FCU status?

Started by Майор Хаткевич, February 27, 2015, 03:33:40 PM

PHall

Folks, when you try to compare Military Clothing Sales prices vs Vanguard just remember one little thing.
Military Clothing Sales can sell you the "issue" uniform items while Vanguard can not.  i.e. the $16 short sleeve blues shirt vs the $36 shirt.
If you want the lowest prices you have to shop at the Military Clothing Sales at AAFES.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on February 28, 2015, 02:25:44 AM
Folks, when you try to compare Military Clothing Sales prices vs Vanguard just remember one little thing.
Military Clothing Sales can sell you the "issue" uniform items while Vanguard can not.  i.e. the $16 short sleeve blues shirt vs the $36 shirt.
If you want the lowest prices you have to shop at the Military Clothing Sales at AAFES.

Really? 

It's only been mentioned in this thread about every other response.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Why .. since there is support for members having access to uniform items in the AF publications, can't the pipeline issues be figured out, as for requiring Curry, that would be a good stepping point.

For those of us who have reasonable access to MCSS/AAFES, obtaining uniform items from the store shelves and in some cases where local store management even services via mail, isn't a problem.

So.. if we can get them if we have physical access to them, what is the deal with the FCU backlog?

Process them once a month, provide numbers to AAFES, after a few months, the numbers can be estimated to keep the more moving items available, and pay attention to the shipping address. ;-)

We just got 8 uniforms that we ordered .. all delivered via FedEx in individual boxes. Shipped and delivered on the same day.

(We tend to stay ahead of the game on the FCU, as we have uniform items to issue to cadets, and we place the FCU order with our address as the ship-to, and that goes in supply for the next cadet.)

Now if there's a money issue, a voucher isn't going to fix that. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Ned on February 27, 2015, 07:34:29 PM
QuotePerhaps a national program by which units were mandated to report all serviceable uniforms on hand, which could then
be requested by other members.  There is a lot of cloth sitting in backrooms, never to be worn.

A decent IT guy, or the average 12 year old, could cobble a request system together in a few hours, let the recipient pay flat rate
shipping, done.

Not a bad idea, but we'd have to scrub the numbers pretty carefully.  I could see shipping (even at "flat rate") fairly quickly eating up the cost of a "free" used shirt, for instance.  But I could see it working for larger quantities.

Some other good news:  I understand that using the voucher will take the cadet / Mom / Dad directly to a special page at VG that will offer discounted uniform "packages" designed to make most efficient use of the voucher.  But again, this is a bit premature since the official announcement and program description will be released next week.
I got to toss out the BS flag on this one Ned.   

First off.....what's in it for me.  Sorry that sounds like I'm not a team player....but we are busy at the Nellis Comp Squadron.   I don't have time, nor do my supply guys have time, to inventory my uniforms, report that inventory to NHQ and keep that report up to date.....just so that NHQ can say "Send three size 15 short sleeve shirts to the Homer J. Simpson Cadet Squadron by next Tuesday."

We spend a lot of time begging, borrowing and stealing to keep our uniform room supplied.   We are open with anyone in or out of our squadron who needs a uniform.   

But I just don't see the return on investment if we were to do this. 

Now.....I would support the concept that maybe at the wing level.....the wing works the same contacts we do on base, that Wing maintain the supply in a facility that they somehow get and everyone in the wing has access to.  But a NHQ mandate on the squadrons to do that....so that they can send the uniforms to all over.   That will result in local units NOT reporting any uniforms they have on hand.   Not unless the units get some sort of return on their effort.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 04:49:52 AMI don't have time, nor do my supply guys have time, to inventory my uniforms, report that inventory to NHQ and keep that report up to date.....just so that NHQ can say "Send three size 15 short sleeve shirts to the Homer J. Simpson Cadet Squadron by next Tuesday."

Again, something already supposed to be done, unless you're saying you're sitting on a room full of corporate property
and have no idea what is there.

You should already have a full inventory. sending it somewhere is a trivial process, and maybe it would be your people >asking<.

Of course if you send someone a shirt, then you'd only have two.

Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 04:49:52 AMThat will result in local units NOT reporting any uniforms they have on hand.   Not unless the units get some sort of return on their effort.

So there's no allowance for simply "doing what you're told" and being a "team player"?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 04:49:52 AM
Quote from: Ned on February 27, 2015, 07:34:29 PM
QuotePerhaps a national program by which units were mandated to report all serviceable uniforms on hand, which could then
be requested by other members.  There is a lot of cloth sitting in backrooms, never to be worn.

A decent IT guy, or the average 12 year old, could cobble a request system together in a few hours, let the recipient pay flat rate
shipping, done.

Not a bad idea, but we'd have to scrub the numbers pretty carefully.  I could see shipping (even at "flat rate") fairly quickly eating up the cost of a "free" used shirt, for instance.  But I could see it working for larger quantities.

Some other good news:  I understand that using the voucher will take the cadet / Mom / Dad directly to a special page at VG that will offer discounted uniform "packages" designed to make most efficient use of the voucher.  But again, this is a bit premature since the official announcement and program description will be released next week.
I got to toss out the BS flag on this one Ned.   

First off.....what's in it for me.  Sorry that sounds like I'm not a team player....but we are busy at the Nellis Comp Squadron.   I don't have time, nor do my supply guys have time, to inventory my uniforms, report that inventory to NHQ and keep that report up to date.....just so that NHQ can say "Send three size 15 short sleeve shirts to the Homer J. Simpson Cadet Squadron by next Tuesday."

We spend a lot of time begging, borrowing and stealing to keep our uniform room supplied.   We are open with anyone in or out of our squadron who needs a uniform.   

But I just don't see the return on investment if we were to do this. 

Now.....I would support the concept that maybe at the wing level.....the wing works the same contacts we do on base, that Wing maintain the supply in a facility that they somehow get and everyone in the wing has access to. But a NHQ mandate on the squadrons to do that....so that they can send the uniforms to all over.   That will result in local units NOT reporting any uniforms they have on hand.   Not unless the units get some sort of return on their effort.
Wing has no more time or staff than the squadrons have to accomplish this. As for a central location, The geographically large wings - CA, TX, FA, and even NV, would be seriously hampered in their ability to distribute the uniforms. Are you willing to drive 14 hrs round trip to fetch uniforms from the central storage area that just happens to be in Reno this year?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on February 28, 2015, 05:16:07 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 04:49:52 AMI don't have time, nor do my supply guys have time, to inventory my uniforms, report that inventory to NHQ and keep that report up to date.....just so that NHQ can say "Send three size 15 short sleeve shirts to the Homer J. Simpson Cadet Squadron by next Tuesday."

Again, something already supposed to be done, unless you're saying you're sitting on a room full of corporate property
and have no idea what is there.

You should already have a full inventory. sending it somewhere is a trivial process, and maybe it would be your people >asking<.

Of course if you send someone a shirt, then you'd only have two.
No..sorry....not so...don't have to inventory it.  Don't have to report it.   It does not meet the dollar value threshold for expendable property. 

Again.    Adding work to the squadrons is not the way to fix problems. 

Like I said.  I'm all for sharing with squadrons and people in need.   But mandating a full inventory of uniforms on hand.....and the manpower to keep that up to date......my supply guys would walk out on me.

Eclipse

You guys are way over thinking this.

Make a list, send it up, compile list.

Need something, query list.  If available, throw it an envelope, receiver pays shipping.

Don't have it?  Move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

You don't have an inventory of what you have?  Or you stamp your feet like a 6th grader
and say "you can't make me".

Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 05:21:40 AM
Adding work to the squadrons is not the way to fix problems. 

Managing members is too much work, inventorying corporate property is too much work.

But implementing an NCO corps, that fixes CAP.

Right.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on February 28, 2015, 05:20:08 AM
Wing has no more time or staff than the squadrons have to accomplish this. As for a central location, The geographically large wings - CA, TX, FA, and even NV, would be seriously hampered in their ability to distribute the uniforms. Are you willing to drive 14 hrs round trip to fetch uniforms from the central storage area that just happens to be in Reno this year?
I agree.   Wing is in no better state then we are at the squadron level.

I was suggesting that as an alternative to mandating it on to each and every squadron.  And also by limiting the distribution.....the ROI is a little more visible.   Southern Nevada does a uniform drive and sends them to the central storage facility (which could be on Nellis BTW....no one said it had to be co-located with wing HQ.....just that it had to be run by them).   We know it will be used by NVWG members.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 05:26:18 AMWe know it will be used by NVWG members.

Relevance?

A cadet in IDWG can't have a shirt because NVWG wants to maintain inventory?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on February 28, 2015, 05:24:21 AM
You don't have an inventory of what you have?  Or you stamp your feet like a 6th grader
and say "you can't make me".

Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 05:21:40 AM
Adding work to the squadrons is not the way to fix problems. 

Managing members is too much work, inventorying corporate property is too much work.

But implementing an NCO corps, that fixes CAP.

Right.
Ad hominem attacks Eclipse....I'm shocked....shocked I say!

But since you asked......the implementing of the NCO corps does not add any more burden on the units then any other type of membership does......ergo any benefits that may come from an NCO corps is more or less free from the unit point of view. 

As for "fixes CAP".....I thought we just talking about the long response times of the FCU, the high costs of Vanguard,  the sketchy access to MCSS, and the snafu of AAFES online services.

If we want to talk about "fixing CAP", I suggest that you start another thread....clearly state the problems and then we can have a free for all.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on February 28, 2015, 05:30:29 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 05:26:18 AMWe know it will be used by NVWG members.

Relevance?

A cadet in IDWG can't have a shirt because NVWG wants to maintain inventory?
NVWG is the one doing the work.   We are the ones going to our contacts on base, we are the ones going through the inventory, we are the ones QCing the uniforms and throwing out the bad ones.  We are the finding a storage location, storing the uniforms, maintaining the inventory.

The cadets from IDWG can do the same thing as we do.

Relevance is the return of investment.   We do the work.....we need to see the pay off.  Now if NHQ were to "buy" the uniforms from us.  Maybe we could then turn it into a fund raising venture.   Maybe.

Like I said....in my first post "what's in it for me?"

And before you say anything about it being "CAP property"........all I got to say about that is WING BANKER.

It is the same deal.  Squadron X...works hard to make their money.  They get the donations, they wash the cars, they pay their dues.   Why don't we send this ti the poor kids in IDWG?

>:D

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 05:39:00 AM
And before you say anything about it being "CAP property"........all I got to say about that is WING BANKER.

It is the same deal.  Squadron X...works hard to make their money.  They get the donations, they wash the cars, they pay their dues.   Why don't we send this ti the poor kids in IDWG?

Why not?  One team.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on February 28, 2015, 05:41:33 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 28, 2015, 05:39:00 AM

Why not?  One team.
HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA  you crack me up!

Eclipse

Was this situation discussed, at all, with Congressional leadership during Legislative Days?

Local polling would indicate "no".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on March 02, 2015, 04:53:55 PM
Was this situation discussed, at all, with Congressional leadership during Legislative Days?

Local polling would indicate "no".

Not important. We've got a 75th date coming up, we've got a CGM, and an NCO corps with whole new stripes. Who cares if we "promise" cadets uniforms, but don't deliver?

BillB

Why only AAFES or Vanguard are the only sources of uniforms for cadets? In EVERY Wing there are multiple other sources available. I'm referring to Universities with an AFROTC program, and High Schools with a AFJROTC program. Holm Center sent a memo several years ago on disposing of surplus uniroms for SAFROTC and AFJROTC. These units can only dispose of surplus uniforms by sending them back to DRMO or donating them to Civil Air Patrol. How many Squadrons have even contacted the ROTC units about obtaining the surplus uniforms, and more often than not the surplus includes shoes. Granted, the surplus uniforms are blues only no,  ACU, no BDU, but this gives a new cadet the basic uniform the day he/she submits their application if the Squadron(s) cobntacts the ROTC unit for the surplus. (which are washed before they are turned in)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

jeders

Quote from: BillB on March 04, 2015, 01:00:14 PM
Why only AAFES or Vanguard are the only sources of uniforms for cadets? In EVERY Wing there are multiple other sources available. I'm referring to Universities with an AFROTC program, and High Schools with a AFJROTC program. Holm Center sent a memo several years ago on disposing of surplus uniroms for SAFROTC and AFJROTC. These units can only dispose of surplus uniforms by sending them back to DRMO or donating them to Civil Air Patrol. How many Squadrons have even contacted the ROTC units about obtaining the surplus uniforms, and more often than not the surplus includes shoes. Granted, the surplus uniforms are blues only no,  ACU, no BDU, but this gives a new cadet the basic uniform the day he/she submits their application if the Squadron(s) cobntacts the ROTC unit for the surplus. (which are washed before they are turned in)

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of that memo, would you?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SarDragon

There's a problem with uniforms acquired from ROTC sources: the bits we need most - pants and shirts - are the ones least suitable for wear, due to condition. My old unit used to go to the local AFJROTC unit and pick up their excess uniforms. If we were lucky, one shirt in four was wearable. The rest had horrible stains in the usual places, or were damaged where patches or insignia had been worn. We ended up doing their disposal work for them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret