we back to fingerprinting or no?
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: AirDX on September 04, 2020, 01:24:49 PMTagging on to this thread with a simple question: for a while, fingerprints were not required for a new SM app.  I'd swear there was an ICL on it. I think it was effective til the end of July. I "heard" that it had been extended to 31 August, and likely would be beyond that. Was it? Are we back to fingerprinting or no?

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Fingerprint_Card_Waiver_685E71D4FC496.pdf

It doesn't look like we're back-checking prints after the fact.
I'm really surprised that we're not requiring prints after one year, or even 6 months.

kcebnaes

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 04, 2020, 02:00:31 PMI'm really surprised that we're not requiring prints after one year, or even 6 months.

This is honestly something we should be jumping on. As far as I know, the only time members need to re-do their prints is if they take over a wing / region.

Also, electronic fingerprinting is a thing too. Would be cool to get on that band wagon.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Thingsā„¢

baronet68

Quote from: kcebnaes on September 04, 2020, 02:32:51 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 04, 2020, 02:00:31 PMI'm really surprised that we're not requiring prints after one year, or even 6 months.

This is honestly something we should be jumping on. As far as I know, the only time members need to re-do their prints is if they take over a wing / region.

Also, electronic fingerprinting is a thing too. Would be cool to get on that band wagon.

No need to do any jumping on this...  Once the current situation returns to some greater sense of normalcy, fingerprints will be back on the menu. 

Paper fingerprint background checks with the FBI are CAP's preferred method, but not for the reasons you might think. FBI fingerprint backgrounds provide the same level of information as those done without fingerprints with the major difference being cost.  Non-fingerprint backgrounds cost about three times more than running fingerprints through the FBI. 

In addition to being less expensive, there is a psychological benefit as applicants (and members like yourself) treat the process much more seriously, and believe it to be much more robust and effective, when members are required to submit fingerprints.  Senior Members are re-screened (without fingerprints) every five years.