Main Menu

Gear camo pattern

Started by Blackhawk, September 07, 2013, 06:29:29 PM

Blackhawk

What is the typical camo/color scheme folks are using for their gear (packs, etc.)?  With woodland being the staple uniform pattern, ABU's being considered, is their a preference to one or the other, or something different, i.e. OD green, black, or coyote brown?

FlyTiger77

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 07, 2013, 06:29:29 PM
What is the typical camo/color scheme folks are using for their gear (packs, etc.)?  With woodland being the staple uniform pattern, ABU's being considered, is their a preference to one or the other, or something different, i.e. OD green, black, or coyote brown?

I prefer solid red. Dark blue in a pinch.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

Purple with pink polka dots?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

lordmonar

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 07, 2013, 06:35:13 PM
Purple with pink polka dots?

Flyer
You can't have those colors....those are just for our Special Secret Ranger teams!   >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Whatever fits the bill and does the job as economically as possible.. within reason. ;)

I bought the Hanna Montana "amplifiers" from Best Buy because they were $9.00 on clearance, and provide excellent quick speaker systems for meeting presentations. Because it fits the bill and was very economical.

..and I know it's not going to get swiped by anyone ;)

But just because the well constructed Hello Kitty camel pack is on clearance doesn't mean it's going to get bought..

External gear does not need to match, it needs to be functional.

ol'fido

I would love for all of our gear to be OD green including the field uniform. OD Jungles, jungle boots, and patrol caps forever!
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on September 07, 2013, 07:52:06 PM
I would love for all of our gear to be OD green including the field uniform. OD Jungles, jungle boots, and patrol caps forever!

What he said!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The Happy Sergeant

Something A) that you are going to be able to see in just about any environment(in case you lose it), and B) something as economical as possible. you don't have to blow the bank on some O.D. green pack, when a power rangers backpack will suffice
Fight to Fly, Fly to Fight, Fight to Win
                                                      ~USAF motto

Eclipse

Quote from: The Happy Sergeant on September 11, 2013, 12:05:51 AM
Something A) that you are going to be able to see in just about any environment(in case you lose it), and B) something as economical as possible. you don't have to blow the bank on some O.D. green pack, when a power rangers backpack will suffice

Which ranger?

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on September 11, 2013, 12:09:27 AM
Quote from: The Happy Sergeant on September 11, 2013, 12:05:51 AM

Which ranger?

He said Power Rangers...

Eclipse

Of course, but there's like 20 or 30 of them!

Has to be the orange!

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Looks like some people have drunk the strange Kool-Aid. It's not even Friday!

:P :P :P

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Walkman

Go Go Power Ranger-r-r-rs!

Ahem...

Along the lines others have said, any color really works. I think how the gear fits and its functionality is more important. Personally, I try to avoid black, just for the sake of visibility. My current 24 hour pack is red.

ol'fido

I can buy anything I need right now at Walmart in "Duck Commander" camo. But I still want all my stuff in OD.

Hawk200

a2capt

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 13, 2013, 06:50:03 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 11, 2013, 12:55:02 AMHas to be the orange!

There was an orange ranger?

Yes - primarily a native of the Mid-Atlantic and Southern Pacific coastal areas, rarely seen in the wild.
It has a loud, warbling, melancholy cry, but is considered fairly ineffective against predators in the habitats it shares.
For defense it will puff itself up to look like much larger prey, but has been shown to be susceptible to even a light breeze.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

The current Ground & Urban Direction Finding Team Task Guide recommends red or orange. Since CAPR 62-1 now requires an ANSI 2 compliant vest for "[a]ll outdoor ground functions of emergency services", the preferred bag/gear would be one that meets this requirement.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 13, 2013, 08:57:28 PM
The current Ground & Urban Direction Finding Team Task Guide recommends red or orange. Since CAPR 62-1 now requires an ANSI 2 compliant vest for "[a]ll outdoor ground functions of emergency services", the preferred bag/gear would be one that meets this requirement.

I wish they would specify a >COLOR<.

Saying ANSI II now means we have 1/2 in orange and 1/2 in lime yellow (which seems to be the way many agencies are moving).  We just can't get this right.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on September 13, 2013, 09:00:29 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 13, 2013, 08:57:28 PM

I wish they would specify a >COLOR<.

Saying ANSI II now means we have 1/2 in orange and 1/2 in lime yellow (which seems to be the way many agencies are moving).  We just can't get this right.

Agree. Although the Task Guide does specify that the reflective vest be "orange", CAPR 62-1 does not.

SarDragon

If I was King of CAP for a day, I'd go right to the lime yellow/green. In most instances, it is more visible than orange.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on September 13, 2013, 09:25:23 PM
If I was King of CAP for a day, I'd go right to the lime yellow/green. In most instances, it is more visible than orange.

Heh, my roommate's kid asked me last night why hunters had to wear orange. I explained to him that it was so the hunters wouldn't mistake a human wearing orange for a deer and wind up on some redneck's trophy wall.  He laughed a long while, then said "dumb rednecks".

Critical AOA

Equating hunters with rednecks is ridiculous.  Not that there is anything wrong with rednecks.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

ol'fido

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 14, 2013, 12:23:01 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 13, 2013, 09:25:23 PM

Heh, my roommate's kid asked me last night why hunters had to wear orange. I explained to him that it was so the hunters wouldn't mistake a human wearing orange for a deer and wind up on some redneck's trophy wall.  He laughed a long while, then said "dumb rednecks".
There is an old wive's tale that goes around down here about the "city slicker" who got a deer his first time out hunting. He proudly took it to the check station(when you still had to do that) and proudly told the game warden about how he got it and how much he was gonna enjoy all that venison. The old game warden allowed how it was a pretty good deer for a beginner and the "slicker" went on his way. A "redneck", one of those people who KNOWS what a deer looks like walked over to the Game Warden and said, "That dumb --- city slicker killed a MULE. Why didn't you tell him?"  The old Game Warden looked at the redneck and said, "I figured if he was dumb enough to shoot it, he could be dumb enought to eat it."

Garibaldi

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 14, 2013, 02:15:43 AM
Equating hunters with rednecks is ridiculous.  Not that there is anything wrong with rednecks.

There ain't nothin' wrong with no rednecks. You cain't insult one unless you are one. And I are one. Now, if I'd'a said dumb hick or hillbilly, THEN there'd be an issue. Also, most rednecks are hunters, but not all hunters are rednecks.

CavScout

I've never lost gear because it was subdued color or camo pattern. I have lost gear because I didn't secure it. There shouldn't be any problems with colors or patterns. If you want to be seen more easily from behind, wrap a reflective belt around your pack.

I'd recommend military surplus, because it's rugged and more cost effective. My CAP unit has lots of USGI Alice (OD and woodland) and Molle (woodland) packs for our GT members, and we've never lost equipment or people because of it.

Commercial stuff though; you get what you pay for.

TexasCadet

I have some really diverse gear. I use mainly MOLLE, but I also use some ALICE. My gear is also many different colors. OD ALICE, a woodland MARPAT pack, a OD gear mini-pack, and a tan deployment pack. On top of all that, I wear a yellow ANSI II compliant vest.

In short, use whatever floats your  boat.