Main Menu

Seimac ProFIND DF-500P

Started by billford1, October 31, 2011, 02:46:53 AM

billford1

Our Squadron has a Seimac ProFIND DF-500P that we acquired in January 2007. It worked ok up until about a year ago and then it became less and less usable. The Antennas need to be replaced. On another thread somebody gave me a link to a federal website for supplies to get replacements. Thanks again to that individual. After what I've read it seems like maybe we should opt for a replacement DF unit. The one working DF unit we have is an L-tronics LPER. Is there another unit that's used by CAP that is perhaps an improvement on the Seimac ProFIND DF-500P? Since the Squadron will have to pay for the antennas if we can find them it almost seems like a waste of time considering the comments I've read from others about the Seimac.

cap235629

The Seimac is a hunk of junk.  Purchase one of the new L-Pers
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Use search to see the general opinion.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

The Seimac is okay for what it was designed for, but just barely. It was originally intended for "man overboard" detection, which is about the least challenging environment for DF'ing. For our work, its virtually useless. I would go with either the L-Per, or the Australian MK -4 Sniffer , with a directional antenna from Bob Miller. Under no circumstances should you send any money to the people selling something called the "Tigerstrike".

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."