I should have filed the paperwork...

Started by NIN, January 16, 2013, 02:44:19 AM

NIN

Many years ago, my girlfriend (later my wife) and I were living together in a house in downtown Detroit. (very long story that, too, but suffice to say it was a) not our house; and b) a very, very nice house)

One evening, we took our supper in the dining room, which was quite formal. I don't recall the actual meal, but my girlfriend must not have had anything to eat that day, as she was ravenously attacking the food.

Then it happened: she failed to properly and completely masticate her food. She swallowed and it got stuck.

Literally, from across the table, I saw her eyes start to go wide and she struggled to her feet, attempting to breathe and utterly unable to do so.

"Are you choking!" I asked.

She nodded, attempting again to intake life sustaining air and failing.

I leapt to my feet and with complete disregard for my own safety and that of her zyphoid process, performed the Heimlich maneuver carefully prescribed and Red Cross authorized abdominal thrusts.

On the second attempt, I very nearly snapped her spine due to the vigor of the thrust. Thankfully, out popped the offending food item to careen off the table and onto the floor.

"Are you OK?" I shouted, not quite grasping that the food had been lodged in her throat, not her ear canal.

"Yeah," she said. "I thought for sure I was a goner."

"Crap."

"What?"

"No witnesses. I can't get my CAP Lifesaving Medal. Darn it!"

I think I was in the dog house for quite some time after that.

Could be the reason I'm divorced, but it wasn't mentioned in the legal filings. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Devil Doc

Once upon a time, on 17 Feb 2007 i got a lovely Purple Ribbon the "Enemy Marksman Ribbon" or the "I didnt duck fast enough ribbon". I have prolly saved a few lives, who knows, congrats on saving your GF/Wife/Ex.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

sardak

QuoteThen it happened: she failed to properly and completely masticate her food.
Recently I was at a lunch time meeting where the safety officer's briefing was simply "Chew thoroughly, swallow deliberately."

Mike

Stonewall

This WAS submitted, but no action was taken by the then Sq/CC...  I'm not a "badge finder", but for once, someone submitted something on my behalf that I actually thought was warranted.  A simple signature and push to higher is all it needed.  Like you, NIN, I wish I would have filed the paperwork myself. 

Quote from: JodyOn August 26, 2006, while surfing at Mayport Beach, FL and coming ashore after multiple shark sightings and warnings by ocean rescue, Lt Col Stonewall and his friend noticed a father yelling for his young son who was caught in a current on a boogie board. 

Noticing a young lifeguard struggling to get through the waves the two took action to assist.  Realizing how bad the condition of the seas was and the very real threat of shark attack; both Lt Col Stonewall and his friend made a decision to risk their own lives and assist the lifeguard.  Lt Col Stonewall and his friend made it through the waves to reach the young child first.  The boy had already made it past the breakers and was in very deep water; neither Lt Col Stonewall nor his friend could touch the ocean floor. 

By this time the father had swum out with the lifeguard.  When they arrived, both were overwhelmed with exhaustion.  Lt Col Stonewall and his friend placed the young boy on top of one surfboard while the father and lifeguard grabbed on to the other surfboard.  Lt Col Stonewall and his friend slowly pulled the young boy's surfboard and they worked their way back to shore.  While en route, they were toppled by a large wave and had to reorganize everyone into position.  It was not until they got to knee deep water that additional lifeguards arrived.

Lt Col Stonewall's selfless act played a major role in the saving of the child's life in addition to assisting both the father and young lifeguard back to safety after their exhaustive swim. 

It is without a doubt that Lt Col Stonewall quick thinking, heroic action and willingness to risk his own life to save others reflects great credit upon him, the Florida Wing and Civil Air Patrol.
Serving since 1987.

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 16, 2013, 02:53:46 AM
Once upon a time, on 17 Feb 2007 i got a lovely Purple Ribbon the "Enemy Marksman Ribbon" or the "I didnt duck fast enough ribbon". I have prolly saved a few lives, who knows, congrats on saving your GF/Wife/Ex.
I know this doesn't mean much from a stranger on the Internet but thank you.

Devil Doc

Its ok New York Wing King, i appreciate it. I already got submitted for the reward, thats what the "V" is for. Its a subject of tall tells, i figured i would share my one of many :)
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Once upon a time, on 17 Feb 2007 i got a lovely Purple Ribbon the "Enemy Marksman Ribbon" or the "I didnt duck fast enough ribbon".

Almost choked on my lunch on that one.

Or to paraphrase Gen. Patton. "The idea is not to die get injured for your country but to make the other son of a CENSORED die get injured for his."

Devil Doc

Thanks, im actually modest about my service. Many brave men have died in honor, i was just the lucky one.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

stillamarine

Lol I like the Enemy Marksman Ribbon....I've heard the I forgot to duck medal one.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com