Main Menu

Re: Seimac ProFIND DF-500P

Started by billford1, July 31, 2011, 05:28:03 AM

billford1

I'm trying to find information about replacement parts for the Seimac ProFIND DF-500P DF Tracker Receiver. Has anyone ever bought a replacement set of the four screw-on antennas that attach to the receiver?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: billford1 on July 31, 2011, 05:28:03 AM
I'm trying to find information about replacement parts for the Seimac ProFIND DF-500P DF Tracker Receiver. Has anyone ever bought a replacement set of the four screw-on antennas that attach to the receiver?

The company is now know as Cobham Tracking  & Locating, Dartmouth, NS.
www.cobhamtl.com

Here's the GSA price list:
https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/ref_text/GS07F9227S/GS07F9227S_online.htm

Wow, I didn't even think we were using these.  We had one in the unit I gave back to wing, it would always give the wrong direction, almost like the logic board was fouled up so a left lobe signal would show up as a right lobe and vice versa.  Really strange.  I spent hours with a known source location trying to figure out IF it was me.  A NESA instructor for many years first tried the unit and told me it wasn't working right.
RM   

Major Lord

The Seimac unit I purchased on E-bay for evaluation was really only suitable for a "man overboard" direction finder, if even that. I suspect that it could be retrofit with an antenna array that might make it more useful; the PCB based antennas it uses are nearly worthless. Sell it on E-bay and get a Mark IV DF unit!

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Al Sayre

My old squadron has one.  I found it was ok from a long distance away, but the closer you get, the greater the error including as described above working backwards, but not all the time.  All in all I found it to be a generally useless piece of "equipment"and would take an old "Little LPer" any day of the week.  However, it's bright yellow color did make it easier to find the GT in BDU's wandering around lost following it...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787