High Risk acitivities

Started by SAREXinNY, March 28, 2022, 06:58:42 PM

SAREXinNY

It has been years since we conducted a high risk activity and I now cannot find where the requirements are for planning, notification, etc. I looked through CAPR 60-1 but I don't see anything in there about high risk activities nor the requirement for a CAPF 54. Can someone point me in the right direction as to which Reg I need to review and re-familiarize myself with? Thanks in advance.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Now that I'm not on my phone:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/library#Activity%20Risk%20Management

CAPR 60-2, Cadet Protection Program You definitely want to look at paras 2.7.2 and 2.7.3 (et seq)
CAPF 60-82, High Adventure Activity Authorization

The Girl Scouts Safety Activity Checkpoints (Ignore the fact that its from the Girl Scouts if that seems to get your goat. It is really a comprehensive guide to looking at risk management and safety for certain kinds of activities)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SAREXinNY

Thank you very much. I guess I didn't really consider this a "cadet protection" issue in the traditional sense.

etodd

Curious as to what the activity is you are planning. And whether it'll be allowed.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

HaroldBuchanan

Quote from: NIN on March 28, 2022, 08:53:22 PMNow that I'm not on my phone:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/library#Activity%20Risk%20Management

CAPR 60-2, Cadet Protection Program You definitely want to look at paras 2.7.2 and 2.7.3 (et seq)
CAPF 60-82, High Adventure Activity Authorization

The Girl Scouts Safety Activity Checkpoints (Ignore the fact that its from the Girl Scouts if that seems to get your goat. It is really a comprehensive guide to looking at risk management and safety for certain kinds of activities)

Unless you want to do rappelling.  Then it sort of trails off.
LtCol Harold Buchanan
OR-042
DCP
Retired US Army

NIN

Then do a 160 and HAA form and specifically note "not in the guide". If one of my commanders came to me with an activity not in the guide but a full risk assessment and mitigation plan, saying "not in the guide,  but here's our best effort need on similar activities, " as long as they had a realistic plan and solid risk management,  it's going to sail thru my approval.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: NIN on June 26, 2022, 11:52:16 AMThen do a 160 and HAA form and specifically note "not in the guide". If one of my commanders came to me with an activity not in the guide but a full risk assessment and mitigation plan, saying "not in the guide,  but here's our best effort need on similar activities, " as long as they had a realistic plan and solid risk management,  it's going to sail thru my approval.

Same here from the Cadet Programs vantage point.

If someone comes to me and says, "This isn't mandated. What do I do?" I'm going to suggest to them that they do a full risk assessment and have it ready to present. It's actually a requirement just the same to perform the RM for unmitigated/unvetted activities. If it's new, an RM needs to be done. If it's been a while, an RM needs to be done.

My boss isn't going to approve it if you say "Well, I don't think I need to, so I'm going to wing it."