Main Menu

LPER alternative?

Started by 321EOD, July 27, 2009, 07:52:21 PM

321EOD

Does anyone have any experience using this - assuming it's only useful as a vehicle mount......

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=DDF1

First impression is that the antennas will need replacing! Other than that I'd be interested in knowing if this is a viable vehicle mounted DF tool to get us close in to the target

Thanks

Steve
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

♠SARKID♠

I don't see any mention of being able to select a frequency.  Sounds like an in-discriminate S meter and not a DF unit.

Larry Mangum

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on July 27, 2009, 08:43:02 PM
I don't see any mention of being able to select a frequency.  Sounds like an in-discriminate S meter and not a DF unit.

That's because you have to provide the receiver.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Major Lord

This is a Doppler direction finding front end, for the price, its actually pretty good. You need an FM receiver for the frequency you want to DF (note: I know aircraft signals are AM,  but you need a receiver that uses FM to work with a Doppler )Doppler units are cool because thy give you a 360 model of your environment, but they are nearly worthless for DF'ing low power signals. It would work fineon the ramp at the local airport though....

Ramsey makes a two antenna TDOA DF unit for about 70.00 that is roughly the equivalent of an old Lper without the receiver stage, and a few other bells and whistles. Unlike some  products alleged to exist out there ( and you know who you are) these actually exist and work. Not exciting, but functional.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Major Lord

If you want a fairly good Doppler unit for the money, and can solder, take a look here: http://byonics.com/dsp-rdf/

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."