Factory refurbished 172

Started by 41839j, April 02, 2016, 12:01:11 PM

41839j

Anyone have any experience with these?  We are supposed to be getting one.  Are they nice?  What kind of interiors, panels, and avionics are they using?   Are they truly as good as new?

NIN

Are those the Afghan 172s that got saved from the crusher?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

FW

To the best of my knowledge, "The Factory" does not refurbish C172s, however CAP has a great program to "Zero Time" our existing fleet of 172s, 182s, and 206s.  The aircraft are given new engines, new paint and interiors, and new avionics (G500 and Garmin WAAS stack). Autopilot, if previously installed, is overhauled.  I'm pretty sure aircraft selected for refurb have less than 3000hrs on the airframe.  The results look great.  They fly just fine.
Good as new? That's subjective.  New 172s have G1000 stacks and a G700 autopilot. 

41839j

Thanks for the answer.  Any idea who actually does the work and how long these "warmed over" planes can be serviceable?

Sorry if I sound dissapointed, but that's NOT how this was represented to us.

SarDragon

These planes will probably outlast your time in CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Plus it sounds about as close to "factory new" as you can get with out new aluminum. 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

FW

Quote from: 41839j on April 02, 2016, 03:45:30 PM
Thanks for the answer.  Any idea who actually does the work and how long these "warmed over" planes can be serviceable?

Sorry if I sound dissapointed, but that's NOT how this was represented to us.

Don't be disappointed.  The Aircraft look great, fly just as good as any "new" aircraft, and have a life span of many more years. The useful life of a Cessna is somewhere around 20,000 hours. At 200 hours per year, the average Cessna will last 100 years.  I don't think we will have a problem.  Also, understand we buy about 10-12 new aircraft every year.  The age of our fleet is not an issue, neither is the age of any of our aircraft. I'd rather be concerned with the continued proficiency of our pilots.....

41839j

So I can expect a Garmin G500 with a 430 or so, no autopilot and a standard cloth interior?  That is typical?

FW

Check out AOPA's online article on the subject. They have some great pics.

41839j

Are you referring to the article from 2011 or 2012?  That's about all I could find and it was very short on details.  It looked like steam guages and an Aspen.

That still the case?

FW

Live2Learn

Here's an Iraqi AF Cessna.  Might be one of these.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

41839j

Thanks all.  I guess it doesn't really matter anyway.  We had an older plane that had bad paint, a horrible interior, and 20 year old avionics.

When it came due for overhaul, CAP just put it up for auction.

I'm not sure that we will even get a refurbished one as promised.  They just assigned another older plane to us that's kind of long in the tooth.

Thanks anyway.

PHall

Quote from: 41839j on April 03, 2016, 07:58:11 PM
Thanks all.  I guess it doesn't really matter anyway.  We had an older plane that had bad paint, a horrible interior, and 20 year old avionics.

When it came due for overhaul, CAP just put it up for auction.

I'm not sure that we will even get a refurbished one as promised.  They just assigned another older plane to us that's kind of long in the tooth.

Thanks anyway.

Who made the promise?
About the only people who could make that promise and have some chance of keeping it are the Wing Commander and the Wing Aircraft Manager.

41839j

Squadron commander after multiple discussions with Wing, but it doesn't matter at this point.

It is what it is.

arajca

1. Has the refurb'd aircraft arrived yet?

2. Do you have need of an aircraft for your unit?

3. Could this be a temporary measure to keep your unit flying until the refurb arrives? Especially if the unit that had the "long in the tooth" aircraft wasn't flying it enough.

NIN

Some wings (maybe yours, maybe not) rotate aircraft around on a regular basis. Mine does.  Every 60-70 days, we get a different plane. 

My unit is about to swap out our round-dial C182 for one of the G1000 birds.  We knew it was coming, so the squadron ops officer and the check pilot have been working on G1000 ground training to get anybody not glass-qualified up to speed on the switchology and such prior to its arrival. Once its here, they'll do any Form 5 rides necessary and then start flying the (wheel) pants off of it.

we're small enough, we can do that regularly and do so on a pretty consistent basis.  The plane, while in our care, isn't OUR plane. Its the Wing's plane that we have to work to maintain use of. (and we do)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP