The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

SJFedor

Quote from: GaryJSO on October 06, 2007, 03:10:11 AM
Has anybody seen anything in CAP channels to figure out what ribbons NOT to wear in order to keep the top of my wings below the notch of the collar?  If I wear everything authorized by the AF and CAP, it comes to a total of 46 ribbons.  Aside from looking like a Peruvian Admiral, the top of my wings end up under my epaulet.

I make do with adding a bar of what I consider to be my 8 most significant CAP ribbons (ESA, MSA, Lifesaving, GRW, Mitchell, Find, SAR, and DR) under my AF rack in service dress and doing without on my shirt.  My JSAM is pretty much MIA in that configuration, but that is literally a small price to pay for not buying another $60 set of ultrathins.

But the guidance in 39-1 is conflicting (I know everybody is shocked) saying wear of ribbons is mandatory, but then (reasonably but still in conflict) saying you can't wear so ribbons it pushes the wings too high.

I think the USCGAux has the right idea: Auxies can choose to wear all, their top 3, or their choice of 9 ribbons.

I'll probably have to hit myself for suggesting this, but...

did you try 4-wide and left justification as you go higher?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

AlphaSigOU

Wear of ribbons are mandatory on the service dress/corporate service dress jacket. However, we senior members can either wear all or some ribbons so we don't get into that situation of having more ribbons than a Mexican general/Peruvian admiral/Venezuelan paratrooper. :)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

GaryJSO

Quote from: SJFedor on October 06, 2007, 03:22:20 AM

Sure.  Even wearing just my 25 USAF ribbons and only 8 CAP, and wearing 4 across on my first 7 rows, the top row comes to the center of the notch on my 44L service jacket.  Wearing the other 13 CAP ribbons, as 39-1 seems to require, would violate the other part about mandatory wear of aero badges and keeping everything below the top of the notch.

PHall

Quote from: GaryJSO on October 07, 2007, 12:11:36 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on October 06, 2007, 03:22:20 AM

Sure.  Even wearing just my 25 USAF ribbons and only 8 CAP, and wearing 4 across on my first 7 rows, the top row comes to the center of the notch on my 44L service jacket.  Wearing the other 13 CAP ribbons, as 39-1 seems to require, would violate the other part about mandatory wear of aero badges and keeping everything below the top of the notch.

I have a similar problem. I have 23 USAF ribbons and 15 CAP ribbons.

What I do is wear 12 CAP ribbons and the top 4 USAF ribbons.
The USAF ribbons I wear are all individual decorations (Meritorious Service Medal, Aerial Achievement Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal and the Air Force Achievement Medal), everything else is pretty much BTDT stuff.

16 ribbons, a pair of wings and a Air Force Speciality Badge pretty much fills the space without looking too over the top.

Pylon

Quote from: GaryJSO on October 07, 2007, 12:11:36 AM
...would violate the other part about mandatory wear of aero badges and keeping everything below the top of the notch.

There's no requirement in CAP for mandatory wear of aeronautical badges. That may be a USAF rule, but you won't find it in any CAP publications.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

James Shaw

I thought they got rid of the requirement that they fall below the notch on the service coat at one of the past National Meetings. Anyone remember?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

chiles

When ordering items from Ultrathin's website, do we use the large or small stars?
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: chiles on October 17, 2007, 02:49:18 PM
When ordering items from Ultrathin's website, do we use the large or small stars?

Use the small stars.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Fifinella

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 06, 2007, 11:41:23 AM
Wear of ribbons are mandatory on the service dress/corporate service dress jacket. However, we senior members can either wear all or some ribbons so we don't get into that situation of having more ribbons than a Mexican general/Peruvian admiral/Venezuelan paratrooper. :)

What he said...CAPR 39-1, p.16: 5. Ribbons:  (required) Worn centered above left breast welt, resting on but not over top edge with 3 or 4 in a row.  Wear all or some.  All ribbons and devices must fall below the top notch of the collar.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SAR-EMT1

Does Ultrathin stock CAP and / or USCG-Aux ribbons?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eclipse

Yes, and they look beautiful when they are done, but its not cheap, especially if you are at a point in your CAP career where they are changing regularly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on October 19, 2007, 05:02:54 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on October 19, 2007, 05:26:06 PM
Yes, and they look beautiful when they are done, but its not cheap, especially if you are at a point in your CAP career where they are changing regularly.

I purchased the ultra thin ribbons at the wing conference two years ago.  They ran about $50.00 for all my Federal, State and CAP ribbons.  They look great!  Just don't add any more ribbons because you'll have to purchase everything all over again and that's expensive  each time you add one.

jb512

Quote from: Grumpy on October 19, 2007, 06:16:06 PM

I purchased the ultra thin ribbons at the wing conference two years ago.  They ran about $50.00 for all my Federal, State and CAP ribbons.  They look great!  Just don't add any more ribbons because you'll have to purchase everything all over again and that's expensive  each time you add one.

Or, you can purchase your first set, then buy a second when you get a new pretty ribbon.  Send the first set back to them when you get another, and they'll fix it up for ya and you won't have to purchase the whole thing all over again.  There's a cost, but you can leapfrog them and it's not near as expensive as it is to buy a whole new rack.  Devices you can attach yourself.

Grumpy

Hey, thanks for the info.  Maybe I can pay off that second mortgage now.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Grumpy on October 19, 2007, 06:16:06 PM

Can't wear State awards on the CAP uniform.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Hawk200

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 20, 2007, 07:29:55 AM
Can't wear State awards on the CAP uniform.

Used to be allowed, and the allowance was quietly removed with the latest rendition. Since a lot of people don't read the new manuals entirely when it comes out, they don't know any better, and just keep wearing things the old way.

Whether or not people think it's right is another story altogether. I think it's screwy that you can wear foreign ribbons, but not state ones. Of course there are the inevitable (and inaccurate) arguments that state awards are "easier" to get. A lot of times the State award is harder to get through a board than the equivalent Federal dec. But that's a different story.

I know of one wing where the state TAG awarded a state dec to CAP members for some kind of joint operation with the National Guard. How does that look to tell the state, "Gee thanks for the ribbons, but we're not going to wear them.."?

And in other cases, a lot of CAP personnel don't know the difference. How can you tell someone they can't wear a State award when they don't know any better, and don't read the manual anyway?

I'd be willing to bet that most CAP members that don't frequent boards like ours are completely ignorant of what actually is authorized.

Grumpy

Oh man!  Now you guys did it.  That means I have to get rid of my favorite ribbon, The Battle if Med Fly.
Tis a sad thing.   :(

It's funny I could do all that time in the guard/reserve and wind up with an Air Force retirement check but  can't wear a ribbon on my CAP uniform.

I shall get it a proper military burial.

jb512

Quote from: Grumpy on October 20, 2007, 03:28:46 PM
Oh man!  Now you guys did it.  That means I have to get rid of my favorite ribbon, The Battle if Med Fly.
Tis a sad thing.   :(

It's funny I could do all that time in the guard/reserve and wind up with an Air Force retirement check but  can't wear a ribbon on my CAP uniform.

I shall get it a proper military burial.

How are you going to pin that ribbon on your golf shirt, mr. grumpy?   ;)

Grumpy

Ya know, I didn't think about that one.  Do you think we could create a squadron supplemental to 39-1 to the affect that we could wear one state ribbon centered above the pocket of the golf shirt?  Then I could keep my Med Fly ribbon.   ;D

Guess not.

AlphaSigOU

Yup. The only one they don't stock right now is the new 'Blue Hornet' - aka the National Commander's Unit Citation. You will need to send 'em an NCUC ribbon for mounting. It's placed before the 'Green Weenie' (Unit Citation) but after the Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040