Wright Bros. Question

Started by Mariner15, May 15, 2012, 12:18:46 PM

Mariner15

Morning All,

After a cadet passes the Wright Brothers exam, do you shred the answer sheet, or is it to be forwarded to NHQ? I am getting different stories on this. And could you qoute the regulation where this is found. I have looked through 50-4 and 52-16 for help on this, and did not see the answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lt. Ward

jeders

Cadet passes exam -> Testing Officer (or someone with the right permissions) enter the completion into eServices -> answer sheet gets destroyed. I would recommend only shredding the answer key portion after separating the header section for the cadet's records, assuming you keep paper based records still.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

If it happens at the unit, I keep paper on it. Milestone tests, PT scores/passes, CD attendance, Essay and speech hard copies.

eServices has an audit trail of sorts, the paper bits are the audit trail for the locally generated stuff.

Cool Mace

Quote from: jeders on May 15, 2012, 01:15:43 PM
Cadet passes exam -> Testing Officer (or someone with the right permissions) enter the completion into eServices -> answer sheet gets destroyed. I would recommend only shredding the answer key portion after separating the header section for the cadet's records, assuming you keep paper based records still.

I think this would be the best way to go about it. Keep the header in the cadets file, and input the info into EServices.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

a2capt

** Header portion only, on my note above, I never keep answer sheets. A some point back when I spotted a tiny shredder on the close out table at Staples, for two dollars. Small, 5 inch wide, designed to put a folded sheet into and turn the handle. About the size of three Zippo lighters, end to end.

I was more for the gag factor than anything else, and it accomplished that. :)

I'm known to tear up the strip of paper where the answers are, into little bits and walk around the room and deposit portions in various receptacles. "If you wanna seek all those parts out, and re-assemble it, and figure out what test those answers were for ... have at it. But I think it would be easier to read the actual passages for the test.. "

Mariner15

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific, I do retain the header part, and only destroy the answer section.

One of my cadets passed  the Wright Brothers exam. Then we had an auditor tell my Assistant Testing Officer ( I was out of town), that the cadet would have to test again because the Assistant TO shredded the answer sheet (not the header), instead of mailing it to national. I have never done this before, nor have I even heard of it. That's why I am looking for clarification and maybe some regs to qoute, because I do not think it is right, that the cadet should not have to take this test again if he passed. I would like to be able to contest this for obvious reasons. Thank You.

LT Ward

RogueLeader

I've never mailed ANY portion of the test. I retain the header, and that's it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Mailing test answer sheets to NHQ went away in the '70s, or so. A long time ago.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nathan

Quote from: Mariner15 on May 19, 2012, 03:16:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific, I do retain the header part, and only destroy the answer section.

One of my cadets passed  the Wright Brothers exam. Then we had an auditor tell my Assistant Testing Officer ( I was out of town), that the cadet would have to test again because the Assistant TO shredded the answer sheet (not the header), instead of mailing it to national. I have never done this before, nor have I even heard of it. That's why I am looking for clarification and maybe some regs to qoute, because I do not think it is right, that the cadet should not have to take this test again if he passed. I would like to be able to contest this for obvious reasons. Thank You.

LT Ward

As far as I know, there is no reg to quote, because the requirement doesn't exist. There is nothing that says to send the answer sheets to National, but there is no regulation that says that there is no regulation that says we don't have to send the answer sheets to National.  :)

Just ask the auditor to show you in the regulations something to back up his/her assertion. The burden of proof is on them, not you.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

MajorM

Auditor?  Who is the auditor?  From inside CAP or outside?  The previous post is correct that you can't cite a reg since regs don't work like that.

If all else fails I would point the auditor toward NHQ.  A simple email from them should satisfy the auditor.  Then I'd find a different audit firm.

RogueLeader

Was it a subordinate unit inspection auditor?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Mariner15

Thanks for all the great feedback. It was the yearly Unit Inspection. There were several irregularities in the Auditors/Inspectors defiencies, that I will take up with them on their return inspection. Clearly the ones inspecting our unit know less about what is regulation than we do. They same to qoute more of that's how they do it/or seen it done vs. how it must be done. That's fine if you have the resources, but we do not.

LT. Ward

MajorM

I'm an SUI team member.  When you get your SUI report any finding (which are the only things you have to respond to) must be supported by a regulatory citation, and that citation must be listed next to the finding.  So take the test answer sheet as an example.  If they make that a finding they must include the reg cite...which will be most interesting since none exists.

MSG Mac

The online reporting makes the test "Official and Permenant". If the SUI inspector wants a copy, it takes two minutes to print out a complete Testing report from E services which can cover all the cadets in the Squadron, which is up to the minute and  current.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member