Main Menu

New RCA hand held

Started by BillB, June 04, 2011, 06:21:49 PM

BillB

BR250 - Compact and Durable Two-Way Radio 
$199.00

Band      - Select - UHF VHF 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  In Stock
Ships Jun 6th

$199.00

Tell a Colleague   

The Motorola CP200 and Mag One killer!
Includes one of the longest lasting batteries available today
Works perfectly with your existing radios
Industry leading sound technology - super loud, super clear
FCC 2013 Narrowband compliant
Free phone support for the life of the radio
Only $199!
Smaller and Lighter than the CP200

Compact, reliable and simple to use!

The BR250 is the newest two-way radio by RCA Communications Systems. It has an improved, comfortable design with Reinforced Compound MoldingTM for extra durability and 800mW loud speaker with X-SoundTM technology that provides clear, low noise communications.

The BR250 meets the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) 2013 standards and requirements for narrowbanding as well as the Military Specifications for durability, shock, extreme temperatures, vibration, dust, and moisture.

The BR250 is completely compatible with your existing two-way radio system and it is great for most industrial applications, schools, hospitals, hotels, large churches, assisted living facilities, amusement parks, large warehouses and manufacturing facilities.

What's Included:

Ultra Long Lasting 2000mAh Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
One Hour Rapid Charger
Heavy Duty Screw-On Belt Clip
Heavy Duty Screw-In Accessory Jack
Antenna
Programming
Radio Warranty - Two Years
Details:

2013 FCC Compliant
FCC, IC, CE Certified
4 Watts UHF / 5 Watts VHF
450-470 MHz UHF / 136-174 MHz VHF
16 Channels
CTCSS / DCS
Narrowband / Wideband
X-Sound PlusTM – Enhanced Audio Clarity with 800mW Loud Speaker
Time-Out Timer
Battery Saver Mode
High / Low Power Switchable
Two Programmable Function Keys
VOX (Voice Activated Feature) - Needs to be requested and activated at the time of purchase.
MIL-STD-810C/D/E/F - Meets Military Specifications for Durability, Shock, Extreme Temperatures, Vibration, Dust, and Moisture.
Ultra Durable with Reinforced Compound Molding
Feels Comfortable in Your Hand
Weight: 9.5 oz
Dimensions: 4.69" H x 2.17" W x 1.3" D

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RRLE

Based on web reviews, you cannot program the radio yourself. It has to be done at the factory/distributor. The first time, with the order is free. Reprogramming runs $20 according to the reviews.

argentip

The radio also needs to be reviewd by the NTC and approved based upon the NTIA Narrowband specs.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

CAP.is.1337

Looks like they'd make great replacements for our aging IC-4008m's.

Quote from: RRLE on June 04, 2011, 06:53:46 PM
Based on web reviews, you cannot program the radio yourself. It has to be done at the factory/distributor. The first time, with the order is free. Reprogramming runs $20 according to the reviews.

Same for our EFJ's. I'm sure you can buy the CPS/RSS or equivalent.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

jks19714

The UHF frequency range of this radio isn't suitable for an ISR replacement (need 380-400 MHz).

john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: argentip on June 06, 2011, 04:39:56 PM
The radio also needs to be reviewd by the NTC and approved based upon the NTIA Narrowband specs.
Couldn't find the specifications on this radio.  May not be compliant.  Likely an overseas manufactured radio, and the RCA name was purchased for use.

Also there's nothing to prevent CAP Inc from getting an FCC "fleet" license (portable use only) for some commercial UHF radio frequencies.  Some Motorola Portable have 56 low power UHF channels (See as an example: http://www.freqofnature.com/mwiki/index.php?title=Business_Radio_Frequencies (go to bottom of page).     

My understanding is at one time CAP had some 5 watt UHF portables (not ISR's) for use at mission bases/special activities kept at various regions. 

I don't think the current ISR's are very durable the way the radio is constructed and would prefer something more durable but yet cost effective.
RM

RRLE

The info in that link is a bit dated. Some of the business frequencies are now part of  the unlicensed MURS.

arajca

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 16, 2011, 11:19:42 PM
Also there's nothing to prevent CAP Inc from getting an FCC "fleet" license (portable use only) for some commercial UHF radio frequencies.  Some Motorola Portable have 56 low power UHF channels (See as an example: http://www.freqofnature.com/mwiki/index.php?title=Business_Radio_Frequencies (go to bottom of page).     
Except that CAP was told to operate under NTIA or FCC, but not both. Additionally, the FCC would not guarantee that CAP would be able to have a uniform nationwide channel plan. The NTIA said a nationwide channel plan was not a problem.

CAP does have the ability to use some of the itinerant business channels, but that requires coordination with National and is limited to no more than 30 days at a time.

EmergencyManager6

CAP is a 'Federal Agency'  So all comms Must be through NTIA...not FCC.

As long as you are not conducting 'federal business' you can use MURS, FRS, B-Band  etc...  (Of course with propper licensing)

Major Lord

The Air Force has directly advised us that we may NOT use GMRS radios regardless of licensing. ( there is a addendum to 100-1 on the subject)  Naturally, we can use any radio at any time in the preservation of life or imminent danger to a vessel or aircraft. I would not assume, nor due I know of any regulatory release, allowing the use of non-CAP, Non NTIA approved radios, other than FRS.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

EmergencyManager6

Quote from: Major Lord on June 18, 2011, 05:26:28 AM
The Air Force has directly advised us that we may NOT use GMRS radios regardless of licensing. ( there is a addendum to 100-1 on the subject)  Naturally, we can use any radio at any time in the preservation of life or imminent danger to a vessel or aircraft. I would not assume, nor due I know of any regulatory release, allowing the use of non-CAP, Non NTIA approved radios, other than FRS.

Major Lord

GMRS is only legally available to a individual person on his/her family , for personal use.  No use to CAP anyway

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: arajca on June 17, 2011, 04:15:40 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 16, 2011, 11:19:42 PM
Except that CAP was told to operate under NTIA or FCC, but not both. Additionally, the FCC would not guarantee that CAP would be able to have a uniform nationwide channel plan. The NTIA said a nationwide channel plan was not a problem.

CAP does have the ability to use some of the itinerant business channels, but that requires coordination with National and is limited to no more than 30 days at a time.
Well, in our wing we've got a member who recycles some older motorola VHF  16 channel compliant portable for under $150.00 and sells to members within the wing only and this has resulted in an up swing of private ownership of radios that work fairly well into the local repeaters as well as simplex.    The ISR's run $90.00, 1/2 watt, and I don't think you can buy anymore -- out of production.    HOWEVER, also many businesses are getting out of using radio all together in lieu of using cellphones & text messaging, so on occasion some UHF portables/mobiles become available and they might be willing to donate to the local unit.  Usually these are small channel capacity radios BUT still may work.  We even had a chance of getting some 800/900 mhz mobile/base radios, but they were trunking system radios and I felt the expense to convert and license would be too high.

Of course even on the business bands the FCC will be mandating narrow banding in the future, so one has to be careful of any equipment, cause even donated equipment might become obsolete.

Actually there are situations (likely in many wings) where the local unit is too far away from any CAP repeaters and are basically using simplex with just a few radio units.  IF a commercial radio services offers some free use of portable UHF radios for use in the local area (repeater), this could work for local CAP type operations support.   This would be done via a loan type agreement and not a donation in kind of equipment.  It also might be possible for CAP individual members to rent/buy UHF portables and pay a nominal charge per month for repeater access --- so a lot of the membership could be on a net.  Generally the UHF portables do have a least one 'repeater talk around" channel so even away from the repeater some comms would be possible.
RM