AOPA General Aviation Security online course

Started by RiverAux, January 02, 2008, 12:33:22 AM

RiverAux

The new AOPA General Aviation Security online course is available here: AOPA http://flash.aopa.org/asf/gasecurity/gasecurity.cfm .  With all the money they obviously put into the course design (sharp photos, etc.), you would think there would be more "meat" to it.  Took about 10 minutes for me and I went through all the optional stuff. 

♠SARKID♠

While working EAA this year, a gentleman came up to our command post.  That day, he had sat in on an aviation security class, much like the one you posted.  He got so worked up about the whole "airport neighborhood watch" thing, that he came up to us, saying that there were terrorists on the airport! Apparently, the flight line told him to come to us.  I guess the uniforms made us look like we were in charge, and in retrospect, we really are the only "authority symbol" at the airport.

CAP: What makes you think they're terrorists?
Man: Well, they're going around takin' photographs of planes, and they're talkin' real funny, and they're actin' pretty suspicious.
CAP: Okay, well, lets go take a look...
Man: Yeah, I took that airport security class today, and they said that I should report suspicious activity, and well, I'm reportin' suspicious activity.

Turns out it was a couple of British tourists doing some plane spotting.
I fully believe in airport security for small airfields.  You can do a lot with a Learjet or a cropduster.

star1151

Quote from: RiverAux on January 02, 2008, 12:33:22 AM
With all the money they obviously put into the course design (sharp photos, etc.), you would think there would be more "meat" to it.
That's my issue with the course the TSA initially made for CFI's.  Completely pointless with no actual information.  The answer for most questions on the final quiz was "contact your supervisor for more direction."  Not helpful.

I took a look at the AOPA course but it took too long to load each section.  If you're going to make a course like that, more meat and less design is better, at least for me.