Main Menu

The future of JROTC

Started by JakeAHigh435, October 23, 2013, 08:16:05 AM

JakeAHigh435

http://www.king5.com/news/aerospace/ap/217067641.html

It seems like a lot of JROTC programs are shutting down because of reduced school budgets. Do you think JROTC will survive by 2020? What do you think cadet programs will in the United States be like in 2030? Do you think JROTC is going to be reformed so it could be more affordable for school districts or will the government rely on CAP, Sea Cadets, and Young Marines to run school based cadet programs?

Patterson

Research into the location/ school district referenced in the article provides a "bigger picture" perspective.  The closure of one program does not equal a trend either!

For over 100 years ROTC programs have been offered in High Schools across the country.  The Services have used JROTC as their "open door" into recruiting young men and women who have had some type of introduction in military study.  Post 1990, JROTC shifted from introducing the tactics and principles of war to a civics and citizenship program (meeting the demand left when public education systems dropped the unpopular "civics" classes, opting instead for "social studies").

As our military is looking at the prospect of the biggest force structure and budget process change since 1947, the discretionary spending of funds to provide programs such as JROTC will be evaluated.

When the typical Greenville teacher (the school district referenced in the link) makes $31,000 and the district receives $50,000 for the JROTC program ($40,000 to pay the retired military instructor and $10,000 for uniforms/equipment and materials to support the program) I am wondering why the districts teachers union has not filed complaints!  There are 30 students in the Greenville JROTC Program, an average classroom in the referenced high school has 32 students.  The average Greenville teacher instructs 150 students each year, the retired Military NCO in Greenville instructs 28-30 each year!!

Fortunately the military has no trouble meeting recruitment mandates, unfortunately that means programs with the goal of recruiting (that are not recruiting the majority) will be cut.

This week the Army announced the closure of longstanding college ROTC units so that they may create new units at institutions in urban settings (read: minority).  The Air Force will announce its consolidation plan for  ROTC units in 2014 and the Navy plans similar.  The focus is shifting within the military departments, I predict JROTC will eventually disappear by 2020.

All JROTC instructors are employed by the school districts in which they teach, what is forgotten most often is each military service provides the cash for those salaries each year.  It will be interesting to see which programs the various districts across the country survive once the military services reduce the cash provided in the next 2 years (meaning the districts will pick up a greater percentage of cost to pay the JROTC Instructor).

AFJROTCcadet425

Quote from: Patterson on October 23, 2013, 10:58:42 PMThis week the Army announced the closure of longstanding college ROTC units so that they may create new units at institutions in urban settings (read: minority).  The Air Force will announce its consolidation plan for  ROTC units in 2014 and the Navy plans similar.  The focus is shifting within the military departments, I predict JROTC will eventually disappear by 2020.

Don't you think JROTC is going to be reformed to survive? One solution is to have the JROTC as unpaid volunteers and the cadets buy their own uniforms. There is also the National Defense Cadet Corps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Cadet_Corps

http://www.njrotc.navy.mil/nndcc.asp

Some schools and students have improvised and started military clubs.

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/club-121400-school-military.html

AFJROTCcadet425

I see Civil Air Patrol school squadrons, National Defense Cadet Corps, and military clubs replacing the JROTC programs in the years ahead. The Civil Air Patrol cadet program has been around longer than the AFJROTC program and I see the CAP cadet program as the air force cadet program of choice for America's youth after the closure of AFJROTC.

AFJROTCcadet425

http://www.youthcadets.org/site/

We may see organizations like this to fill the vacuum left by the closure of JROTC.

JK657

Quote from: AFJROTCcadet425 on October 24, 2013, 03:46:11 AM
I see Civil Air Patrol school squadrons, National Defense Cadet Corps, and military clubs replacing the JROTC programs in the years ahead. The Civil Air Patrol cadet program has been around longer than the AFJROTC program and I see the CAP cadet program as the air force cadet program of choice for America's youth after the closure of AFJROTC.

You're basing this on the closure of one JROTC unit that only had 30 members?

AFJROTCcadet425

http://elkgrove.patch.com/groups/schools/p/florin-high-school-parents-students-protest-rotc-cut

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local/article_3445cd4c-03bb-11e3-b849-0019bb30f31a.html

Well you can't deny the JROTC is on the decline. Patterson says the JROTC will disapear by 2020. I just wanted to know what ideas the CAPTalk community has to save the cadet movement in the United States. Canada, Australia, and the UK have successful cadet programs. I want the U.S. to have cadet programs that are just as good as their cadet programs.

Майор Хаткевич

CAP isn't going anywhere unless McCain gets his wish anytime soon.

AFJROTCcadet425

What if the Air Force Association had it's own cadet program just like the Navy League's Sea Cadets and the Marine Corps League Young Marines? Would an Air Force Association Cadet Corps be just as good as AFJROTC and the CAP cadet program?

Майор Хаткевич

What if a lemon was an orange a lime.

AFJROTCcadet425

Let's get back on topic. I feel the CAP cadet program will outlast AFJROTC. I feel the youth of America deserve an awesome air cadet program.

Blackhawk

I haven't been able to find anything concrete on AFJROTC yet, but Army JROTC has gone into an immediate hiring freeze.  IIRC, AFJROTC is almost 1/2 the size of the Army's, but both offer great programs that I think will endure future budget crises.  That doesn't exclude the likelihood that some will be stricken, but I suspect those that are, will be in places like San Francisco, which has made it incredibly difficult to maintain a program there.

Private Investigator

JROTC has been around since 1916, it is not going anywhere. Units may come and go but is some parts of the country that is a big part of High School, YMMV   8)

AFJROTCcadet425

I agree Private Investigator! JROTC was established in 1916. If it could survive the great depression it can survive our current budget crisis. There will be cadet programs as long as America's youth have the desire to be cadets. When I was a jr high school student I did not want to be known as the athlete or musician. I wanted to be a cadet! If my school did not have JROTC I would either start a military club or try to bring a CAP program to my school.

Garibaldi

7 posts and banned. Wow. Is that a new record?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

No. There used to be a lot of one post spammers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 24, 2013, 03:04:15 PM7 posts and banned. Wow. Is that a new record?
If that's any indicator .. JROTC is doomed. ;)

MacGruff

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 24, 2013, 03:04:15 PM
7 posts and banned. Wow. Is that a new record?

Why on earth would his/her posts cause the banning? Maybe something behind the scenes...

:-\

a2capt

Duplicate account from the same IP that's not attributable to siblings, workplace, common gateway, etc, sending nasty grams, posts themselves so bad they needed to be deleted..

Lots of reasons.

Blackhawk

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 24, 2013, 04:11:25 AM
CAP isn't going anywhere unless McCain gets his wish anytime soon.

What does McCain want to do with CAP?