Main Menu

Required time for safety?

Started by LisaPA, August 25, 2019, 03:28:54 PM

LisaPA

Is there a specified amount of time that must be spent on safety each month?

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: LisaPA on August 25, 2019, 03:28:54 PM

Pretty much 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

15 minutes per month.

See CAPR 62-1, page 1 (ICL)

Note also, in case it comes up, that Safety currency is no longer a requirement for participation.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

As Eclipse said, 15 minutes of Safety Education for the unit each month, plus the annual Safety Day/Risk Management lesson (Conduct between January and March of each year).

Holding Pattern

I set a timer for 15 minutes. If I can't get a safety point across in 15 minutes I'm doing it wrong:

Exception: Some subjects (Cybersecurity) require a 10 minute familiarization runup for those not regularly exposed to computers.

SarDragon

We typically spend 15-30 minutes on our safety brief every month. I am in a senior (flying) squadron, and and much of our safety focus is on aviation topics, but nowhere near all. We have several members who alternate presenting, and we all try to make it interesting, as well as informative.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Live2Learn

Quote from: LisaPA on August 25, 2019, 03:28:54 PM

Yes, as pointed out by Eclipse the scheduled safety ed has a min time for each month.  However, there's more to it than checkin' the box.  Are you discussing relevant topics, or just filling time?  Do you include a few minutes to highlight key hazards and risks as a lead in to activities?  How do you and others model behaviors that lead to mishap free outcomes?  This quote says it best:  "It is better to be careful a hundred times than to be killed once." (Mark Twain)

jhighman

The regulation doesn't say that the 15 minutes has to be in one continuous briefing either. If you meet twice each month and do ten minutes here and five there, that also "checks the box." But as mentioned, relevance and purpose is more important than merely filling a box. There are lots of ways to fill that fifteen minutes in meaningful ways other than lecture too but that's a subject for a different thread!

TheSkyHornet

Keep in mind that there's more to Safety Education than just a simple "watch out for this" briefing.

IAW CAPR 62-1 (3.d), the safety education training needs to include emphasis on proper application of risk management concepts in varying situations.

This is not a hazard/ORM briefing before conducting activities. The training should reflect the operations of the local unit and bring about knowledge and awareness of safety-related issues.

As a Safety Officer, I would not log credit for "It's hot outside. Stay hydrated" or "Let's make sure we're watching for those radio calls on taxiing in, and don't play with the GPS during surface movement."

I would expect that, for credit, a discussion on heat awareness would include identifying signs of heat illness and methods for monitoring the heat index; for piloting, perhaps, a re-emphasis of surface operations and a case study on a ground-based incident due to distractions.

The "class" needs to walk away with more than a reminder to drink water or to pay attention.

Eclipse

As per usual, NHQ takes a clear subject and makes it more complicated then necessary
by interchanging terminology and conflicting with itself.

This is what it actually says: 
CAPR 62-1, Page 6: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R062_001_85D0CB3FE48A5.pdf
"b. Safety Education: A presentation of a topic in a training environment where there is
interaction and/or an assessment to measure comprehension and content retention. Safety
education provides lessons and process learning to promote a strong safety awareness and habit
pattern."

Further in the document interchanges "education" with "briefing".  A briefing is being talked at
with facts or directions, "education" as NHQ/SE wants it, requires interaction. Can't be both
in this context and parameters when you're talking about "must" vs. "nice".

It would be difficult, frankly, to accomplish that in 15 minutes a month, however since there is literally
no barometer of content, nearly impossible to measure in any meaningful way.

In terms of "relevance" - it's common sense to understand that's relevance to CAP.
Tire pressure, winter driving, and turkey fryers don't fall into that category, nor even the
ubiquitous "hydration".

Why?  Because anywhere those are relevent to CAP, the member is already saturated with the information,
not to mention briefed repeatedly, so it just becomes time to check their streams, and for non-CAP related
stuff, people are inundated by it from every news source they use.

During my stints as Group and Unit CC, I directed my SEs to "each month take a 78, summarize it, write bullet points for
"what, why, and how to prevent it".  That's interactive, relevent, and quick.

You have no idea how hard it is to get people from "read the Beacon verbatim while facing the screen" to
"relevent discussion". 

"That Others May Zoom"

xyzzy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 26, 2019, 02:15:42 PM
Tire pressure, winter driving, and turkey fryers don't fall into that category

I have to disagree about tire pressure. I find that many in my unit find it hard to believe the proper pressure for the rear and spare tires in our CAP van is 80 PSI; they're just not used to dealing with such a high pressure. Also, everyone expects to be able to pop into any old gas station, put 75 cents in the machine, and fill the tires. Those coin-operated air pumps can't get up to 80 PSI.

Eclipse

Quote from: xyzzy on August 26, 2019, 02:38:47 PM

I have to disagree about tire pressure. I find that many in my unit find it hard to believe the proper pressure for the rear and spare tires in our CAP van is 80 PSI; they're just not used to dealing with such a high pressure. Also, everyone expects to be able to pop into any old gas station, put 75 cents in the machine, and fill the tires. Those coin-operated air pumps can't get up to 80 PSI.

That's my point above.

Those driving COVs are supposed to be more then briefed on CAP procedure, inspect the vehicles at least once a day, and
the fenders are all marked. Besides, COV PICs are the ones primarily responsible for tire pressure anyway since it's only checked once
per month.  Daily drivers are only doing visual inspections.

If they still aren't doing it, do you think a briefing is going to change that when they aren't even driving that day?
Not to mention all the cadets, and anyone without a CAP DL is going to sleep.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: xyzzy on August 26, 2019, 02:38:47 PM

The oddity and waste of time factor comes in when people take the tire pressure training a dozen times or more to get their ticket punched, never seeing the other presentations. (It's pretty obvious that the ticket punchers don't actually know the material beyond the second time they take it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.