Main Menu

Flight Simulator

Started by Billy009, March 06, 2015, 07:31:33 PM

Billy009

Can anyone recommend a good flight simulator? I thought Microsoft used to have one but can't find anything. I would need it to just get much of the cockpit basics down for observer training.

Jakemiller31u

Flight Simulator X is still an option but it is old and has its good old bugs... Lockheed Martin developed something called Prepar3D which, from reviews, seems to be pretty good.

It will look exactly like FSX, but it is said to be much much smoother and has many of the old bugs kinked out. Here is the link: http://www.prepar3d.com/

If you need someone to point you towards some good addon aircraft, shoot me a message and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Billy009

Thank you Jake. I just checked it out. Looks good. I'll let you know.

RangerConlin

Ive got limited experience with Prepar3D, but from what I've seen it's much more in depth and has many more features than FSX, plus it runs so much better.

a2capt

The interesting thing about Prepar3D is it's a violation of the EULA to use it as a "game" ;-)

X-Plane is also a really good environment, however it's also a resource hog, takes a while to get fine tuned, etc.. but worth the time.

Brad

X-Plane is GPU heavy, FSX is processor heavy.

There are also plenty of ways to tweak your client configuration to make it run better. Communities such as avsim, VATSIM, etc. will have tons of information about how to best adjust your client.

I run FSX if only because PMDG hasn't come out with anything for X-Plane (yet...)
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

NIN

Wow, I just got blown away by Prepar3d.....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: Brad on March 07, 2015, 02:48:34 AM
X-Plane is GPU heavy, FSX is processor heavy.

There are also plenty of ways to tweak your client configuration to make it run better. Communities such as avsim, VATSIM, etc. will have tons of information about how to best adjust your client.

I run FSX if only because PMDG hasn't come out with anything for X-Plane (yet...)

No, but they do have Prepar3d models for the 737 and 777.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Prepar3d is the continued development of Flight Simulator by Lockheed Martin
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on March 08, 2015, 03:01:49 AM
And there is still Flight Sim.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Yeah.. no.  Have you flown it?  It makes arcade flying games look realistic.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

MIKE

Also, it may no longer work now that Games for Windows Live is shut down.
Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: MIKE on March 08, 2015, 06:12:03 PM
Also, it may no longer work now that Games for Windows Live is shut down.

FSX still works just fine. Microsoft hasn't supported any of their games in years.

MIKE

MS Flight is not the same sim.  It came after FSX and used GFWL servers to run, which MS has stopped supporting.
Mike Johnston

a2capt

Flight .. it's almost like Microsoft saying, "We're sorry for stopping development, here let us try again", and doing a completely lousy job of it.

NIN

Well, Microsoft wants to make money from you year over year, not just once. buying a copy of Flight Simulator in 2001 and still using it 14 years later, there's no upside for them. they want you to subscribe.

except the subscription model does it really work for games like that.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: NIN on March 09, 2015, 11:10:49 AM
Well, Microsoft wants to make money from you year over year, not just once. buying a copy of Flight Simulator in 2001 and still using it 14 years later, there's no upside for them. they want you to subscribe.

except the subscription model does it really work for games like that.

Oh it works if you're constantly developing new content, which Microsoft is not...

lordmonar

MS was trying to buy in to the MOD community that sprung up around FS-X.   There are modders out there who were making bank on skins, cockpits, and Custom Scenery.    MS though they could do the same thing.   Have the Modders pay for the developer's kit, a licensing fee....and the users would pay for the down loads (ala I-tunes).     

Did not work out that way.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

egardner

Apply for the flight Sim STEM kit