New CAP NHQ Structure Announced

Started by Pylon, January 12, 2007, 04:28:35 AM

Pylon

This official announcement from NHQ just passed into my inbox.  It announces structural changes to Civil Air Patrol at the national level. 

Brig Gen Courter is now serving as both National Vice and Chief of Staff after Col Kaufmann's move to another position.  Four new Deputy Chief of Staff positions have been created.  The announcement does not mention the new Command Chief Master Sergeant at all, but the position appears in the attached new National org chart.  The policy letter indicates changes to CAPR 20-1 are forthcoming.

It's signed by Generals Pineda and Courter.  See attached:

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JAFO78

The comments on this should be good. 

Myself I have No Option.

Why?

Not current member.

Let the fun begin...............
JAFO

BlackKnight

If my count is correct, CAP/CC now has 19 direct reports when you consider the 8 Region CCs.  That means only 25 minutes per day per subordinate, assuming he spends all 8 hours per day on supervision and conflict resolution instead of strategic planning.   

Good thing he gets free email.  ;D
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

afgeo4

CCMSgt?  Am I smelling the birth of proper NCO grades in CAP?

One thing I'm not clear about is... if they're trying to minimize the span of control of senior NHQ officers, why are they tasking the same person with both, Vice and Chief of Staff jobs? Did they fail to train a replacement for the Chief of Staff or do they just not trust anyone else?

Also, why won't they say what job the Colonel is moving to?  He's a little too high up the chain of command to hide him. Unless he'll be Aide de Camp for Jimmy Hoffa.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 12, 2007, 08:42:02 AM

Already a discussion on this here, started by the CCMSgt of CAP himself.

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 12, 2007, 08:42:02 AMAlso, why won't they say what job the Colonel is moving to?  He's a little too high up the chain of command to hide him. Unless he'll be Aide de Camp for Jimmy Hoffa.

They have said what position the good Colonel Kaufmann is moving to in a previous announcement.  That also has it's own discussion thread here as well.

NYWG Historian

According to the 12/06 issue of the NER newsletter, Col Diduch is leaving to become the National Chief of Staff (timeframe not stated--just says "shortly").

Link here: http://www.ner.cap.gov/news/northeaster_dec2006.pdf
Peter J. Turecek, Major, CAP
Historian
New York Wing

Pylon

Quote from: BlackKnight on January 12, 2007, 07:15:22 AM
If my count is correct, CAP/CC now has 19 direct reports when you consider the 8 Region CCs.  That means only 25 minutes per day per subordinate, assuming he spends all 8 hours per day on supervision and conflict resolution instead of strategic planning.   

Good thing he gets free email.  ;D

Actually, he's just a volunteer - so he has a full-time civilian job on top of his responsibilities as CAP's National Commander.

But as an aside, I don't need 25 minutes a day with my direct report supervisor.  In my day job (ex: the one that pays me) I am given sufficient space to exercise my professional judgement and carry out my duties without having to run every task by my supervisor.  With 19 direct reports and having to head an agency the size of CAP, I would assume Maj Gen Pineda's leadership style would almost be forced to take on a similar approach.

lordmonar

That is why you have staff meetings.  One 1 hour meeting and we take care of all of that conflict resoluiton issues and move on.

And at this level of leadership....the amount of one on one supervision should be very minimal.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

afgeo4

Quote from: NYWG Historian on January 12, 2007, 03:01:57 PM
According to the 12/06 issue of the NER newsletter, Col Diduch is leaving to become the National Chief of Staff (timeframe not stated--just says "shortly").

Link here: http://www.ner.cap.gov/news/northeaster_dec2006.pdf

Welcome, Sir!

Any word on who's taking over for Col Diduch?
GEORGE LURYE

NYWG Historian

Happy New Year, George!

No word on a replacement.  I believe Col Diduch's note in the newsletter requested that all applications be in by December, so I would assume considerations are underway....
Peter J. Turecek, Major, CAP
Historian
New York Wing

BlackKnight

Quote from: Pylon on January 12, 2007, 03:08:06 PM
Quote from: BlackKnight on January 12, 2007, 07:15:22 AM

Actually, he's just a volunteer - so he has a full-time civilian job on top of his responsibilities as CAP's National Commander.
True.  I forgot to mention that I was referring to the other 8 hours, the set between his day job and sleep.  :)

QuoteBut as an aside, I don't need 25 minutes a day with my direct report supervisor.  In my day job (ex: the one that pays me) I am given sufficient space to exercise my professional judgement and carry out my duties without having to run every task by my supervisor.  With 19 direct reports and having to head an agency the size of CAP, I would assume Maj Gen Pineda's leadership style would almost be forced to take on a similar approach.
I don't disagree. Certainly that's the way things should work.  But I doubt the CAP upper echelon chain of command works that way today.  I expect that with a 60+% annual turnover rate of wing and region commanders there's a lot of one-on-one supervision and handholding going on.   

Anyway, my attempted tongue-in-cheek observation was that 19 direct reports is far too many to manage effectively. It violates all modern management practice.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

flyguy06

Quote from: Pylon on January 12, 2007, 02:16:59 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 12, 2007, 08:42:02 AM

Already a discussion on this here, started by the CCMSgt of CAP himself.

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 12, 2007, 08:42:02 AMAlso, why won't they say what job the Colonel is moving to?  He's a little too high up the chain of command to hide him. Unless he'll be Aide de Camp for Jimmy Hoffa.

They have said what position the good Colonel Kaufmann is moving to in a previous announcement.  That also has it's own discussion thread here as well.

Where is the discussion about where COL Haufman is moving? I cant find it

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Pylon on January 12, 2007, 04:28:35 AM
This official announcement from NHQ just passed into my inbox.  It announces structural changes to Civil Air Patrol at the national level. 

Brig Gen Courter is now serving as both National Vice and Chief of Staff after Col Kaufmann's move to another position.  Four new Deputy Chief of Staff positions have been created.  The announcement does not mention the new Command Chief Master Sergeant at all, but the position appears in the attached new National org chart.  The policy letter indicates changes to CAPR 20-1 are forthcoming.

And all those that launched into a vicious attack on the Chief questioning his position and who is was need to apologize to him.  If I am correct  he was even called a 'troll'.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 15, 2007, 03:25:41 AM

And all those that launched into a vicious attack on the Chief questioning his position and who is was need to apologize to him.  If I am correct  he was even called a 'troll'.

[nodding]

And people wonder why message forums have a checkered reputation...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Pylon

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on January 15, 2007, 03:28:33 AM

Discussion communities such as ours only gain such reputations because of those among us who act unprofessional.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Pylon on January 15, 2007, 04:26:14 AM

Discussion communities such as ours only gain such reputations because of those among us who act unprofessional.

That's only part of it IMHO, but you're on the right track.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

SarDragon

Quote from: Pylon on January 15, 2007, 04:26:14 AM

And IMNSHO, the people posting here seem to have varying individual ideas on what constitutes professional behaviour, and when it isn't required. Oh, and when attention to detail matters, and when it doesn't.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

I disagree. I NEVER doubted the position was there. I doubted that was him on this message board. I am still not 100% sure who that was. Anyone can log in and use any name they want to

Moved response from within quote - MIKE

afgeo4

Ok, so what does the CCMsgt do?  Normally (in the air force) they answer to the CC for the condition and readiness of the enlisted force.  Do we have an enlisted force?
GEORGE LURYE

Major Carrales

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 16, 2007, 01:17:46 AM

I disagree. I NEVER doubted the position was there. I doubted that was him on this message board. I am still not 100% sure who that was. Anyone can log in and use any name they want to

Moved response from within quote - MIKE

I recall a thread I made here about "accountability" and having people identified.  I made the mistake of calling it a "by invitiation" forum.  It was lambasted, but under such a forum this degree of doubt would be a non-issue since everyone would know who was who.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454