Main Menu

C/CMSgt Speech

Started by Sterling2013, May 29, 2019, 03:59:53 PM

Sterling2013

Hello all,

I am about to give my C/CMSgt Speech and was wondering if I could do a PowerPoint presentation to go along with it.  I don't know the regulations on this so I would appreciate it if you can give me some info.  But it does say something about visual aids in the evaluating form for the speech.  So I was wondering what kind of visual aids I could use.

Sincerely,
             C/CMSgt S. R.   
Cadet Flight Commander

Eclipse

Your speech can take any form you want, use PPT, etc., as long as it is relevent to the subject.

This is the critique form: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Critiques_61192D13EDA0C.pdf

Which should give you an idea of expectations.

FWIW, a 5-7 minute speech probably doesn't need much A/V.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sterling2013

Thank you.  I really want to make my speech as best as possible.  I appreciate you taking your time to help me!

Sincerely,
              C/CMSgt S. R.
Cadet Flight Commander

GaryVC

To me the fact that the speech critique form has the line "handles visual aids with ease" suggests that some kind of visual aid should be used. It doesn't have to be power point. It can be a chart the cadet has prepared.

TheSkyHornet

It could even be a whiteboard.

I love presentations that are interactive (more of a forum) than a lecture (sermon).

There's nothing wrong with talking to and engaging with the audience during your presentation. The point is to ensure cadets who intend to become cadet officers are capable of giving a professional presentation that is informative, meaningful, and effective in conveying its intended message. Do so in whatever way can be accomplish in under 7 minutes. I like to see a "speech giver" ask questions to the audience ("Does anyone have an opinion, maybe someone who disagrees?").

Whatever you do, don't B.S. the topic. I had a cadet who, during the feedback portion (review) who said he didn't actually agree with his points but felt like his argument made a good essay. You may check the boxes in doing that, but you're going to make me question how you expect to lead others if you're spewing out orders and philosophical points that you don't believe in. You may pass the Chief Speech, but might not pass your review board.