Main Menu

WIWAC

Started by ol'fido, November 17, 2011, 12:41:12 AM

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on February 13, 2014, 11:14:40 PM
OK, informal poll.

How many of you BITD carried a light green and loam GI camo stick in your LBE as cadet?

How many of you ever owned an GI angle head flashlight?

I still love the smell of canvas and sweat you got off of the old Vietnam-era web gear.
We always carried the camo face sticks. I still think the angle-head light (with a boot blouser to hold it on to the suspenders) is the best thing ever. And the canvas smell...oh, the memories...hang on, I'll upload a pic of me going on my first week-long post-Christmas winter FTX...

Note the brand-new jungle boots. The two ammo cans I am sporting contain various...incindiary devices for our New Year's Eve festivities.  Under my coat is a gallon of Coleman fuel. Viet-Nam era steel pot my dad got for me when we went to Encampment (He tried to get me one of the de-milled plastic M-16s but no dice). The Dodge ambulance once sported red crosses, but the Gubmint got a lil' bit upset and made us change to blue. And I think I still had the canvas M-14 pouches but I'm not sure. I at one point went to the M-16 ammo pouches. Hard to believe that at one time I was skinny enough that I had a hard time fitting all the required stuff on my belt. Now there's room left over...stupid weight gain.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

JayT

Quote from: That Anonymous Guy on February 12, 2013, 09:40:07 PM
I know today's teens get a bad wrap but a lot of it (not all) is deserved. I'm often ashamed of my generation.

Don't be. The current generation is no less or more screwed up then every other generation. It's all a matter of perception. People who look back at prior decades and say 'things were so much better back then' at just guilty of looking through rose colored glasses. People have been saying 'kids these days' since the second generation of human beings crawled out of the caves.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

ol'fido

Jay T=This is a recently unlocked thread. The post you quoted is over a year old. Just wanted to make sure you were aware.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ol'fido

WIWAVYC: When I Was A Very Young Cadet

If you look real close at the shirt, you will notice that it is a civilian dress shirt with one patch pocket on the left(picture) side under the Curry Ribbon. I am pretty sure this was in late 1977.

ol'fido

That's me as a c/A1C on the left next to the US flag with the rifle.

ol'fido

A couple of years later. Here I am as a c/LtCol passing off the cadet commander's job to someone else. Yeah, I know about the hair. It was the early 80's. Note the old Coke machine by my squadron commander. Glass bottles!

Stonewall

My favorite thing in the world is old school CAP, especially 70s through the late 80s.
Serving since 1987.

ol'fido

Yeah, mine too.  :'(  ;)

Grumpy

Quote from: FW on February 13, 2014, 03:35:22 PM
Here is a picture of me and "the guys" back in 1969 during a group SAREX. The picture was taken behind our WW2 surplus "temporary buildings" (which lasted till 1997) at the NE Philadelphia Airport.  I'm the c/msgt looking really young! ;D

Memories.  Are those 505's or 1505's?  I wore both in CAP and the AF but I can't tell in that picture.  I wore the fatigues and actually liked the Ridgeway.

FW

^They were 1505's; a little better at staying "unwrinkled"... :) Good times back then; before "Nam" became a bad word for many.  Our squadron had almost 100 cadets comming to meetings.  I still remember my basic "hell weekend" and Curry award ceremony. My first "O'flight" was a trip to AC's Bader Field.  I had to plot the course and plan the flight using pilotage, visiting the local FSS (at that time located at PNE) for a weather briefing.  Great memories indeed! It is the reason I'm still a member; it's a pleasure paying forward.

Pulsar

Quote from: ol'fido on February 15, 2014, 12:54:52 AM
A couple of years later. Here I am as a c/LtCol passing off the cadet commander's job to someone else. Yeah, I know about the hair. It was the early 80's. Note the old Coke machine by my squadron commander. Glass bottles!

What's the second ?name? plate under the other one.
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Pulsar on February 15, 2014, 08:00:58 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on February 15, 2014, 12:54:52 AM

What's the second ?name? plate under the other one.

The one above the pocket says "Civil Air patrol Cadet" the one below is the Name Plate
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

ol'fido

To add to what Mac said, the nameplate looked something like the current blazer nametag without the mini grade.

ol'fido

Quote from: ol'fido on February 15, 2014, 12:41:07 AM

If you look real close at the shirt, you will notice that it is a civilian dress shirt with one patch pocket on the left(picture) side under the Curry Ribbon. I am pretty sure this was in late 1977.
You can see both better in this picture.

MSG Mac

Quote from: ol'fido on February 16, 2014, 02:19:52 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on February 15, 2014, 12:41:07 AM

You can see both better in this picture.

The "CADET CIVIL AIR PATROL" was a metal badge, not plastic 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

wacapgh

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 13, 2014, 12:18:00 PM
Bringing out the old photos - the few that survived from my years as a cadink...

The first picture was of the Florida Wing contingent that attended the Air Training Command Familiarization Course (ATCFC - now Specialized Undergraduate Flying Training Familiarization Course) at Laughlin AFB in the hot summer of 1979. I'm the 'hardkewl' cadet sergeant in the front row, left squinting in the bright Texas sun.

ATCFC in June of 1979 at Mather AFB in California.

We had just settled down for a class, when one of the Senior staff said "Everyone on the buses, NOW!" On the bus, down to the fightline, and just about enough time to go "Why are we standing-" the Alert Sirens go off. "Global Shield" had just been activated. The base commander let our staff know in time to get us down for a front row seat. 6 BUFF's and two tankers, from engine start to off the ground in about 11 minutes.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

It was even more thrilling to be a part of.   To be number 9 of a 12 ship MITO was a very smokey rock and roll ride!

bosshawk

The turbulent air from eight previous BUFFs must have really made for an interesting ride.  I am glad that I never had to do that.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

I was in a tanker. And yes it was an IFR rock and roll show!